Newb with a question

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to just buy a lancaster tatcical or buy a 7.62x39 Saiga and convert it ? I can get the lancaster for $669.00 , how much would I be spending on a Saiga with all the mods to make it identical to the lancaster ? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

change out the stocks for whatever stocks and whatnot are on that, plus any accessories. this is the pricing for a basic conversion.

add all that to the cost of a saiga @ ~$250

Edited by chupacabrah

Something that has not come up, but is important: The Lancaster (no matter how pretty it is) is made from surplus parts kits.

Saigas are brand new and the operable parts aren't touched during a conversion.

You don't know whether the Lancaster you get started out as an unissued rifle or if that rifle had a harsh existence. You also don't know if the assembler was having a bad day during the reassembly of the parts back into a rifle (there are quite a lot of operations necessary to build an AK from a parts kit [ more oppertunities for stuff to go wrong ]).

Saiga conversions don't have any of their operable parts moved during a conversion.

And when you're done, you've got a real Russian AK, not a mix of parts with some pretty wood furniture stuck on it. Don't get me wrong, I like Lancaster. Good guns, good warranties. I like 'em. I love Saigas. They're just the real deal.

Siaga's are the ultimate tinkerer's toy, one of the best guns i've ever owned. Your imagination is the only limit you have with these babys.

plus, like stated above.... it's factory new.

dunno about you guys, mine came with a 3 year factory warrenty.

Edited by The-Beast
Siaga's are the ultimate tinkerer's toy, one of the best guns i've ever owned. Your imagination is the only limit you have with these babys.

plus, like stated above.... it's factory new.

dunno about you guys, mine came with a 3 year factory warrenty.

Thanks guys, I think you have talked me into the Saiga. I just need to decide which caliber x39 or .223. I can get .223 ammo here for half the cost of x39, but i would like to eventually load my own. Considering this aspect what would be the smarter way to go. I also want a S-12 so when I order it will be for both. What I am looking for in the rifle is some target shooting and plinking with my son and would like to get into the combat shooting. So based on this criteria which one would be the better caliber? Thanks again for the responses.

It's not hard to convert at all....I was nervous but wanted to slam my head off the wall for not doing it sooner. Also, it's FUN. I had a blast taking the innards out my rifle and giving it new life. An added bonus: now I know how it functions. A diagram is one thing...holding it in your hands and watching it is so much more rewarding.

I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to just buy a lancaster tatcical or buy a 7.62x39 Saiga and convert it ?

Come on, you're on the Saiga forum....you expect us to say the Lancaster is better? :haha:

That's all I have to add, I've never seen/shot a Lancaster so I'm no good at comparing the two

I can get .223 ammo here for half the cost of x39

Where the hell do you live :eek: ???????? I want those prices.

I live in Southwest Michigan, and my local store has Remington .223 for $6.99 a box and the 7.62x39 is $13.99 a box. I know I can get it off the internet cheaper(x39) if I buy quantities of it, but if I get it from the local store the .223 is half the cost. Maybe Remington is not a good choice for these weapons, I'm a newb with questions. Thanks, theDuke.

I bought a box of remington for my rifle when I first got it. I had to shoot the thing as soon as it was cleaned up, so I bought what they had. That said, I would never, ever, pay that much for ammo under normal circumstances. I buy all my ammo in bulk and don't pay anywhere near that much for it. You can get a thousand rounds of 7.62X39 from the ammo man shipped to your door for $195.00 I can understand why you'd want the .223 seeing as you paid $0.70 a round, but once you start paying less than a third of that you'll agree that the 7.62 is the better choice. BTW, buy lots and lots of ammo whenever you can. I bought ammo in the begining of october for $169.00 delivered that now costs $195.00

the x39 is more fun to shoot, hands down... the kick is just half the fun, it's not as bad as you hear either.

around here, in Western New York x39 is cheap as 4.99 for 20, where as .233 is almost double that.

and a word of advice, never buy x39 ammo from wal-mart... i just inquired and they told me 14.00 for 20, it was winchester.... but come on people!