Scope on 308 saiga

Does anyone have any experience with the receiver cover scope mounting systems? Are they any good? They seem less expensive than the mount that attaches from the side. Are they stable? Do you lose zero each time you clean the rifle?

Thanks for the answers!

Does anyone have any experience with the receiver cover scope mounting systems? Are they any good? They seem less expensive than the mount that attaches from the side. Are they stable? Do you lose zero each time you clean the rifle?

Thanks for the answers!

They are generally not thought very highly of, because of the instability of the receiver cover and loss of zero as you stated.

Not only will this mount system lose zero every time you clean the weapon, it will also lose zero every time you fire the weapon. These are made to satiate the american need to start hanging things from our rifles. Don't get me wrong... scoping an AK is not necessarily a bad idea but without the right mount you are chasing a result that you will never achieve. I might suggest that if your weapon does not have a side mount it might be better off left with the iron sights. Just an opinion based on experience. Now... The iron sights can be greatly improved with the addition of a mojo sight, but that should be left to another thread...

Not only will this mount system lose zero every time you clean the weapon, it will also lose zero every time you fire the weapon. These are made to satiate the american need to start hanging things from our rifles. Don't get me wrong... scoping an AK is not necessarily a bad idea but without the right mount you are chasing a result that you will never achieve. I might suggest that if your weapon does not have a side mount it might be better off left with the iron sights. Just an opinion based on experience. Now... The iron sights can be greatly improved with the addition of a mojo sight, but that should be left to another thread...

have you had one of those rails and had problems or just speculation?

Ditto on the uselessness of the cover mounts. I have also had big problems using using the side mounts. They seem to be so far off in one or more directions that I have to shim the mount. And I have trouble knowing how to shim it the right way. All my other rifles are easier to scope.

Monomonk

A very tight fitting top cover mount can sometimes work alright. I had one once on a SAR3 and it was good for 3" groups with it at 100 yards. A siderail mount will work much better though and doesn't cost that much more.

If you get a siderail mount, be sure to get a scope with a large range of adjustment. The siderails often aren't perfectly aligned with the bore and having that extra bit of adjustment is usually enough to compensate.

It really looks like a nice rifle ! At what range is it zeroed and with what type of ammo? What loads shoot the best? Standard weight bullets or heavier? How far has been your longest shot and at what type of target and conditions? Does that com bloc scope work well? Are your windage and elevation changes repeatable with that scope?

Do you have an easy time using your scope with that stock? (cheek weld) Or does your head move around alot? Do you use it from the bench or do you sling up? If you do sling up,do you notice an impact change when you sling up?

I am really interested and I'm not trying to be a smart ass. :smoke:

the posp scopes are the way to scope an ak. especially a 308.

i tried the cover mount on 308 and could not get it to hold zero. however, on my 223 after i torqued the hell out of the set screws it held zero!

cdnn has the best deal on posp 8x42 scope. and it's the rarer BLACK model. looks damn good on my saiga 308. it holds zero, optics are crystal clear, and shoots nice tight groups. also has illuminated reticle.

If lining up on the barrel centerline is what you're looking for, I went with this combo at the suggestion of someone here.

mnt978.jpg

from http://www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html

+

akm_ar-15_m16_weaver_mount_rifle-scopes_8x42W.jpg

from http://www.binocularsmart.com/scopes/ak-ak...ver-mount.shtml

I'll try to take & post pics after I get the rifle back from my smith.

I fired a couple hundred rounds before I took my rifle apart for some mods and conversion, and was very pleased to find that it held zero even after removing the mount and switching back and forth between an NCstar red-dot sight mounted on another one of the above mounts.

That is the same UTG mount that CDNN sells. I have one on an X39 rifle. It does not line the scope up directly over the barrel. Mine is off to the right. It didn't matter in terms of sighting in, I thought initially that it might be a problem in using up windage but it only took a few clicks to bring it in.

It works fine but to my eye it appears to be center right. Again, in any case, it works and I think it was $40. Shot 5 hogs with it so far and the light rail has been great, got a Surefire 9V on it.

NY I just got the scope and have'nt had a chance do do any shooting.

It really looks like a nice rifle ! At what range is it zeroed and with what type of ammo? What loads shoot the best? Standard weight bullets or heavier? How far has been your longest shot and at what type of target and conditions? Does that com bloc scope work well? Are your windage and elevation changes repeatable with that scope?

Do you have an easy time using your scope with that stock? (cheek weld) Or does your head move around alot? Do you use it from the bench or do you sling up? If you do sling up,do you notice an impact change when you sling up?

NY I just got the scope and have'nt had a chance do do any shooting.

When you do get a chance to run her through the ringer, please let us know about the results. :smoke: