Need Help Getting Wood Furniture for Saiga x39

Recently bought some of the Ironwood furniture--very nice--laminated birch. It comes unfinished so you can make the appearance to your liking. Wound up looking like this:

IMG_8809.jpg

(Edited to add pic.)

Edited by tritium
Recently bought some of the Ironwood furniture--very nice--laminated birch. It comes unfinished so you can make the appearance to your liking.

yes, battlerifleg3 is the one.

but he isn't answering my emails. looks like he's on vacation. drats.

patience my good man!

his work and service are worth the wait.....he made some great furniture for my 223....

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was looking at Ironwood a while ago and I am going to use their stocks cause I love the wood and I want to have some fun with RIT Dye.

Now, on this page:

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

They list the different types of receivers. Which one is the Saiga? The MAK Stamped Straight Cut or the Egyptian/Maadi/Romanian/Hungarian stamped straight cut.

Any suggestions for making a "camo" pattern with the RIT Dye? I want to do something similar to the way that Boyds does his 10/22 stocks. I am thinking that patience, a steady hand and dyeing grain-by-grain and color-by-color is the best way to achieve those results.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Laminate%20Colors.html

I sent a check out to Ironwood about a week or so ago and waiting for a set of upper/lower walnut handguards. No opinion yet, but he seems like a good guy to work with through email/phone etc.. I am also waiting on a replacement AK gas tube and bolt on retainer from Dinzag, wonder which one will get here first?

I sent a check out to Ironwood about a week or so ago and waiting for a set of upper/lower walnut handguards. No opinion yet, but he seems like a good guy to work with through email/phone etc.. I am also waiting on a replacement AK gas tube and bolt on retainer from Dinzag, wonder which one will get here first?

Hmmm... if BattleRifleG3 doesnt come back soon I may end up just going with Ironwood. Let me know how you like the wood set.

Which Buttstock did you purcahse to fit the saiga receiver?

Hmmm... if BattleRifleG3 doesnt come back soon I may end up just going with Ironwood. Let me know how you like the wood set.

Which Buttstock did you purcahse to fit the saiga receiver?

I bought the skeleton stock that comes from the factory as I will more than likely not be doing the conversion. I am going to leave the receiver alone and add the wood handguards up front. I dont think it will be compliant, but I really dont give a crap either.

Here is the stock I put on it, it looks kind of funny but I like the feel that it gives to the gun over that factory piece of crap monte stock. If the Tapco stock would have been available when I was looking around I would have been all over it.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...products_id=119

• 3 weeks later...
So, I was looking at Ironwood a while ago and I am going to use their stocks cause I love the wood and I want to have some fun with RIT Dye.

Any suggestions for making a "camo" pattern with the RIT Dye? I want to do something similar to the way that Boyds does his 10/22 stocks. I am thinking that patience, a steady hand and dyeing grain-by-grain and color-by-color is the best way to achieve those results.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Laminate%20Colors.html

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the stocks in the link provided aren't dye'd/stained after construction, but rather before lamination. If you look at those stocks, they are laminated. So you figgure out the thickness you want, the number of colors/contour, then plane your lamination material to create enough layers to get the color spread you want. Next you dye each sheet of laminate, let it dry/cure/whatever, then glue up the lamination. Once the complete lamination has cured, you pull it out of its clamps, trace out the overall design of your stock and cut it with a bandsaw or jigsaw. From there "different strokes for different folks" applies with regard to the tools that will be used to contour the raw shape into the finished product.

You could do what your talking about with rit dye and black sharpie, but it wouldn't have the depth that the laminated stocks you linked to have. If you want to try the dye'd camo technique, find out the wood type for the furniture you're going to buy, then get some scrap in that species. Sand it to the same finish as your raw furiture (dye/stain is sensitive to surface porosity) and give it a whirl. If you find a technique with results you like, prep the furniture and repeat the process.

Good luck with it, and feel free to post up pictures of your camo job when you're done.

Chris