Hey quick question, im looking to put some wood handgaurds on my bitch. that being said, I believe i need a lower retainer, like the one dinzag makes. What is the difference (besides the obvious) with the pin on retainer, and the bolt on one?

Also, I am looking for dark blonde, maybe reddish wood gaurds... are there are upper handgaurd + gas tube combos out there? I am not looking to spend a whole lot of money here.

Thanks,

DenseCity

The bolt on retainer doesn't require any mods to install it. The press on retainer requires you to press off the FSB and gas block to install it. The press-on is way cheaper, but theres more work involved. So unless you know how to press off your FSB and gas block, go with the bolt on retainer. They both do the exact same thing: allow you to use any regular AK lower handguard. As for the upper handguard, you'll need a new gas tube http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/akgt1.html . I'm not sure if there are any upper handguard/gas tube combos, someone else might know though.

Edited by 22_Shooter
As for the upper handguard, you'll need a new gas tube.
Only if he wants to use standard AK gas tube wood.

Well he did say he was looking for wood furniture. But putting that aside, I was under the impression you needed to replace the Saiga gas tube with a regular AK one, to make any furniture fit, no?

Edited by 22_Shooter

If you want the "AMD-63" look, the stock Saiga gas tube is fine. amd63reducedhb3.jpg

You can also use an Ultimak gas tube, if you like (it completely replaces the standard AK gas tube). CrystalMAK90.jpg

But, yes, if you want an AKM/AK-101 clone, a regular ol' AK gas tube needs to be found. ak101mr3.gif

thanks thankssssss its just nuts to spend like $150 just on handgaurds, retainer, gas tube... son of a bitch.

Son of a Bitch, indeed. I know how you feel. It seems like an awful lot of cash to spend considering on how much you paid for the gun. I tend to think in percentages and not actual dollars ($150 being roughly 50% of what you pay for a new gun).

Look at it this way, though: if you really like it, you'll keep it for at least five years. Average out the total cost over that time. That's how I tend to look at it (assuming the cash I'm putting out now doesn't deprive me of grocery or beer money).

Besides, if you do get rid of it at some point, you'll probably find someone who will give you the price you put into it for parts on one of the gun sites on the web. They'll have basically paid for the fun you had with it.

It seems like an awful lot of cash to spend considering on how much you paid for the gun.

Yeah, but when you're done, you have a rifle that is often compared to VEPR's and Arsenals, for much less. Not that swapping out furniture affects function, but you get the AK look back.

Edited by 22_Shooter
thanks thankssssss its just nuts to spend like $150 just on handgaurds, retainer, gas tube... son of a bitch.

Son of a Bitch, indeed. I know how you feel. It seems like an awful lot of cash to spend considering on how much you paid for the gun. I tend to think in percentages and not actual dollars ($150 being roughly 50% of what you pay for a new gun).

Look at it this way, though: if you really like it, you'll keep it for at least five years. Average out the total cost over that time. That's how I tend to look at it (assuming the cash I'm putting out now doesn't deprive me of grocery or beer money).

Besides, if you do get rid of it at some point, you'll probably find someone who will give you the price you put into it for parts on one of the gun sites on the web. They'll have basically paid for the fun you had with it.

It is the percentage that kills me.. but you are correct, infact i plan on keeping the gun until it doesnt function. Being that it is an AK i dont think this will happen anytime soon. This is the only gun i own, and has turned into a very consuming hobby that im growing to love. I'll go ahead and make it look how i want - thanks for the motivational post.

It is the percentage that kills me.. but you are correct, infact i plan on keeping the gun until it doesnt function.
Please send me your secret of immortality, if you would.
This is the only gun i own
Don't worry, this design of firearm breeds like rabbits (and has been known to reproduce asexually). You will soon have more company in the safe... Edited by nalioth

LOL, brother I used to see the gun like you do, now I see them as the best

barrel and receiver money can buy, all the work done for me at the factory

no head space, no barrel mount on receiver, and about expenses on parts

well what you want to do with it is how much you going to pay in parts for

the gun. In few cant complain, in a lone run still cheaper than any other gun

out there even with all the extra stuff you can install on them.

Brother I used to have a sar1 after new furniture, new trigger, ultimak

mount, new finish, cost more than the Saiga and same done to the Saiga rifle

and have to work a lot more, just to make the tool marks disappear on the sar1.

yeah the truth is that im sure i will expire before the gun does. im 24 now, got anoter half century of shooting left so well see..

SO - now back to the subject at handddddd.... i checked kvar and global trades, they dont seem to have what i want.. im looked for a dark reddish blonde (yeah i know im picky), kinda like a krinkov set

close to this color http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=251&page=4

Anyone know i could get the goods? dont all talk at once

I think i may have seen a guy on here who makes handgaurds unfinished and sells them... does anyone know what I could find something like this?

Lastly - wheres the cheapest place to buy AK gas tubes... kvar is around $20

Thanks,

DenseCity

Global trades has some pretty good prices on gas tubes.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_gasblks.html

1) Global Trades is no longer in business. The name was purchased by some muckety-muck consortium. The company and people formerly known as Global Trades are now known as Elk River Tool & Die

2) That page was last updated in 2005 (if you read all the way to the bottom, it's quite plain), so yeah, I guess that page DOES have some good prices.

If you like the Galil style that Tapco sells then I can show you a cheap alternative instead of using the retainer. All I did was use a single rail barrel mount (@ $20) and the Galil hand guard. I turned the top portion of the mount in towards the reciever and cut notches in the part of the handguard where the retainer goes. This locked the hg in place with no movement up/down or side/side, plus as a bonus i have a rail directly in front of the hg for an accessory. I can post pic if needed.

If you like the Galil style that Tapco sells then I can show you a cheap alternative instead of using the retainer. All I did was use a single rail barrel mount (@ $20) and the Galil hand guard. I turned the top portion of the mount in towards the reciever and cut notches in the part of the handguard where the retainer goes. This locked the hg in place with no movement up/down or side/side, plus as a bonus i have a rail directly in front of the hg for an accessory. I can post pic if needed.

Yeah, I'd like to see a pic of that.

that sounds cool, can we see more?

post-659-1199728393.jpg

I will take a pic when my wife brings the camera home from work. With this 2 slot mount instead of lining up the 4 screws on the top section, you just line up 2 of them, and with the portion sticking out past the mount you slide into the galil hand guard. Just notch the HG the same thickness as the top part of the barrel mount and but the mount up against the HG. This will prevent any movement and the mount is still solid with just 2 bolts holding it. If she brings the camera home tonight then I will show how mine turned out.

post-659-1199728393.jpg

I will take a pic when my wife brings the camera home from work. With this 2 slot mount instead of lining up the 4 screws on the top section, you just line up 2 of them, and with the portion sticking out past the mount you slide into the galil hand guard. Just notch the HG the same thickness as the top part of the barrel mount and but the mount up against the HG. This will prevent any movement and the mount is still solid with just 2 bolts holding it. If she brings the camera home tonight then I will show how mine turned out.

Looks interesting.

I have a bolt-on coming from DinZag. Should I be at all wary of actually using the slide sling swivel as designed? I can't imagine it is as robust as the press-on.

Good question, I would email Dinzag himself on that one, he's the one making them after all.

• 3 weeks later...