NEW OWNER QUESTIONS

Im buying a SAIGA 308 16inch, as my newest "zombie" rifle. My initial thoughts are not to put a pistol grip conversion on it; but Id like to put some rails on the handguard for lights and maybe convert the mags to 10rounders. Im not really sure what else to do, so Im open to suggestions.

Im more interested in practical changes rather than just dress ups, but Im willing to entertain any suggestions. My rifle has the standard plastic stock, because I couldnt find a wood version available. Im thinking this will be my "poor mans" M1A SOCOM.

Any suggestions?

Im buying a SAIGA 308 16inch, as my newest "zombie" rifle. My initial thoughts are not to put a pistol grip conversion on it; but Id like to put some rails on the handguard for lights and maybe convert the mags to 10rounders. Im not really sure what else to do, so Im open to suggestions.

Im more interested in practical changes rather than just dress ups, but Im willing to entertain any suggestions. My rifle has the standard plastic stock, because I couldnt find a wood version available. Im thinking this will be my "poor mans" M1A SOCOM.

Any suggestions?

A conversion is "practical" and not "dress up. A conversion will allow you to utilize you saiga as a "zombie gun". A pistol grip aids in so many things like deployment with sling, and relaoding while remainining on target. Your posture is better. And a coversion will keep you compliant so you can use USA-made hi-cap mags. The new Samson AK rail should work with a S308, although no one has tried it yet.

All the changes you make to a saiga are practical. It is only in its bastardized form because of import restrictions.

I am new to Saigas myself and I am in the middle of a conversion as this will also be my "poor mans M1A". I highly recommend it as it lets you trick out your rifle to your desires and being able to use 20 round US made mags just makes it better. The conversion is real easy and many people here will be happy to aid you through any trouble spots. GO for it.

Any suggestions?

I think you should put a 3 rails on the front and mount a laser to each one. The zombies will think a Predator is coming after them.

pr-laser.jpg

I hope you know I'm kidding... :aliens:

It's funny no one brought up the fact that the factory trigger SUCKS!!! If you want a poor mans M1A, for God's sake you need to improve accuarcy. Therefore do the conversion. The RSA trigger is balls deluxe, or a Tapco G2 with a good polish job is also great.

I do agree that the stock trigger is crappy but I'm under the impression that a PG conversion isn't necessary to improve it. Dinzag's website has a drop in fire control group for the non-converted .308 and I thought BRG3 had one also.

edelweiss there are hi-cap mags available for the weapon but I think you need to be 922r compliant to use them. I'd love to get some myself but I have to wait until someone puts out a 15rd mag because I live in NJ. If and when that happens I'll do the PG conversion

I actually like it without the PG for now atleast, But I wish I could have found one with a wooden stock......Any suggestions where I could find a replacement wooden stock set???

Im thinking Id like to put two short rails on the forearm. One on each side far enough forward to be out of my grip area, so I can mount a couple of lights. Im not sure what else I want to do. Any more suggestions????

edelweiss,

Take a look at forum member BattleRifleG3's posts or send him a PM. He has custom wooden stocks for both converted and non-converted weapons. The only thing I'm not sure about is if he has a stock for the .308.

I am also assuming that you are looking for a wooden handguard as well when you mean a stock set? I'm not sure if BRG3's sells them but another forum member (Bossman) did a write up about his .308 and the multiple configurations he has for it. I think the wooden stuff he made himself but it ought to give you some ideas. Keep in mind his set-up deviates from the standard in that he switches back and forth from pistol grip to shoulder stock and fabricated a means to do so.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry127299

OR........You can do something really novel and do very little mods to it and use the mod money to buy tons of extra ammo and mags and bring the rifle to Defensive Carbine course or match and see if it (and you!!) hold up to the test! A rifle is useless and very expensive and inefficient club without ammo and extra mags or without a skilled operator behind the butt!!

So many people get so carried away with hanging ornaments off of their rifles that they don't have any money left over for practice ammo or extra mags. The very reason for a rifle instead of shotgun is for medium to long range target engagement.....Something that can't be done without loads of practice. So do yourself a favor and buy lots of ammo while you still can. Ammo prices have gone through the roof lately due to commodity prices going higher and higher due to our lovely gov't making too much funny money!

Good luck in your choice..........................Hope you choose................................Wisely! :devil:

Im working for the look of something like a G43 of sorts, but with modern touches. Thats what I ment by the SOCOM reference. If this 16inch works out, Ill attempt the same with a 22 inch version. I never intended this to be a tac driver, I have percision rifles for that. This is more of a tough hard hitting carbine for relatively close work, with (I hope) the ability to hit something the size of a paper plate at say 200-300 meters. Thats why I want to hang all the lights on it. Someone on another forum suggested three lasers for the Alien vs Predator look....

I do agree that the stock trigger is crappy but I'm under the impression that a PG conversion isn't necessary to improve it. Dinzag's website has a drop in fire control group for the non-converted .308 and I thought BRG3 had one also.

edelweiss there are hi-cap mags available for the weapon but I think you need to be 922r compliant to use them. I'd love to get some myself but I have to wait until someone puts out a 15rd mag because I live in NJ. If and when that happens I'll do the PG conversion

?? What is 922 compliant mean?? I've hear that alot today.

• 4 months later...

So heres my build update:SAIGA/SOCOM

SAIGA 308 16 inch barrel

Samson rail

AK top cover with flush mounted rail and HK sight

Adjustable cheek piece (made for M14)

Trijicon scope (NV in the future)

Two Surefire 6P flashlights mounted at 9 and 3 O'clock in Viking Tactics mounts

Possible green laser at 6 O'clock in the future then I'll add a IR filter on on light and perhaps a IR laser insted of the green laser

Im stocking up on factory 8 round mags, so far I have 7 of them (I may convert them to 10 rounders). I actually like the shorter size because it keeps the rifle more compact.

I picked up an two extra stocks, now one is painted desert tan and OD green. I have two sets of rail covers in tan and green, (round and ladder style).

Im thinling about a short "K-grip" if I dont have to mount it too far forward to change the shorter mags.

If also been contemplating adding weight to the butt stock to balance all the forward wieght. So far plumbers putty seems to be a good choice. It molds easy enough and never gets hard.

The fake checkering always bothered me on the stock, so I cut off a length of inner tube and stretched it over the grip of the stock.

Its still a work in progress and its no longer a cheap project but its a rifle Id take to war, even if its against zombies or corner pharmacutical vendors.

Edited by edelweiss