hunting etc

I had the Saiga 12 bug bad awhile back but gave up when I couldn't find one. However last time I went to my local shop there were TWO on the wall. Timing couldn't be better too as I'm in the market for a new hunting/trap shotgun. Question is... can the Saiga 12 perform in the field and trap range? I'm hard on my guns in the field and it would have to be 'bet my life' reliable and go bang each and every time. The AK platform also isn't known for its accuracy (which usually isn't a problem for shotguns) but would need to be on par with standard hunting shotguns for slug accuracy. Hopefully chokes would be available depending on the season. For trap/skeet... I need the ability to swap to a longer barrel. Well.. can the Saiga hang or would I better served with a plain old Rem 1100.

and it would have to be 'bet my life' reliable

Bet your life reliable?

What? .... are ducks shooting back now?

I don't see the thrill in shooting at unarmed and helpless things. Seems kinda cowardly.

Anyway

Back to the question,

S-12 will outperform any shotty in any conditions when it comes to reliablity.

Edited by snoopdogg

been using my 410 saiga for a number of years now for dove and quail along with the occassional javelina trip. I picked up a saiga 12 w/ 24" barrel this year for duck season. Other than the mag change when the birds are flying fast and furious it has been very reliable and knocks down as many as my buddies with their benellis and berettas. I don't do trap/skeet with any of my shotguns so have no comparison there. I do have a choice is shotguns when I go duck hunting and the saiga is my first choice. I will also shoot an o/u or one of my pumps. Except for the saiga the other autos seem to be a little tricky in the freezing temps around water. If I were going to use my sagia 12 for hunting with slugs I would consider a better sight system. I am currently using the polychoke which gives me all the chokes that I could possibly use.

:eek: I thought for sure I'd get laughed off the board for wanting to hunt with a Saiga. Believe it or not you two made my day. Sorry for not doing my own research on chokes/barrels/etc but I wanted a quick opinion if it was viable before I bothered. I am sending my trusty 870 to VangComp this year and I can't see myself converting back and forth for hunting so I decided to treat myself to a new semi. Looks like I'll be picking an S12 this spring. Couple questions though...

-Is there anything I should know about the gun before I purchase? (which barrel length, any options, different configurations) or is an S12 an S12?

-Did the polychoke come with? aftermarket? if after, did barrel need smithing to fit?

-what mag size is standard and what is available?

-what mods do you recommend for a stock Saiga (trigger/etc)?

-anything I should know about the gas system?

Any and all advice is appreciated...Thanks guys

Bet your life reliable?

What? .... are ducks shooting back now?

I don't see the thrill in shooting at unarmed and helpless things. Seems kinda cowardly.

Yo, but dose ducks be good eatin, G! :killer:

You think da KFC yardbirds you eat be packin' gats at da slaughterhouse? :unsure:

Get real, Holmes. :rolleyes:

:eek: I thought for sure I'd get laughed off the board for wanting to hunt with a Saiga. Believe it or not you two made my day. Sorry for not doing my own research on chokes/barrels/etc but I wanted a quick opinion if it was viable before I bothered. I am sending my trusty 870 to VangComp this year and I can't see myself converting back and forth for hunting so I decided to treat myself to a new semi. Looks like I'll be picking an S12 this spring. Couple questions though...

-Is there anything I should know about the gun before I purchase? (which barrel length, any options, different configurations) or is an S12 an S12?

-Did the polychoke come with? aftermarket? if after, did barrel need smithing to fit?

-what mag size is standard and what is available?

-what mods do you recommend for a stock Saiga (trigger/etc)?

-anything I should know about the gas system?

Any and all advice is appreciated...Thanks guys

I also have an 870 (which has not seen the light of day since I found my 410 saiga, now with the 12 it surely will be passed on to the younger crowd)

I went for the 24" barrel over the 19" for obvious hunting reasons I also prefer the monte carlo stock setup for hunting though some of the mods look way cool (maybe need a second 12) I chose the polychoke simply because I did not want to buy a whole set of choke tubes and it added a little length to the gun. FWIW I went with the slotted model.

The magazines I am using are 5 round with plugs. Cobra 76 two (UN on this board) had the plugs for the 5 round magazine which work very well.

I might consider a different sight system but I really like the way the stock one lines up when shouldered

The gas system is very straight forward and with just minor cleaning will give you extremely high level of reliability, there is an adjustment on the front of the chamber which should be set to 1 for magnum shotshells and 2 for the light target loads.

The only real advice I can give on the gun is don't let your hunting buddies bother you until they see the gun in action. Mine now all but refuse to let me take my 410 after birds. they don't like having their high dollar 12ga shotguns shown up by a 410.

Really it is hard for people to understand that a gun so simple can be so reliable. Even remington is learning their lesson about russian built guns. I have a couple of Spartan o/u's one in 12 and one in 410. They might not be the most refined guns but they work everytime.

Now I have to get some sleep as I am off to "harvest" more ducks with my S12 in the morning.

AH leave him alone, he is probably one of those guys that goes out shooting with his buddies and leaves all his spent brass and shotgun shells laying around along with all the "targets" they took out. Generally when I see those types of post I just leave them alone as they are either animal rights people or the kind who are destroying our rights to take our guns out by polluting the enviroment with their trash. Our military vehicle club goes out and cleans up after their types a couple of times a year just so we can still enjoy the outdoor activities such as hunting.

AH leave him alone, he is probably one of those guys that goes out shooting with his buddies and leaves all his spent brass and shotgun shells laying around along with all the "targets" they took out.

NO, and how in the world does one make such a correlation????

Your right though, it takes a 'real man' to shoot at bunny rabbits :smoke:

Spend some time overseas, find out what it's like when your targets shoot back.

You're a clown.

Having spent time overseas I fail to see what's wrong with hunting rabbits. Rabbits reproduce like , well rabbits. There is no shortage of rabbits. Who cares if they are aren't dangerous. Chickens aren't dangerous to humans either. Wild game is a great source of lean protein. I don't hunt myself but have no problems with those that do especially if they are kind enough to share.

I've even had whale before when I was in Japan and that too came from a hunt (it's VERY good fyi). China has some less than humane methods but none involved hunting.

Edited by dvdivx

Hey hey hey! We're all Gun People in here! I swear if all the hunters, fungunners, survivalists and zombie-slayers could just get along with each other for five minutes we could actually stand up against our common enemy: the anti-gunners!

Really now its kinda silly to be arguing about the applications of our fine weapons when we should be working together to ensure that they will remain available to future generations. Theres plenty of people out there who would live in fear if they realized how many of us own semi-auto-assault-shotguns! We should be supporting each other and our common gun-loving interests!

Ok, rant off now. :rolleyes:

Having spent time overseas I fail to see what's wrong with hunting rabbits. Rabbits reproduce like , well rabbits. There is no shortage of rabbits. Who cares if they are aren't dangerous. Chickens aren't dangerous to humans either. Wild game is a great source of lean protein. I don't hunt myself but have no problems with those that do especially if they are kind enough to share.

I've even had whale before when I was in Japan and that too came from a hunt (it's VERY good fyi). China has some less than humane methods but none involved hunting.

Oh but you are sadly mistaken my friend! There is a bunny overseas who is so evil he can take out a whole army of armed soldiers in the wink of an eye! You must be very very cautious if you approach this killer bunny! Even an 8" Tromix S-12 with a wraithmaker 20 rd Drum is no match. (of course we all know why...lol)

Here is some rare video footage, shot on location, that may change the way you think about little white bunnies forever.

Runaway! :lolol:

Hey hey hey! We're all Gun People in here! I swear if all the hunters, fungunners, survivalists and zombie-slayers could just get along with each other for five minutes we could actually stand up against our common enemy: the anti-gunners!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You!! Someone buy this man a beer! :super:

FYI: I fall into all of the above to some extent

I went on a Pheasant hunt a couple of weeks ago with my 19" gun and Polychoke. Set it for modified, was running some 2 3/4" #5's. Ran like a top, shot my three birds no problems. Did get a few "looks" though but most thought it was pretty cool. Hardest thing was mounting the gun and knocking the safety off quickly but I got used to it. Lots of fun.

Congrats on the Pheasant. I went out this morning and got my limit of 7 Green Winged Teal with my Saiga 12. My 12 is stock with the addition of a poly choke and magazines plugged to two rounds.

snoopdog

simply put most gun owners that look down on hunting either don't understand it or are the renegade wannabe mercenary types or perhaps somewhere inbetween. It is rare to find a gun owner who does not want to challenge his abilities to hit targets. I find clay pidgeons to be a bit predictable for my taste. Hunting when done leagally can be very challenging especially fast flying duck, dove, quail, pheasant...etc. and the bonus is when you do it right you get to enjoy a wonderfull meal.

I really don't care what an owner does to his gun as long as it falls within the laws (if you don't like the laws change them). Some of the poeple on this board have built up some very nice looking Saigas. I personally have no use for them as I don't plan on going to war just to get to the grocery store but hey to each his own. I can appreciate all the hard work they have put into their passion as I would hope you could see the work and appreciate all that goes into the sport of hunting. If not oh well one less hunter to deal with in the field.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You!! Someone buy this man a beer! :super:

FYI: I fall into all of the above to some extent

Heh heh, yeah! Someone buy me a beer! :smoke:

I don't hunt myself but I realize it's very necessary for the preservation of species. I guess if push came to shove I'd have to call myself a fungunner. I just love really big guns that hold lotsa bullets! I even love all those "valley bitch" guns that are not the slightest bit practical but a real thrill to behold. Its all in good, clean fun. Thats my opinion. :up:

Oh but you are sadly mistaken my friend! There is a bunny overseas who is so evil he can take out a whole army of armed soldiers in the wink of an eye! You must be very very cautious if you approach this killer bunny! Even an 8" Tromix S-12 with a wraithmaker 20 rd Drum is no match. (of course we all know why...lol)

Here is some rare video footage, shot on location, that may change the way you think about little white bunnies forever.

That is the Energizer bunny on steroids LOL Nothing can beat that little bastard!

:eek: I thought for sure I'd get laughed off the board for wanting to hunt with a Saiga.

the saiga is AWESOME for a camp gun or an "inclement weather" hunting shotgun OR rifle. It is really hard to beat, from what I have experienced.

you wont be laughed at for hunting here.....thats for sure....

This year is the first year that I have hunted with my s-12, You shoulda seen the looks I got when eveyone at hunt camp saw that thing. People ask me, " You actually hunt with that thing?" Well hell yes I do, sure it may look "funny" to the old timers but I why wouldn't I hunt with a weapon that I am very proficient with? I guess they see that thing with a clip hanging out of it and they expect you to be dumpin mags at waist hight, but with a red dot, I can hang with they're scoped slugsters. I took my s-12 on a hog hunt last weekend. it served dual purpose roles, the morning was spent in my stand, 5 rounder with slugs and the red dot on a side mount. Then in the afternoon the red dot comes off I switch the mag to 00 buck and go beatin the bush, hands and knees through game trails. I had so much mud and leaves and twigs all jammed in my gun but when it came time to talk, she barked off a few and sent a boar hog to the sausage gods. I will always hunt with my s-12 for it's reliability, if nothing else then that alone. happy hunting

The only thing that sucked about goin through thick brush is the pg and the mag. They tend to be vine catchers. I was thinking of instead of a bayonet, i need some kind of barrel mounted pruning shear.----jk

Edited by likestoshootstuff

Thanks guys. I have really enjoying coming home from work to stories of Saiga hunting. I spent today day-dreaming of a boar hunt of my own! I am absolutely buying that S12 at the range so I can have some fun of my own. At first, I didn't think I'd get much support here and was out pricing standard semis.... but the strong love here for Saiga has brought me back around. Everyone builds their kit differently and for a different purpose. Although I hunt.. all my guns are designed for HD/SHTF. I doubt I'd catch any crap here for stating that the Saiga line is far superior to standard shotguns for home defense. As such, I truly didn't know if it could multitask. Thanks again for the info... I'm sure I'll have many more questions forthcoming. (e.g. knoxx stocks, vangcomp, wraithmaker which is local to me,chokes,red dots, etc)

Has anyone seen... or even HEARD OF "Night of the Leapus" (spelling?)?

It was some old b-movie with nuclear affected rabbits taking over australia... or something

stock 12 vs converted with P/G. What are the pros and cons of a wingshooting Saiga. I would like to hear from those that have tried both. Is a correctly converted Saiga more reliable? How is the swing and follow through on a converted saiga with P/G compared to a factory Saiga 12?

Edited by learstroker

showed a couple of my hunting buddies that the Saiga is something to be dealt with. I ended up with more ducks,by one, then the next closest to me. I also had the longest shot on a GWT, that folded right up, even surprised me. The polychoke really makes it nice. I am not sure my o/u or pump will be going out again very soon.

The 3" magnum steel rounds worked great. A little difficult to track down the empty cases but that is the price you pay for positive extraction.

Has anyone seen... or even HEARD OF "Night of the Leapus" (spelling?)?

It was some old b-movie with nuclear affected rabbits taking over australia... or something

Yeah man! Its a B-movie classic! Check it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/

Its also got a brief cameo in The Matrix. (Its what the kids are watching at the oracle's.)

Sorry to get off topic.