Want to add light to Saiga-12, best option?

I want to add a light to the Saiga 12 and was hoping to get some feedback/recommendations here.

Is one mounted under the front handguard (via rail) have any advantages to just getting a standard low profile side AK mount and placing it directlyover the receiver? These are basically my options. Pros and cons of each?

Also, what is a good light that can take the recoil that will not break the bank?

Thanks all.

I want to add a light to the Saiga 12 and was hoping to get some feedback/recommendations here.

Is one mounted under the front handguard (via rail) have any advantages to just getting a standard low profile side AK mount and placing it directlyover the receiver? These are basically my options. Pros and cons of each?

Also, what is a good light that can take the recoil that will not break the bank?

Thanks all.

I would much rather have mine under the HG so I can still see my sights.

Id suggest a Surefire G2 Nitrolon as they are well made and run about $35+$15 for the tape switch. (Yes, you want the tape switch)

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_dis...r/878/sesent/00

Or you could also get a pistol light with a rocker-switch backplate from Insight or Streamlight and mount it just forward to your vertical grip. I think that would be more compact but possibly not as bright. Maybe more $$$ too.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=80

As always you can try to find a generic model to save money but expect quality to suffer proportionately.

+1 on under the HG, I tried an offset mount on my WM (USAS) and took it out one night to take out some insurgent pumpkins, thinking I was cool, and you cant see past the front sight, the light beaming right on it really sucked, but it sure looks cool in the 2 o'clock position off the flattop.

Also +1 on the Surefire G2, for 35-40 bucks they are about as good as it gets. I have 2 and both have stood up well thus far.

....Also, what is a good light that can take the recoil that will not break the bank?....

Most LED lights will stand up to recoil much better then filament lights. The Surefire light made for a weapons mount have a shock mounted bezel. The filament lights of course have much better range but are prone to breaking under recoil without a shock mount.

As a field expedient solution, that actually works pretty well long term, I have mounted the lights in a 30mm scope ring, then used a piece of heavy rubber as a collet to adapt the 1" light to the larger ring.

+1 on under the HG, I tried an offset mount on my WM (USAS) and took it out one night to take out some insurgent pumpkins, thinking I was cool, and you cant see past the front sight, the light beaming right on it really sucked, but it sure looks cool in the 2 o'clock position off the flattop.

Also +1 on the Surefire G2, for 35-40 bucks they are about as good as it gets. I have 2 and both have stood up well thus far.

Do they have any clamps that work with the Surefire G2 so that I could clamp it to my barrel instead of having to add a rail?

Well, seeing how I work for Streamlight, I am going to have to say buy a SUREFIRE. Haha...SureFire makes some terrific lights...that is for sure.

Since I do work for SL, I'd say take a look at the TL2/3 LED if you prefer. We will be offering the "SuperTac" at SHOT. It's ugly as sin, but will be damn bright. I will retro fit my TL3 LED to get more lumens.

Our TLR series are tested to withstand 12ga recoil, so that may be an option for you.

Both TLRs and TL series offer remote switches if you desire that feature.

As far as where to mount the light. I will be mounting my lights/lasers on the side, once I get Tony to SBS my S12.

If I wasn't so anal retentive with using all Russian goods. I'd have left it on. It was damn nice!

I know exactly how ya feel, I currently have no lights on any of my Saiga-AK clones for that reason, my Znich shit the bed pretty quick, and I'm like a Nazi about not allowing intermingling of my equipment nationalities. Its kind of ridiculous. Once I caught my 590 giving my Valtro the eye in my gun cabinet, I've never forgiven him.

Do they have any clamps that work with the Surefire G2 so that I could clamp it to my barrel instead of having to add a rail?

tac star makes some clamping sets that should do the trick

http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

Scroll down to almost the bottom to "Universal Barrel Mounts"

I think you'll want the 3/4 to 1" barrel and 1" light model.

Edited by chris410

I'd go for a LED light. They can take more of a beating than a regular filament bulb. I tried 2 LED PentagonLights and they're solid.

Only buy a Streamlight if Aubie can get you their military line that they don't sell to us civilians. :haha:

tac star makes some clamping sets that should do the trick

http://www.lymanproducts.com/tacstar/index.htm

Scroll down to almost the bottom to "Universal Barrel Mounts"

I think you'll want the 3/4 to 1" barrel and 1" light model.

Kickass. I just ordered a set of clamps and a surefire g2. I love this forum. :smoke:

Id suggest a Surefire G2 Nitrolon as they are well made and run about $35+$15 for the tape switch. (Yes, you want the tape switch)

Stupid question, how does the tape switch mount, via velcro?

Yes. it comes with a velcro strip. Just peel and stick.

Personally, I had to sand down the side of my vertical grip so that the switch would lay flat. Just depends on what kind of switch/grip you have. Some grips have a built in recessed channel to accept a tape switch.

Personally, I had to sand down the side of my vertical grip so that the switch would lay flat. Just depends on what kind of switch/grip you have. Some grips have a built in recessed channel to accept a tape switch.

Did you get the tacstar switch? If so, any problems with heat or not working. I assume it is momentary on as long as i depressed? I would prefer one that you pressed once, light on, press again, light off. Thanks for the help.

Did you get the tacstar switch? If so, any problems with heat or not working. I assume it is momentary on as long as i depressed? I would prefer one that you pressed once, light on, press again, light off. Thanks for the help.

The Tacstar should work fine. Yes, it is momentary in that it is only on while depressed. Only problem I've ever had is sometimes the switch itself will get a hotspot if only partially depressed. I've had this happen on more than one model. Anyone else experience this issue?

Hmm, The G2 does have a twist-on feature, but I'm not familiar with any tape switch that functions as a toggle. If it exists I've never seen it. All the ones I've seen act as momentary switches, which seems preferable to me. Ideally you should only illuminate long enough to identify and engage the target. Any longer will make you a target.

Edited by DistalRadius

TacStar T6 is the third light on my Saiga-12. The first two (not TacStar) lasted less than 100 rounds per light. Won't mention brands as this gun gets abused and it could have been several factors. What I do know is this TacStar has seen 750+ rounds with no problems. Beam is far brighter than my LED's. Their mount is simple and very sturdy. It would slip a bit after a few trips to the range, so I put a layer of black hockey tape under the mount and haven't had any movement since. Light, mount and tape switch was about $75 shipped. You get what you pay for.

So far, no problems with the tape switch with over-heating. I don't have 100% faith in this style switch, so I carry spare tape and original butt on-off switches in buttstock bag.

100_0602.jpg

TacStar T6 is the third light on my Saiga-12. The first two (not TacStar) lasted less than 100 rounds per light. Won't mention brands as this gun gets abused and it could have been several factors. What I do know is this TacStar has seen 750+ rounds with no problems. Beam is far brighter than my LED's. Their mount is simple and very sturdy. It would slip a bit after a few trips to the range, so I put a layer of black hockey tape under the mount and haven't had any movement since. Light, mount and tape switch was about $75 shipped. You get what you pay for.

So far, no problems with the tape switch with over-heating. I don't have 100% faith in this style switch, so I carry spare tape and original butt on-off switches in buttstock bag.

nice looking saiga - where did you end up mounting your pressure switch, can't see in photo but assume on the side of front handguard..

Edited by efarmer21

100_0605.jpg

All that I need to do is slide my thumb up to switch. Very comfortable.

The stock bag is made by Eagle Industries. I order all of their products directly at:

Eagle Industries Products

The bags come in O.D., black and khaki. About $35 but worth it. Carries spares/batteries for lights/optics and an extra 5 rounds if all you can grab is the weapon.

Edited by EdgarM

100_0602.jpg

Nice set up. I've been looking for something just like that for my Saiga since I don't plan on doing a conversion.

What type of sling is that? One thing I've noticed about all Saiga rifles is that the sling swivels are really small for most tactical slings.

This mount will do it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49570-63506-2202.html

Or this one:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR098-41704-2204.html

I've got the latter on my AR and it works great except the mount has a small amount of play in it after a few hundred rounds. Shouldn't matter in a flashlight though.

100_0602.jpg

Nice set up. I've been looking for something just like that for my Saiga since I don't plan on doing a conversion.

What type of sling is that? One thing I've noticed about all Saiga rifles is that the sling swivels are really small for most tactical slings.

The sling on my S-12 is also from Eagle Industries (link in previous reply). Go to their site and click on slings on the left menu. They have two assault shotgun slings, one for 'fixed stocks' and one for 'pistol grip stocks'. I actually chose the pistol grip version for my fixed stock because the rear mount on the fixed stock version conflicted with the stock bag.

This mount will do it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/49570-63506-2202.html

Or this one:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR098-41704-2204.html

I've got the latter on my AR and it works great except the mount has a small amount of play in it after a few hundred rounds. Shouldn't matter in a flashlight though.

Thanks man, I wasn't sure about any of them. That Command Arms one I think has a G2 sitting in it in that picture though! I was pretty much clueless, thanks.

Here it is without the AR-15 rail, for under $20. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11489-20154-2204.html

Edited by Twinsen
  • 1 month later...