I'm new to saiga's just got mine a little over a week ago. It's a .308 with a 16" barrel and skeleton stock. I'm still trying to decide what scope to put on it. I'm not to fond of the POSP look scopes. Anyone have ideas or pictures. I like a tactical look but here in the great firearm friendly state of NJ :lolol: I don't want it to look too tactical. I saw 2 made by Leapers a 3-12x44 & a rubber armored 3x9. All the reviews that i've seen for Leapers are good but, I never had any experience with them. Pictures if you got them. Thanks.

Edited by ravenwolf

Hello, ravenwolf

I started out with a POSP-style scope from IOR (an M2 Super 6x) on my 16" barrelled S-308. I recently changed it for a 2.5-10x 42mm illuminated tactical scope from IOR with a MP8 first focal plane reticle. I liike that a lot, it seems to fit the guns' range, and my old eyes lack thereof.....I got it off eBay, they're kinda pricey new, but most folks feel they're worth it.

-It's listed in the ".308 Post yer Pictures" thread.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

If you get an optics mount with a top rail, you can mount most any kind of optical sight you want on the gun. I use a UTG/Leapers quick-detach, dual-rail mount on my .308. There are many other options too. Here is a (rather dark) picture of my .308 with the aforementioned mount.

Sorry, since the POSP-type scopes I've seen have integral mounts, I thought you might be interested in mounts as well. The one pictured is just the Leapers Gen. 5 side mount. It's just the QD version of what you have.

Once you have that rail in place, there are so many good optics options that I wouldn't presume to tell you which to use. Any good quality optic that meets your usage requirements should be good.

I've run two separate IOR's (10x and 6x fixed) on my guns that have worked well, but their glass is so good they always seem to find their way back to my more accurate bolt guns. The POSP 6x is probably a decent compromise and the POSP glass is actually very good for the price.

If you're wanting to go more on the tactical side of things either a bushnell 3200 10x tactical (around $200) or super sniper 10x (around $300) are good scopes that will cost a bit less than your gun cost you originally. Like I said though, for value the POSP's win hands down since you don't need to buy a separate mount. If you want to spend in the $500 range the bushnell 4200 tactical is a good value. Above that you get to something like an IOR 10x42 for around $800, then on up through Leupold, Zeiss, and Nikon offerings (all good, but all very different from each other).

Have run a scout scope setup on an SKS which would be very comparable on an AK. A nice bushnell pistol scope on that would run less than $200 and still have 6x capabilites. It does put more weight out front though, so it would depend on how you like your guns balanced. I like the weight forward feel, so it works well on the sks for me.

Also suggest that you stick with a fixed power scope, as there are fewer moving parts and generally you get better adjustments (target/tactical knobs etc) for less money. Most of the budget tactical scopes are fixed so they can focus the quality on the glass rather than adjustments. Once you get used to ranging with a fixed scope it never changes due to different magnification as most rear focal plane scopes do (be sure to check that before you buy or you'll wind up with essentially a fixed power scope anyway since you can't possibly have range cards for all magnifications). Cheaper scopes tend to be rear focal plane ones, so be careful if you want a ranging scope with variable magnification.

30mm scopes generally let in more light than 1in ones of the same general quality. Any scope over 40mm bell size will probably feel very high as compared to the standard sights.

I have found that Barska makes a decent scope for the money I have a 3-12x50 on my AR and a 3-9x50 on my Mosin Nagant. I also have a Tasco 3-9x40 on my 22, A fixed 4x32 on my 308 savage, and another 6-20x50 barska with no home. The only one I have ever had a problem with is the 4x32 and I think thats just because its seen alot of years, so many in fact I don't even know who makes it.

I had a tasco 22 scope that sucked and I had a Barska "acog" looking thing that broke on the second shot, I would definatly stay away from those.

-E

I've had good luck with Simmons scopes, and have bought a couple barska.....had no complaints with either.....well....except one barska had such small cross hairs i could not focus on them (shitty eyes) sold it off after mounting it once.....Cobra bought it if i remember correctly....ask him how he likes it!

BARSKA!

I have them on rifles from Ruger 10/22 up to .50 BMG... Got one on each of my AR-15's, one on my Ruger 10/22, one on my K-31 Swiss, one on my Mossberg 500 cantilever slug barrel, one on my Savage 12 F-T/R, and one on the Vulcan .50 BMG... I havent had any problems with any of them as far as malfunction. I think they make very good, bright optics for the price.

My second choice would be BSA... I have one on my Savage .204 ruger, and the Savage .17 HMR. Both are excellent optics as well.

:smoke:

I've had good luck with Simmons scopes, and have bought a couple barska.....had no complaints with either.....well....except one barska had such small cross hairs i could not focus on them (shitty eyes) sold it off after mounting it once.....Cobra bought it if i remember correctly....ask him how he likes it!

I think I have that same scope mine was th 6-20x50 the crosshairs are so fine you cant even see them. It currently sits on a shelf with no home.

-E

BARSKA!

I have them on rifles from Ruger 10/22 up to .50 BMG... Got one on each of my AR-15's, one on my Ruger 10/22, one on my K-31 Swiss, one on my Mossberg 500 cantilever slug barrel, one on my Savage 12 F-T/R, and one on the Vulcan .50 BMG... I havent had any problems with any of them as far as malfunction. I think they make very good, bright optics for the price.

My second choice would be BSA... I have one on my Savage .204 ruger, and the Savage .17 HMR. Both are excellent optics as well.

:smoke:

I havent had any luck with the bp-o2 side rail to weaver mount beacouse of the rail on the gun flexes. I am going with the beryl style mount when i can afford it. they say it is rock solid and a 5x33 atn scope.