22 members have voted

1. 1. which gun

• Kel-tec PLR-16
    • Remington 700 in .308
    • Accessories for all

I'm dying here, I don't know what to do... opinions/comments?

I like the attention grabbing and power of the PLR and a .223 handgun is just awesome.

I would also like to have a distance rifle for the days I'm not pumping dozens of rounds of lead from the ak or saiga into targets, hence the Rem. 700.

I was also considering a cantilever barrel and t-stock for the AR-7 (more James Bond-ie)... and more mags for everything.

Edited by XdamagedX
I'm dying here, I don't know what to do... opinions/comments?

I like the attention grabbing and power of the PLR and a .223 handgun is just awesome.

I would also like to have a distance rifle for the days I'm not pumping dozens of rounds of lead from the ak or saiga into targets, hence the Rem. 700.

I was also considering a cantilever barrel and t-stock for the AR-7 (more James Bond-ie)... and more mags for everything.

Instead of the 700 which is a lot of $$$ how about a savage for long range work? They are super accurate and cheaper.

I still find it weird that the gov't is borrowing money to give to the people. Doesn't "someone" have to pay that back as some point?

I would highly advise against the kel-tec. I sold my norinco mak-90 to buy an SU-16 (same mechanism, just with a stock) at the beginning of last summer, and have regretted it ever since. I got rid of the kel-tec within 2 months. The first time I shot it, it jammed up after about 30 rounds, a shell had gotten stuck in the barrel and wouldn't extract. I had to knock it out with a cleaning rod. BTW, this was shooting good ammo, none of the cheap stuff, as I had read that it caused issues. I repeatedly had the problem, and got rid of it.

It's an awesome concept, but poorly executed.

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0555.jpg

Yeah,

but the one you had wasn't the pistil version, I don't know if you can even buy those new any more,..

Well, it's the same mechanism, the "pistol" just has a shorter barrel and no stock. They also make a 12" or 8" version that you can get as a SBR, but it cost a bit more.

I'm not saying that they're not cool guns, I'm just saying that they suck if you want to actually shoot them. They are nice to look at, though.

Well that's sobering to hear... I was going to pick up the kel-tec later today or tomorrow, looks like I'm going to give it some heavy reconsideration, thanks for the info E.C.

No problem G.G.

Saigaboy: I have a hard time shooting a Savage, they just seem like a cheaply made rifle to me. Doesn't matter if they can drive nails at 500 yards I still won't be happy with it. I have the same type of feelings for Glock and S&W. They're all just brands I can't give the time of day no matter how many times I make myself try them out. And on top of that isn't Savage an Asian based company?

And as far as the whole money borrowing thing.... we're borrowing it, but a funny statement I heard at the Funstore the other day was: How are they going to make us re-pay it? I'm sure the gvt. will give what they want WHEN they want... but lets say China starts getting pissy about it saying they want it NOW... what are they going to do? sue us? come collect? Come get it! :lolol:

i got a furnace.....not so sexy, but very needed up here in WI winters.

that said....i think an S-12 is going to be ordered this week.....it may take months to get here.....but that is fine with me.

xdamagedx.....I don't think savage is asian based, are you thinking of Sako?

I have never thought of savage as cheap feeling.....that accutrigger is awesome, and while they are not the most expensive out there....they have always felt good to me. But i have little need for another bolt action big more gun.

I've got a Savage .22 that has too many stsamped steel parts that broke for me to like, than my dad had a .222 (yes .222) that wouldn't keep zero, and all of the ones I've held have felt the same as my .22... just cheaply made (yeah, coming from an AK owner HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA).

I would highly advise against the kel-tec. I sold my norinco mak-90 to buy an SU-16 (same mechanism, just with a stock) at the beginning of last summer, and have regretted it ever since.
Sad to hear. I've never had a single problem with my SU-16CA... and I only run Wolf through it. Sounds like your extractor was messed up.
I would highly advise against the kel-tec. I sold my norinco mak-90 to buy an SU-16 (same mechanism, just with a stock) at the beginning of last summer, and have regretted it ever since.
Sad to hear. I've never had a single problem with my SU-16CA... and I only run Wolf through it. Sounds like your extractor was messed up.

That's wild. I don't know what the deal was with mine, but I won't be buying another kel-tec rifle. I never had any problems with either of the kel-tec pistols I owned, and am considering another p11 for carrying.

I sure like my Savage. Like others have said, that accutrigger is sweet. With my Choate stock it feels solid as a rock.

If you want a super accuarate rifle and have a lotta $$$$$$ then:

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/homepage/ :killer:

My dad back in PRK with the surgeon rifle with reloads gets less than 1/2 inch groups and most of the time better than that at 100 yrs.

But if you have a beer budget then buy good beer. It is tough to have a beer budget and have champagne tastes.

Well that's sobering to hear... I was going to pick up the kel-tec later today or tomorrow, looks like I'm going to give it some heavy reconsideration, thanks for the info E.C.

No problem G.G.

Saigaboy: I have a hard time shooting a Savage, they just seem like a cheaply made rifle to me. Doesn't matter if they can drive nails at 500 yards I still won't be happy with it. I have the same type of feelings for Glock and S&W. They're all just brands I can't give the time of day no matter how many times I make myself try them out. And on top of that isn't Savage an Asian based company?

And as far as the whole money borrowing thing.... we're borrowing it, but a funny statement I heard at the Funstore the other day was: How are they going to make us re-pay it? I'm sure the gvt. will give what they want WHEN they want... but lets say China starts getting pissy about it saying they want it NOW... what are they going to do? sue us? come collect? Come get it! :lolol:

My daughter got to pick a handgun from my collection on her 21st B-day. She picked the Savage 1907 pocket model .32(mfg'd in 1915)she's been shooting since she was six. I tried to talk her into something more modern but she insisted that it was always her favorite, it's never malfunctioned and she can hit what she shoots at with it. It still bugs me but she's comfortable with it so WTF, at least she's packing heat. That pistol is solid as a rock. I owned a Savage 99c in .308 once also. It was a very nice rifle. Still kicking myself for letting it go.

Edited by DaGroaner
And on top of that isn't Savage an Asian based company?

Savage is one of the oldest brand names in American firearms.

Basic take I gather on Savage rifles is they are best accurate bang for the buck and pretty good quality but some think they are ugly. Not 'cheap' as in flimsy.

What is wrong with S&W?

And on top of that isn't Savage an Asian based company?

What is wrong with S&W?

MY problem with S&W is that whole sellout thing to Klinton back in the90's(?) when they pretty much gave into the government and became a bunch of pussies. I've heard they did some staff cleansing since then (and came out with the .500) but it's left a bad taste in my mouth for them ever since.

I dunno why you dont like Savage Rifles... Every single one Ihave ever touched was very well done. I own three, myself... and all of them will SHOOT!

all three are bolt action... a .204 ruger, .17 HMR and a .308... one hole groups with the lot...

If you had a bad experience with them in the past, maybe you need to check them out nowadays... I think they are a lot better rifle than you are giving them credit for.

:smoke:

personally poor choices above, PLR is not interchangeable with any AR 15 accessories, rem 700 overpriced, savage has got the trigger down right, get a nice aftermarket stock and your GTG. besides, my stim check was shitty, it went to bills.

Indy and everyone else voting for a Savage: I decided to break down and see what they had to offer. I looked at a few Savages and they do seem to be better made than I recall, but the ones I compared to the Remington were no cheaper, and felt no better shouldered than the 700's. I decided I'm going to go with the 700 because it feels good in my shoulder and I won't have that nagging in the back of my head saying "well you should have bought the Reminton". I guess what it comes down to is: I don't care if it can drive nails at 500 yards, if it doesn't feel right it just doesn't feel right.

And thanks for contributing nothing in the form of a USEABLE opinion Vultite.

Savage is US made, except 22's and one or two models, which are made in Canada.

Sako is made in Finland.

If the rem 700 is better to your shoulder, get it. You will have the Remington a LOT longer, my bet is, and the number of aftermarket "tweak" parts for it is unreal. I also agree above that the Savage guns are worth a look, which you obviously did so, and still prefer the feel of the 700. The Kel-Tec is a fancy plinker, worthy in its own right, but light night and day to a rem 700. I would suggest ONLY because the ammo is less expensive, to consider a 30-06 chambering.

I shot a very nice customized rem 700 at the florida shoot this year, and it shot phenominally with federal gold medal.

That's wild. I don't know what the deal was with mine, but I won't be buying another kel-tec rifle. I never had any problems with either of the kel-tec pistols I owned, and am considering another p11 for carrying.

I had about 6 fired cases jam in my PLR till I figured out what it is.... the cases had specks of black glued all over the cases. The same black park they use on the whole gun, inc when they park the inside of the chamber. I tried a larger cal. bore brush inverted and attached a cleaning rod down the barrel and used a drill at the muzzle to spin the brush and polish the camber. Seems to have worked. An one the Savage debate... I just won a stainless Savage 116 Weather Warrior 375 HH Alaskan Guide from a FoNRA banquet. Havent shot it yet... havent worked up the courage to shoot it yet with its factory pad and no porting. I know what my 450 marlin guide feels like... love it!