Scope Suggestions

i like the psop 8x. i love the red light up. the chevrons are easy to see. it's huge next to the short 16 inch barrel. it just looks plain mean.... =)

you don't have to worry about the mounting, etc.

i have it on my unconverted 308. it kinda looks funny on a converted one though.

my only complaint is the funny light gray color - but i hear you can get them in all black.

for $150 - you can't beat it.

Hello, dubious152

Depends what you mean by "best".

I currently have an IOR Valdada 6x30 M2 Super w/ illuminated .308 reticle on mine. It works great!

I'm gonna try a 2.5-10 x 42 IOR and see if that works even better. They are Eastern Bloc (Romania) so they "fit".

The IOR side-mount bracket is perfectly centered,and as low as practical. Solid as a rock!

Not the cheapest, but excellent value.

guido2 in Houston

Edited by guido2
also... it's a funny feeling when you pull the trigger and that rubber thingie so pressed on your eye squishes unto your face (especially with the 308 recoil on such a short rifle). how do you guys manage? aside from just taking that rubber thing off =)

i took it off,just couldn't get used to it post-7934-1203485482.jpg

Guido2,

Where did you buy your IOR Valdada scope?

Hello, dubious152

I currently have an IOR Valdada 6x30 M2 Super w/ illuminated .308 reticle on mine. It works great!

I'm gonna try a 2.5-10 x 42 IOR and see if that works even better. They are Eastern Bloc (Romania) so they "fit".

The IOR side-mount bracket is perfectly centered,and as low as practical. Solid as a rock!

guido2 in Houston

My rule of thumb is:

1. Declare a distnace that your rifle is suitable to shoot at... (anything around or less than 18" in a militay caliber is around 350M - 400M MAXIMUM EFFECTIVE RANGE - ANYTHING FROM 18" and UP IS OUT TO 600 METER MAX... (autoloader)). There are very few shooters OR semi-auto rifles that are up-to-the-task at 1000m/1100yds on a "man-sized target".

2. If you choose an optic, figure on 1x per 100m of maximum range. (IE: 4X for a 400m rifle, 6x for 600m, 10x for 1000m, etc...) Over-magnification is a problem - leave it to the bench-rest shooters, varminters and psuedo-wannabes...

3. Be picky about the reticle you choose (especially ranging reticles) and know how to read it... (Seriously) and know how to convert yards to meters and vis versa and apply such in your corrections.

A 16" Saiga should work VERY WELL with 4x inside 400m/440yds.

6x, although it will work just fine within 400m, will be overkill and lead to potential problems at longer ranges and give the shooter a false sense of confidence and performance at ranges greater than 400m/440yds...

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

Try Cactus Tactical Supply. They have great prices and service.

guido2

Guido2,

Where did you buy your IOR Valdada scope?

Hello, dubious152

guido2 in Houston

I wanted a scope that was reasonably well made, and had features that are well suited to the rifle and didn't cost more than I could justify for the Saiga.

I opted with a Bushnell 2-7 variable Fullfield II. It's around $300+ in a gunshop, under $300 online. The 2-7 is a good variable range, it has decent glass, it's pretty tough, it has target knobs under the large threaded covers and it looks good on the rifle.

You can usually find the M2 or M2 Super with either 5.56 or 7.62 reticles for around $250 for M2, $300 for Super (6x) on eBay. These should come with rings, as well, since that's how they are sold new. It's a terrific scope at that price.

guido2 in Houston

I checked out the prices on the IOR Valdabas and found them to be a little bit beyond my price range. Guess I will be trying the POSP's

The_Vigilante

El Paso, Texas