my friend and i each bought a saiga and molder mags the other day. fitted the mag catch and chambered some rounds! WORKS WITH OUT THE BULLET GUIDE...i don't plan on using any other mags...mabey some saiga factory mags but thats it. just thought id let you guys know...will be posting pics of the builds soon...

Did you try any 47 round mags?

I have two 47 round Molder mags. One fails on the last round. The other works fine.

wonder if you can epoxy in a snap cap as a last round.. could also work as a bolt hold open...possibly..

I tried a 30 round Master Molder before I added a feed ramp and it worked. Now I can use both AK and Saiga mags. I also used a Yugo magazine which holds the bolt open on the last round but doesn't lock the BHO in the open position.

Maybe Tapco or someone else can make a US made Yugo follower.

Molder Mags work for me, without a bullet guide. The front of the magazine is actually higher that the Saiga 10 round magazine. (Where the bullet slides over the front of the magazine.)

You have to modify the mags to "click" into your mag release. Some suggest modifying the mag release lever, I am not in favor of modifying the lever.

I also lowered the front of my 47 round mags to match the height of my Saiga 10 rounder. I was having last round FTF. After lowering, problem has not returned.

Shellshock

the moulder mags work WITHOUT the bullet guide. you have to file down the tang on the back of the mag to make it fit, but its plastic...i fitted mine in like 2 min...no big deal man. then you can at least shoot some hi caps!

Shellshock

the moulder mags work WITHOUT the bullet guide. you have to file down the tang on the back of the mag to make it fit, but its plastic...i fitted mine in like 2 min...no big deal man. then you can at least shoot some hi caps!

I plan to get 2 of these for the time being to wait for my BG. Ill file the mag catch so I can use ALL AK mags eventually.

Just ordered a couple for $11 a piece, figure that is two for the price of one surefire!! So, now that these are on the way, what should I use to file down the backend so it will fit? A file, an exacto, what is the best/safest way to take off a little at a time?

I bought two. They arrived yesterday in the mail. It took me less than five minutes with a file to mod. both mags. T work great now.

Just ordered a couple for $11 a piece, figure that is two for the price of one surefire!! So, now that these are on the way, what should I use to file down the backend so it will fit? A file, an exacto, what is the best/safest way to take off a little at a time?

I used a Dremel, but an exacto knife would work just as well. Hell, you could probably use your wife's nail file. All I did was to lay the factory 10 rounder on top of the Master molder and compare the mag catches...file off just a wee bit at a time until they look identical and the new mag latches securely into your gun.

i used a dremel also to get it close then filed it for about 3 seconds till it popped in nice and tight. soberups is right, you could just as well use a frickin nail file there is so little you need to do...just don't overdo it! piece of cake man...i would use a file if anything though...

kevin...i dont see a link...

Edited by sicktooth
i used a dremel also to get it close then filed it for about 3 seconds till it popped in nice and tight. soberups is right, you could just as well use a frickin nail file there is so little you need to do...just don't overdo it! piece of cake man...i would use a file if anything though...

kevin...i dont see a link...

A fingernail file it will be than!!

They arrived by mail today, and like stated, it took about 5 mins. on the first one, and about 30 seconds on the second one. They fit snuggly, have yet to get to put some rounds through the gun with them, but I can only assume they will work as stated without the bullet guide!!

I must say, on observation, they appear to have A LOT cheaper build to them than the Surefire mags do, but for cheap "stock up" mags they are A LOT better on the pocket at a two to one ratio!! Thanks for the recommendations and thread!!

Edited by medicff0879
Id say just file the mag catch. One time job. Go slow. File a bit, then test fit. File, fit. File, fit. Etc.

What he said, I found this a great project to use the new multi-tool my g/f bought me for Valentines Day. Took about 5 mins. on the first one, and about 30 seconds on the second one, piece of cake. Not that I have any doubts, but I am going to test fire them this weekend and make sure they feed ok (which they should, they load into the chamber by hand with no problem) and then order about 4 more when we get back from the country!!

If you give it thought, the wise route to go is to adjust/file the catch to work with the most common/abudant standard AK steel mags, then fit the less common(Master Molder)mags to the rifle. This will allow the factory Saiga mags to function aswell.

Only if you install a bullet guide. Without a bullet guide, standard AK mags wont feed. Master Molder mags work because they have material on the front of the lips that acts as a bullet guide, they are almost identical to the factory 10-round mag. For me, since my Saiga is the only AK that I own, I just modify the mags to fit the gun.