I'm almost done with my 7.62x39 conversion. I used bolt/nut to hold the trigger guard in place and would like to prevent them from opening back up. Question for all you metal working guru's. Is it feasible to weld the bolt to the nut to prevent it from ever backing out? I'm thinking that just a little blast from the MIG welder should do the trick, but this isn't my area of expertise. (I've never hammered rivets in place and am not setup to do so and would rather not pound the sh!t out of my receiver with a missed blow.)

Harbor Freight Welder

This is a really cheap entry level welder. I've never played with one before and thought it would be fun and could keep the bolts from backing out also.

Whew -- when I saw the title of this thread I was trying to figure out how the gun would operate with the bolt welded closed!! :huh:

Loctite and lock washers -- all you should ever need to keep nuts in place.

Jim

It's a new California gun law, you have to load a round, and weld the action shut. That way you only get to fire one round every half hour.

LOL - I didn't think about "The Bolt" being welded shut.

I've got the Blue Loctite on them now (hardware store didn't have red). I've seen threads where people have had screws back out loose and I really just don't want to have to worry about the trigger guard screws ever coming lose and bouncing around in the action while firing.

It also looked cool to have a little welder. Come on guys - need some help in my justification for another expense. ;)

I would peen the end of the bolt, or use locktite or use epoxy. You will need to practice a lot with a welder before you go near your rifle. It also takes a lot of grinding to clean up the welds, then a repainting. (Trust me, I just finished my conversion a few minutes ago and did all of the above)!

Whew -- when I saw the title of this thread I was trying to figure out how the gun would operate with the bolt welded closed!! :huh:

Loctite and lock washers -- all you should ever need to keep nuts in place.

Jim

It's a new California gun law, you have to load a round, and weld the action shut. That way you only get to fire one round every half hour.

:D lol dont even say that!!! lol scare the crap out of us PRK guys! :(:unsure:<_<:blush:

<hippie voice> Naw man, you gotta let 'em run free like mother earth made 'em. </hippie voice>

Seriously though, commando is where it's at. Makes aaaaalllll the difference in the world when you're sweating your ass off in the summer. I climb trees, and those saddles get real hot and sticky after a few hours in a tree. Your undies start sliding around and pinching things that shouldn't get pinched. Yeah, commando all the way.

:unsure: Wait, what was this topic about anyway? Oh, sorry man, didn't mean to derail the thread. Like they said, Loctite should be good.

Ballsy,

Acer

• 3 months later...