I've always wanted to get a motorcycle ever since I can remember, first it was a dirtbike, then as I got older, a sportbike. The closest I got was a 4-wheeler :D . My first try at riding a motorcycle was an old Suziki dirtbike (250cc), which promptly ended in some bushes with a foot-long bloody gash on my leg, thanks to the foot peg :lol: . I made the mistake of taking a friends advice of "Dude, you can drive your car, and that's stick, so you can ride a dirtbike and change gears". Yeah, he didn't tell me that the throttle/clutch sensitivity on a bike is WAY toucher than with my 5-speed Honda.

So I've decided to take a safety class at the local Harley shop, which when you're done with it, let's you skip the road test, and you just get your motorcycle license (you have to have your permit before you take the class of course). Not to mention the obvious education of riding/safety (which I definitely need, says the scar on my leg), and the insurance break it provides.

I have been looking for cheap used bikes, but came across a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Yeah, I know "250" doesn't scream "sportbike", but stick with me. These things are $3500 brand new, and to be honest look baaaaaaad-ass. They don't have that "wanna-be sportbike" look that a lot of smaller engined bikes have. They have a full-fledged sportbike appearance.............just with a dirtbike sized engine.

Would I be stupid to get one of these? I feel like it would be great for a beginner like me, but that I would soon outgrow it and want more power. On the other hand, a 250cc is what handed me my ass last time I jumped on a bike :bag: . I love the way this thing looks, but I can't get over the fact that it is a 250. I want to make it clear that I'm not some shallow asshole who is only worried about looks/power/coolness of the bike, but at the same time, I don't wanna get laughed off the road by some dick on an R1. I'm not looking to be getting up on 1 tire on the highway, doing burnouts, racing, or stunting. I just want to get into motorcycling.

So what do you riders think? Get this bike, learn how to ride, get comfortable with bikes in general and move to a bigger bike if I feel the need? Or just go ahead, save some more money, and look for a used 600?

(I know there's quite a few Harley-type bike riders in here, and I work with some too, and I hear them crack jokes on sportbikes and how they are childish/whiny sounding/yada yada yada. But look past the fact that it's not a Harley, and offer up some of your knowledge to help a noob out :D )

Here's a pic of what it looks like:

2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

2008_Ninja250R_Right.jpg

Sportsbikes are cool, mostly for the almost s**t your pants rush, but in my humble opinion, arent of much use for transportation. In particular, they arent comfortable, contorting you into a hunched over feet back position. this is especially a pain if you have a lot of stoplights in your way, you will notice a big difference between stepping down at a stop on a sport bike and a cruiser. As far as the small motor, i wouldnt worry about it either way, its going to be fast enough to challenge you as a begining rider, and its small enough your insurance wont be the price you would pay with a large crotch rocket. However, i do have to say, you shouldnt be afraid of a bigger motor just because you are a beginner, the biggest challenge of a bike, big or small is riding a bike. Of course, the smaller the bike the easier it is to pick back up. The motor and the weight dont make too much of a difference. My first bike back in the day was a 250 honda, it was a great all around bike, and i rode it far more than i should have, trippling the mileage on a used bike in a matter of months. After a while i realized if i wanted to keep making interstate roadtrips, i really needed to get a bike with a little more high end oomf, its just a little frightening seeing a semi bear down on you at 85 and not be able to gun it that extra bit and get out of the way. I sold the bike to a friend, but i went out of country and didnt get my next bike for almost two years. By that time i really had to relearn how to ride, esp in traffic, and i was a little worried as i jumped up to an 1100cc monster. I shouldnt have worried, i learned how to handle that just as easily as i did the baby bike.

Get something you like, want to keep a while, and are comfortable on.

my 2 cents.

Anybody that would tell you to begin your motorcycling experience on a Harley-Davidson has either never ridden one or wishes you dead. My bike weighs about 800 pounds and that is nothing to try an learn how to ride on; too much power and too much weight. My first bike (in 1969) was a Benelli 250cc sold by Montgomery Ward. My next bike was a 1971 Harley-Davidson FX Cafe Racer, then a 1982 FXR and now a 2004 FLHRC.

This is similiar to what I had but mine was black/

post-3915-1207295415_thumb.jpg

This was my 1971 FX

post-3915-1207295505_thumb.jpg

post-3915-1207296865_thumb.jpg

This is my son wanting to try out Pop's 1982 FXR

post-3915-1207295909_thumb.jpg

This is my 2004 Road King prior to making it my own

post-3915-1207296267_thumb.jpg

This is the same bike configured to my tastes engine upgrade and etc.

post-3915-1207296354_thumb.jpg

So, in a word YEA get the bike you like and keep it something that A. won't run away with you to begin with and B. you can pick up when you inevitably drop it. You don't impress anyone by getting hurt by worrying about what your buddies think. Start small, learn, stay safe and live to see another day. Remember when you ride a motorcycle you are invisible! You MUST do all the looking and avoiding because fault doesn't matter when you're the one lying on the pavement. Be smart and good luck.

Edited by 1911
I feel like it would be great for a beginner like me, but that I would soon outgrow it and want more power.

Just my .02 here, but Bingo! If you are an adult over 125 pounds, do NOT go this route. I've known a few people who bought them and wanted to get rid of them a few WEEKS later. IMO, these bikes are produced for schools to train people to ride. Trouble is, they're so light and nimble, they're nothing like the "real" bike that you will end up with. I think the best thing to do would be to get an older GSXR600, ZX6, R6, etc. You don't have to have a brand new bike, my first one was a carburated '99 ZX-7 (750, steel frame, HEAVY) It was heavy and stable, had the power behind it, but with smooth application. Bikes have changed a lot in the last 10 years, and the difference between a '97 600 and an '07 600 is night and day.

On the other hand, a 250cc is what handed me my ass last time I jumped on a bike :bag: .

Apples and oranges here, I assume what you rode was an RM 250, which has the power-to-weight ration of something more like a 750 or 1000 in street bikes. The power in them isn't nearly as violent in street bikes as those 2-stroke bikes. An older 600cc is more comparable to a 125cc dirt bike. Very manageable, you can't accidently flip them with the flick of a wrist, yet it won't leave you desiring too much. The most important thing is that you do the safety course as described, prior to buying, with the bike they provide. THEN after you get your bike, immediately attend an "advanced" class with YOUR bike: http://www.msf-usa.org/ This will allow you to practice the tougher tasks on your machine in a closed controlled environment.

One more thing I'll say, don't skimp out on riding gear. Buy riding boots, a jacket, and gloves that are designed for riding. Don't wait to get these items, they will save your ass if you go down.

Good luck, ride safe.

edit: One more thing, if you have any friends that ride dirt bikes, ask them to go with. Street vs. dirt has it's differences, but the controls are the same. I rode dirt bikes a little as a kid, got a street license by taking a written, bought that 750 and went to the "advanced" MSF course with no problems. Dirt is a great place to learn because you're wearing a lot of safety gear (if you're not a dumbass), and the surface is much more forgiving when you hit it.

Edited by shaneman153a

Hello, 22_shooter

I would agree with what 1911 and ReverendFranz say (for the most part on the latter) but would like to add a comment or two.

First of all, the Kawasaki 250 is likely one of the easiest bikes there is to ride. That's likely why they are practically the universal MSF training bike for beginning riders. They are also one of the most fun street bikes around, not because they scare the shit outa you, but just the opposite. They are confidence-inspiring and forgiving, two very endearing qualities. Also very easy to pick up, as mentioned previously.

Which is an item that you should use to your advantage. There are a bunch of these models out there that have been used for "first bike/training bike" service that can be had incredibly cheaply. Many of these have, in fact, been down a time or three. Not a huge negative for a beginning rider, 'cause you have to expect to fall off a time or two. Matter of fact, ANY rider has to expect to fall off a time or two, but particularly one who is just starting out.

Find one of these little gems that has 'lost her cherry" and abuse her without remorse. When you feel ready to move up, send her to her next suitor and find which direction you want to explore in the variety of excellent bikes out there.

One important axiom to always remember:

"ATGATT" - "All The Gear, All The Time".

It's absolutely amazing what can be walked away from if the rider(s) have prepared by wearing the proper gear. That means more than just a helmet, although I'm not trying to downplay the value of a good, properly fitted and secured helmet.

-Now, you will always have to be concerned about that Buick bumper drawing down on you if you fall off, there's not much "Buick-proof" gear out there, but heck, nothing's perfectly safe.

Two things that you need to constantly practice and be aware of. Like most self-defense actions, these only work if you practice them to the point that they are instinctive.

a) Countersteering. It's one of those anamolies that you just don't believe until you try, but by steering the handlebars one direction, you steer the opposite. They stress that in any beginning MSF course, but if you don't understand and practice it, it won't bail you out when you need it;

B) Ability to use that front brake! The single most important factor to stayin' alive on the public roadways. That doesn't mean grab as much as you can whenever you feel the urge, it means to get the feel for how much you can grab, and how to reach that point incrementally. Once again, if you don't instinctively do it, it won't save yer' ass, so it's something you need to do religiously.

I ride with my middle finger over the brake lever all the time (and my left thumb covering the button for my Stebel air horns) so I can save that half-second to start the stopping process. I reckon the lack of stopping ability accounts for most of the injuries/fatalities for motorcyclists. You need to stack the odds in your favor.

Now, as for the practicality of sportbikes......I have an old H/D (1981-1/2 Wide Glide w/ Evo motor, 4 speed trans and chain final) that I picked up because I believe it was the first Big Twin to utilize the Evo motor in H/D's lineup. May have some collector value, I'm not certain about that, but it sure ain't a rider! Sumbitch will blur your vision over 65 MPH, and don't even try to lean that thing into a fast sweeper, hard stuff hits the pavement in lieu of rubber! (don't ask how I found that out....)

On the other hand, either one of my current Ducati ST's (Sport Tourers) one of which has been altered to my "SC" (Sport Commuter) is as comfortable and practical as any speed-demon bike out there. These ST4S's have the World Superbike dominating 996 4-valve Desmo twin cylinder motor in 'em, and they love to hand lesser bikes their asses! Nothing like smokin' a squid on a four-cylinder sportbike with hard luggage mounted on the Duck. That's handin' em their ass, brother! 'Specially by an old fart......

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

I believe you will be very unhappy with the 250cc sportbike within a short space of time. Especially, if you have any daily commute distance via highway. I suggest an older motorcycle (minimum 500cc) so the "learning curve" of a new rider doesn't apply wear and tear to an otherwise new bike adding to the instant value depreciation. I would also add that trying to use a sportbike like the Kawasaki Ninja or a Hayabusa for commuting to work is the equivalent of riding the Busch Garden's Loch Ness Monster roller coaster. Of course, it's an awesome ride, but do you want to use it to get to work and back each day?

Motorcycles are a blast to ride,I learned years ago on a 125 suzuki.

I have a Harley now and love it,but like 1911 says,theyre heavy,and if you drop it it dont come up fast.

Start off small and get used to riding,then find a bike that fits YOU and is comfortable to YOU,because if you do road trips on them or you have a decent distance to ride to work then its still YOU that feels it when its not a good fit.

Ninjas are fun bikes,theyre toys,mainly for playing around town on but not a good traveling bike,just like any sport bikes.A buddy of mine swapped my harley for his gixser for a ride once and loved the way you can sit up and ride comfortable as opposed to hunkering down and kissing the gas tank going down the road.Another buddy tried to go on a 5 day trip with us on his Bandit and had to turn around and go back home on the second day because the ride was killing him.

Once you ride a while you will find what makes you the happiest with riding and you'll look for something you like.

Ultimately it is still all about YOU.

This is my ride

post-8345-1207308008_thumb.jpg

One important axiom to always remember:

"ATGATT" - "All The Gear, All The Time".

It's absolutely amazing what can be walked away from if the rider(s) have prepared by wearing the proper gear. That means more than just a helmet, although I'm not trying to downplay the value of a good, properly fitted and secured helmet.

I got out off active duty at the age of 26. Having been a medic in the Army, I'd seen my share of road accidents (and since I prefer to learn from other peoples mistakes) and decided to take a motorcycle safety course. My brother went with me. We ended up getting Yamaha Virago 750s. These bikes weren't too big, but weren't too little. They were comfortable to ride (no yoga training necessary).

Speaking of the safety equipment. It's just like carrying your pistol (if you've got a CHL). "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I'd carry my school clothes in my backpack and change before school. I got some awful funny looks when I'd walk out of the bathroom at the college wearing full leathers at the end of the day in the middle of summer. Once you get rolling on the bike, the 55mph wind chill will ease your discomfort, though.

I recommend you get something 500cc or better and take your time getting used to it. Learn your basics first, get used to the bike. After you've gotten familiar with how it rolls, then you can get jiggy with it ( you know you will want to devil.gif)

A lot of great advice and info here for you 22_shooter, and anybody else thinking of getting a bike.

I''ve ridden a Ninja 250 and am quite familiar with them. My girlfriend at the time had one as that is what she learned to ride on. About 2 months later, she bought a late 90's Nija 600. My bike's gas tank sprung a leak and I was waiting for a replacement tank. A group ride was organized and she told me to take her 600, I told her no, you take your 600, I'll use the 250. Man what a blast that was, I truly did have fun on that bike. Keeping up with 1100 & 1200's on the 250...LOL

She gave me the 250 and I played on it for about a month. I wouldn't do much intertstate riding on it. I agree with everyone else here, I'd get a 600cc or so. If for some reason you are drawn to the 250, the thing about the 250 Ninja is that they hold their value very well. They don't last long on the "for sale" market. So you could get it, and you should be able to get rid of it rather easily when in a short time you wish to get a larger bike.

I wish I still had that 250 pretty much for the mpg factor. My bike get about 35mpg.

A few suggestions as what you may want to look at, used is good for a first bike. the highest risk for a wreck in regards to riding experience are 0-6 months and 25-36 months. It's way better to drop a used bike than a new bike.

Consider looking at naked bikes as when you do drop them, fully fairing bikes get costly to fix all the plastic.

An SV-650, dl600 (Vstrom), as well as Guido's suggestions.

One book I highly recommend it to get "Profiecient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Not the "More Proficient Motorcycling". It is by far in my opinion the best book on motorcycle riding for street riding. I re-read it every spring and have been since 2001. It's my riding bible.

Another cliche for you that is right on the money: Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall... wear the gear!!!

22_shooter,

Not much I can add here, except there's a lot of good advice to mull over. I've been riding close to 10 years and I still haven't gotten a new bike. But that's only because I don't mind riding older equipment (I can do the maintenance myself) and there are a lot of good deals to be had out there on the used market. I think maybe something in the 500 to 750cc range would be better in a standard configuration for learning. As a commuter bike, I swear by my '84 Honda cb700SC. It's comfortable and has plenty of oomph if I want to crank it over 1000rpm's (even for a shaft drive). The only caveat is that it's not as stable in the rain as my '78 BMW, however the electronics on those old airheads suck Teutonic nuts. If I were to get another bike right now, I'd seriously look into the klr650 - used of course.

When I get my master's degree I've promised myself a Moto Guzzi Griso. Hopefully I'll have the cash to get it new by then.

Oh yeah and wear the gear, even if you've got to sweat out rush hour traffic at times. Rehydrating yourself is easier than getting a skin graft or spending time in traction. I think you will also find that riding a motorcycle can make you a better car driver. When I drive I scan the road and my mirrors just like I do on my bike. That's saved my ass a time or two.

I rode religiously from 1994 thru 2006. In that time I had one drop, countless idiots try and scare me by playing chicken, three or four fools pass me through the shoulder, collided with three vultures, five pigeons, one cat, one 2 x 4 that feel off a truck going to a construction site (at 60 mph), and a swarm of bees. I rode an XL from 94 thru 99 and an FLHP from 99 thru 06. About 80K total miles. I loved every minute of riding except the incidents mentioned above. However, I left that world behind when I started doing the math on just how much riding was costing me, and what I could or would ever get back from my bikes if I ever sold them intact, or wrecked. I finally decided to sell everything (intact and in excellent running condition) in the fall of 06 and invested all the money I got for my kids college.

More to the point, if it's your first bike, consider an Sportster 883. Great bike, good power, extreme reliability, easy to fix when something does go wrong, thousands of accessories to choose from, good resale value. Japanese bikes tend to loose a lot of value very quickly. However, if you go Japanese go Honda or Yamaha.

I have had all sorts of bikes including a HD, and I think whatever floats your boat is what you should get. Dont be loyal to a brand just because is it a popular brand, get whats right for you.

A 250 is a little small IMO, and you would soon want to be trading it in for a bigger bike, and as we all know, your bike can loose a lot of resale value as soon as you ride off on it.

Biggest thing is to ride safe. I always rode away from cars as much as possible, and was always checking my left, right, rear and what was going on in front of me. Letting your mind drift while riding can get you killed.

A friend of mine saw a biker literally get shoveled into a body bag after a car hit him and his body basically exploded upon impact.

Ride what makes you happy, have fun and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Appendix to what I wrote earlier. All 80K miles ridden were with a full face helmet, boots, gloves, and long sleeves or jacket. Every single mile. My best friend would never ride with a helmet and I hounded him for it. The day he bought a helmet, he was t-boned and was launched about 40 feet from his bike. He fell on his head and shoulders. Shattered the helmet and dislocated his shoulder, but he survived. To this day he thanks me for hounding him on the use of a helmet.

I always wore jeans a leather jacket and a helmet. My brother was hit by a drunk lady in a station wagon, and it actually knocked him out of his boots. He ended up getting an artificial hip out of that one.

I watch the guys on the "rice rockets" no offense guys, ride around in shorts and a t shirt and think to myself if they ever have to lay a bike down they are sure gonna wish they had more clothes on.

I watch the guys on the "rice rockets" no offense guys, ride around in shorts and a t shirt and think to myself if they ever have to lay a bike down they are sure gonna wish they had more clothes on.

Hence the nickname "squids" because that's the smear pattern they leave behind.

Wow, I just got out of work, and have all this great info to read. I love this place :D .

Anyways. Thanks to everyone for your input, I honestly appreciate it.

So for the most part, people are recommending a 600ish to start, instead of the Ninja 250. That's kinda what I was leaning toward, but it's good to hear experienced riders chime in. But on the other hand, someone here said (and I've read on some bike forums) that the Ninja 250r specifically, tends to hold it's value pretty good, due to people wanting them for the same reason I do.

On the way home from work, I drove past a used car dealership, and they had a couple bikes parked out front. I didn't stop, but I'm gonna head there on my day off and see what's up. I also plan to head to some bike shops and actually sit on some bikes to see what fits me, size-wise (I'm 6', 210#).

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone (who I take serious as person :rolleyes: ) who rides. I work with a couple guys who ride, but just listening to them talk about their bikes (each one of their bikes is the best ever made/they are the best rider, blah blah blah), and just knowing them in general, makes me not want to learn anything from them. I'm also gonna call the Harley shop that offers the class and see what's open. I know they schedule classes based on the number of people who sign up for them.

I understand everyone on the riding gear issue, and I plan on doing things right. NY has helmet laws anyway, but I've always said "Even if I had a choice, there's no way I'd go without one". I've gotten in some pretty hairy situations with my old 4-wheeler, and was glad I had a helmet on.

So as of right now, I'm leaning towards getting a 500-600 to start out on, and just taking my time and getting comfortable.

Anybody that would tell you to begin your motorcycling experience on a Harley-Davidson has either never ridden one or wishes you dead.

The place that offers the class is a Harley shop, but the bikes they teach you on are 250cc wanna-be-Harley-looking-bikes. Not fullsized cruisers.

I was outside a bar last year having a cigarette and got talking to a guy who pulled up on a huge Harley (it looked massive to me anyway :D ), and we got talking about his bike. I ended up sitting on it, and couldn't imagine anyone maneuvering that thing on the streets. Props to you guys who ride those beasts :super: .

my first one was a carburated '99 ZX-7 (750, steel frame, HEAVY)

Sounds like you might have had a one of a kind collector's item. Kawasaki used aluminum frames since at least 1990 on all their zx7 and zx7r models. :eek:

Did you think it was steel because it was powder coated black? Remove the powder coat, polish it, and it would have shined like a brand new nickel.

Anybody that would tell you to begin your motorcycling experience on a Harley-Davidson has either never ridden one or wishes you dead.

The place that offers the class is a Harley shop, but the bikes they teach you on are 250cc wanna-be-Harley-looking-bikes. Not fullsized cruisers.

I was outside a bar last year having a cigarette and got talking to a guy who pulled up on a huge Harley (it looked massive to me anyway :D ), and we got talking about his bike. I ended up sitting on it, and couldn't imagine anyone maneuvering that thing on the streets. Props to you guys who ride those beasts :super: .

After you get some riding done on a bike, you'll get the idear (and your body will) of what the bike expects from you. I think most of us started out small(er) and worked our way up. My brother started with his 750 Virago, moved to a HD 1200 Sportster (smaller bike with a big engine) and now has a big honkin' HD Police model.

Back when I took my motorcycle license road test, there was a handful of military guys taking it at the same time. Most of the guys were on rented small bikes, but one of them had his brand new Harley. It only had like 12 miles on it. During the portion of the test where you do a quick swerve left or right, his front end washed out and he low sided. The damage wasn't serious since he wasn't going too fast, but the right side of the bike was scratched to hell. As a bonus, he failed the test. The guy was pretty bummed.

My dirt bike is a 650cc, a Suzuki DR-650 to be exact.

Bikes are fun, but I still have scars and pins and plates as mementos. I was DOA on a Ninja 1000 20 years ago, be careful.

My .02 comes from my years of riding.

That Kawi may be fine for you as a starter bike.

It would be way too small for me.

It all depends on your build.

I started with a Honda SL125.

Then moved up to a Kawasaki Z-1.

Then to a Harley sportster which made me realize how much I missed that Z-1!

I have an old Gold Wing sitting outside now.

...And I might even get it put back together one day.....

As far as the potential costs both monetarily and physically, that is a decision each of us has to make for ourselves....

22 Shooter, Iv'e been riding for 35 years all over the U.S.,Japan, Alaska. Ie started when I was 14, on dirt bikes '(best way to learn the moves that'll save your life!). Started street riding at 18, I raced off road & motocross for nearly 30 years. I was never injured seriously no broken bones or torn ligaments, WHY? you ask, because of THE RIDING GEAR!!!! WEAR IT ALL THE TIME!!! Boots, Armored street jacket, Good riding gloves, aaand the Best Snell certified full face helmet you can afford DON'T SKIMP! on the helmet. A 250 is a good bike to learn on but ,the learning curve is so steep that you will be ready for something bigger very quickly. I don't mean Faster or Badder just more comfortable for you. You're a big guy, you will out grow a 250 before you can use the loss you'll take if you sell quickly. Look at the big bore Dual Sports from the four dragons (Japanese). A 600 or 650 single is easy to ride, powerful enough to cruise @ interstate speeds and gets good mileage. Insurance is cheaaper on these too. They have large fuel capacity and run all week on a tank. You will also be able to go off road MILDLY!! you'll learn and practice on loose soil and gravel, these skills WILL save your life on the street. Don't go for big jumps and all that freestyle CRAP, explore trails, fireroads, ect. Then ride your bike to work dirty, and when you co-worker on the cruiser or sportbike looks at you , just grin and say, I rode off road this weekend, what did you do? I'm still ridi'n on the street on a Honda VTX 1800. Hope to see ya down the road.

Edited by Thud

DO NOT buy that bike. you will soon wish you had a larger one. take a look at the suzuki sv650 they are pretty tame but are still enjoyable as you progress. the 250 is way to small. I used to be a motorcycle tech and believe me when i tell you that bike is not what you want. check out the sv650 its a v twin and very managable. if you want an inline take a look at the gs500 or ninja 500. obviously your going to drop it at some point so you may want to go the enduro route drz400 etc

thats just my 2cents i have seen a lot of people come back to the shop wanting to trade their 250s in after just a few weeks. i have been riding since the age of 4 and riding street since 16, i would consider myself and experienced rider and i still enjoy the sv650. one of my friends whom had never thrown a leg over a bike bought an sv650 and he droped it a few times but once he figured it out he loved the bike.

I think its a good idea to start out on a small bike. The 250 would be fine and its supposed to be able to do 100 mph. You will learn a lot on a small bike that you really need to know on a big bike. I started out on a Suzuki 125 in 1966. Got a 250 X6 Suzuki in that same year. At the time it was the biggest Suzuki made. I rode that bike all over the country. In 1967 I got a 1961 Harley XLH. I dont regret having the smaller bikes. Starting out with a 500 would probably be OK but go with a cruizer style and not a sportbike. The 500 sportbikes are still very fast and can get you into trouble quickly. Kawasaki makes a 500 twin cruizer and the Buell Blast single looks good. Currently I have a 1975 HD XLH. Pick the one you like and good luck.

Thanks guys.

After I went out to dinner tonight, I told my friend to drive by a local bike shop. It was closed but we hopped out and had our faces smashed against the glass looking at all the bikes :D .

On gonna head over there on my day off next week.

Dont get the 250 new. Dont even buy a 500 new. Buy a used 500 to learn on, like a GS 500 Suzuki. 250 is a dog, 500 is decent for learning and around town. If you down it, you wont cry your eyes out over that fresh gashed green fairings.

I got a few easy tips:

~Start with something in the 500-650 range.

~Get a standard or a naked to start

~Don't get one the sportbike lookalike non-standard engine bikes like a 250 or 500. They usually have a 100 to 150 pounds more weight on them then one of the bikes that the same company actually puts time and effort into designing, worse brakes, etc. You'll find some 250's will be heavier than the 600's of the same manufacturer that look very alike thanks to similar plastics, althought they're very different and not any easier to ride.

~You're going to drop it.

There have been a lot of good comments here and each one carries it's own merit. What bike you finally choose, will be your choice (duh). What ever it is that you pick, be it new, old, large, small, sport or cruiser, please ride it safely and like an old man would, that is if you ever hope to achieve that status, maybe even without a gimp. Exercise the same respect for the bike that you would for a firearm, remember it can and will kill you if you are not careful. Enjoy the smells in the wind and the wind in your face but please be careful and write back to us with your experiences.

Well, after I got back into town today, I called up my uncle. He owes me about $4K for helping him for 2 summers, on his construction crew (him and my g-pa have their own construction biz). I keep getting the run around about when he's paying me :rolleyes: , and that's the money I was going to put toward a bike. I guess, sometimes, it's true what they say; Money and blood don't mix.

So my motorcycle adventures are gonna have to be put on hold for awhile.

But again, thanks for all the replies and info guys.