Well I have something to add that, at least IMO, means a lot. First though my riding experience...I've ridden a lot of different two wheelers from my first 3.5 HP "Mini Bike" in 1971 to the next step up, the Yamaha 50, then the Suzuki RM 80, upgraded to the RM 125, found all the power I wanted and then some on a race built Kawasaki KX 250 (damn that thing was a screaming beast!) My earliest street bike was an early 70's Yamaha 250 Enduro (the tank!). I was way too small for that bike and could hardly get one toe on the ground at a stop, forget about two. It was heavy as hell and if I was stopped and it started going over, it was best to just let it go and try not to get stuck under it...lol. Got rid of that one...

Since then I've ridden street bikes from my '85 Honda Rebel 250 (which I still ride) to 1000cc Gold Wings and Harley Sportsters and Fat Boys (a whole different world!), and even one cafe racer or "crotch rocket" that I thought was the single stupidest machine ever designed by man. :rolleyes:

Ok ... on to my point...For a first bike on the street it's very important to feel safe and in as much control of the bike as you can be at all times. I'm not very tall at 5' 6" and at 185 lbs I don't want to have to leg press a huge bike if it starts going down on gravel like my Rebel almost did once. To me, a touring type bike like the Rebel, or even a Sportster, that you can sit straight up on and put your feet (both of them) flat on the ground is a MUCH better bike to learn on and I decided to keep with that design. Yeah I'm one of those "wanabe Harley" riders but I've been perfectly happy with my ol 250 Reb for over 21 years now. For a big guy, a bigger bike would be preferable, but a 250 can be a very enjoyable cruiser for someone under 200 lbs. I once drove it 200 miles through the NC mountains with my girl on the back and it had plenty of power to make it up all the switchbacks and hills, and we did that on one tank of gas. I think back then that cost me about $3.50.

Anyway a smaller bike is much more controllable and that is what you want when you are first starting out, especially if you didn't spend at least a decade riding motocross like I did. You get on that bike on the road with all those other big vehicles all around and you had better make damn sure it's you driving the bike, and not the other way around! Plus like was said above, it's easier to pick up when you drop it...and you WILL DROP IT! It also won't get as much damage if it's smaller and lighter and doesn't have a ton of accessories on it. And please get something you can sit straight up on and see wtf's going on, not some screamer you have to lay on top of to ride.

Oh one more tip I learned from my dad right after he got his Gold Wing fully restored and painted...NEVER park it on a fresh blacktop with the kickstand down, in the hot sun! :cryss::lolol: DAMN he was pissed! Try picking up a bike that big with a 10" piece of steel lodged down in the asphalt...lol.

Here's my "Hardley"...and my other Rebel posing with it right after I got it in '87 wrecked, and fixed it up. Put new pipes on it and later did all the bodywork and painted it "Jalapeno Red".

OH! that brings up another thing! Get something bright colored to be as visible as you can. Always assume they can not see you and never go blindly through an intersection and take for granted that you have the right of way! Watch their EYES. If you can't see their eyes, go ahead an assume they can not see you! You will be amazed at the dumb things people will do and the total lack of respect you will get from people on four wheels.

post-1293-1207887144_thumb.jpg

and my other Rebel posing with it right after I got it in '87 wrecked, and fixed it up. Put new pipes on it and later did all the bodywork and painted it "Jalapeno Red".

Hello, Cobra

I think you just like the "Rebel" name!

guido2 in Houston

and my other Rebel posing with it right after I got it in '87 wrecked, and fixed it up. Put new pipes on it and later did all the bodywork and painted it "Jalapeno Red".

Hello, Cobra

I think you just like the "Rebel" name!

guido2 in Houston

Well there's definitely some truth to that!

One thing I forgot to mention...I've been content with the 250 but would much rather have the 450 version. I don't know if the Jardine staggered duals actually help performance as much as they make it look and sound better, but it sure has surprising power for a little 250 Twin. It's all I really need for my riding interests. I always thought the 450 would just be icing on the cake and be better for longer trips. See that's one difference in me and my interest and a lot of other guys. I'm not really into ultra long journeys on my bike. If I wamt to take it to the beach or the mountains to ride, I trailer it there behind my nice comfy and safe truck, then take it out on pleasant joyrides once I get to where I'm going. When I ride at home I rarely go on anything but country roads where the speed limit is never over 55. I also rarely ride it farther than an hour or so away from home so big power and cadillac comfort is not really something I need. It's all about what your needs are. I just enjoy cruising slow and easy in the sunshine on nice days. If I wanted a bike to ride to the coast I would get a bigger bike with a more comfy seat and twice the number of cylinders.

Cobra: Thanks for the added info. I :lolol: when I read the part about the kick-stand getting lodged in the fresh asphalt.

Juggs: As comfortable as I am with my manhood, I don't think I ride a scooter :lol: . My sister's co-worker rides a Vespa, and even being a small/good looking girl, she looks odd on it, as I think everyone does :D .

Maybe I will just pick up a cheap used dirtbike 'til I get the funds for a street bike. I do miss bogging through the woods/mud like I did when I had my quad. Plus, I kinda feel that I should master a dirtbike at some point, seeing as how I was handed my ass by one :rolleyes: .

Definitely a good idea on the dirt bike. You will learn a lot of things that can save your ass when you need it most. Don't forget about the front brake, it's your main stopping power. The only time I ever dumped mine in traffic was once when I tried to stop suddenly behind a stupid woman who slammed on her brakes in front of me. I was used to riding BMX back then and an experienced member of the "over the bars club", so I was shy with that front brake. Motorcycles are totally different than bicycles! Learned that one the hard way with a thirty foot powerslide through an intersection :rolleyes:

You slam on the back brake and it's going sideways.

the_mods_paris.jpg

Thats a mean lookin bunch of dudes right there :rolleyes:

Start with a H.D Sportster or Honda Shadow(Or simular)..something to learn the basics and be able to recoop some $ back when you deside what fits you...who knows,you may tire of it or feel its not for you,that way your not in for much.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=motorcycle

Edited by Pointer

Sombody gotta keep the spirit of '69 alive!

scooters is just part of the culture.

I'm STILL puttin the boots to the nazis heads at shows.

Just like Joe Hawkins.

Forever S.H.A.R.P.!

to the OP, if you're serious about the Ninja bike, years ago I did just what you're asking about. i bought a 250R when I lived in Greensboro. Nice bike, but after awhile, it will begin to feel small. On the highway, particularly the interstate, it will be small. It's a nice bike, quick, pretty stable on the road. I stepped up after a couple of months to the 600R. Much nicer. Bigger bike, feels much better on the road at 70 mph. You're usually invisible to drivers on a bike anyway, but less so on a larger bike.

Bottom line, if you can afford to, just start out with the 600R (or is it 650R now?). Its no so large you can't hold it up, and it has plenty of power for you. You'll love it, just remember other drivers think with you bike you should watch out for them, and they think you can turn it on a dime at 50 mph.

Enjoy, and good luck!!

Edited by rangerdavid

I agree that starting too small like a 250 will only piss you off once you becaome comfortable on the bike and want something bigger. A good bike to start with is something like a Buell Blast 500c made by Harley Davidson or a v-twin sport bike like a Suzuki Sv-650 which aren't a snappy as the inline 4s of the same size. I ride a Honda Vtr1000 "Superhawk V-twin 1000c with the plastic kit off set up as a naked bike, plenty of power and plenty fast enough.

post-6703-1208044151_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

i recommend a USED late model 600cc bike... get a feel for riding on that (which you could probably get for <$4000 easy in fair shape). the 250cc will get old real quick and you'll be wanting more power.

chances are: you're gonna spill it sooner or later. might as well spill a used bike than your brand new shiney one.

oh yeah -- get a helmet and some gloves at the VERY least.

Edited by ripper225

Sorry Juggs, but I do have to say this, I hate scooters!

They are ill handling, underpowered, and look gay. If you are a man of any size you wind up looking like a monkey humping a football! Plus, they are very popular in France!

But on the other hand, if that is what you are looking for, have fun! :haha2: