steel s12 magwell

post-5008-1209546417_thumb.jpghaven't been on there in a while, but heres a picture of my s12 with my 'custom made' magwell. it took about 6 hours from design of the cardboard template to the finish including 1 hour baking on the finish,

it makes mag changes fast and sooo easy. all i want know is a reflex sight for the side mount or on a rail on the dust cover, has anyone tried any of the Chinese copies of the 551, Hakka or Dr. optics?

post-5008-1209546417_thumb.jpghaven't been on there in a while, but heres a picture of my s12 with my 'custom made' magwell. it took about 6 hours from design of the cardboard template to the finish including 1 hour baking on the finish,

it makes mag changes fast and sooo easy. all i want know is a reflex sight for the side mount or on a rail on the dust cover, has anyone tried any of the Chinese copies of the 551, Hakka or Dr. optics?

So how did you do it?

1.6 mm plate the 2 sides have 5mm fold at the back then the back welded on the outside to give the catch on the back of the mag clearance. 1 screw holding the front, a roll pin replaces the mag catch pin. the only reason i made it so long is its easier to cut it shorter than make it longer. thats a 5 round mag in the 1st photo, and they drop free. just a quick grind to the front of the mag for the mode.post-5008-1209620125_thumb.jpg

Edited by gunoholic
1.6 mm plate the 2 sides have 5mm fold at the back then the back welded on the outside to give the catch on the back of the mag clearance. 1 screw holding the front, a roll pin replaces the mag catch pin. the only reason i made it so long is its easier to cut it shorter than make it longer. thats a 5 round mag in the 1st photo, and they drop free. just a quick grind to the front of the mag for the mode.post-5008-1209620125_thumb.jpg

So do we see a possible future business prospect here ??? :rolleyes: On the count of three we all say Pretty Please make a bunch of these wonderful toys for us lower life forms :dollar:

Good guess on my part 16 gauge = 1.59 MM.

I guessing again, but your insertion angles seem to be slightly different than the Russian mag well. I had to add a "bump" on the back of the 5 round magazine (after grinding off the front "latch") to make the magazine fit properly. Apparently not a problem for you, as the Russian mag well was designed for special "mag well" magazines.

I guessing again, but your insertion angles seem to be slightly different than the Russian mag well. I had to add a "bump" on the back of the 5 round magazine (after grinding off the front "latch") to make the magazine fit properly. Apparently not a problem for you, as the Russian mag well was designed for special "mag well" magazines.

You don't have to grind off the front lug of a fiver to get it to lock in on my Russian magwell. I was surprised by this and didn't discover it until I had already ground one about halfway down. Now it fits a little loose. The standard Izzy eight rd mag however, does need modification, it's built up more in the rear.

Nice work gunoholic!

they wont help your 922 parts count, coz i'm in new zealand.

The game is not what parts you add but which foreign parts you take away. Being a fur in ner your mag well would need us to reduce another foreign part.

Very nice. I don't have the skill to do what you did but if it works out maybe you could post specs for the DIY folks who do have the talent.

Interesting. It never occurred to me that the 5 rounders would fit. I modified my ten rounder AGP mags, then continued with the 5 rounders. The shot shell entry angle is slightly steeper with my modified 5 rounders compared with the unmodified 5 rounders. I really don't shoot the with the 5 rounder magazines, so I can't verify the reliability of either angle.

You don't have to grind off the front lug of a fiver to get it to lock in on my Russian magwell. I was surprised by this and didn't discover it until I had already ground one about halfway down. Now it fits a little loose. The standard Izzy eight rd mag however, does need modification, it's built up more in the rear.

Nice work gunoholic!

I think I'm going to build a mag well myself.

I didn't try previously, because of a post Tony Rumore wrote. He had said that he tried building one and didn't get satisfactory results.

This might be fun.

Did y'all forget that MD Arms is already working on a US made magwell?

Nah just nodding off waiting.

My wish list is mag well, LRBHO, quick release, and same good rear sights and so far they are still wish list items.

MD Arms got lost.

He could have easily made a couple of thousand mag wells and made some good money, instead he got bogged down with his drum.

But, this is America and we're 'mericans.

Or, I could have done the same thing (make mag wells), sold two to myself and had a whole stack of paper weights.

My wish list is mag well, LRBHO, quick release, and same good rear sights and so far they are still wish list items.

MD Arms got lost.

He could have easily made a couple of thousand mag wells and made some good money, instead he got bogged down with his drum.

I agree. The magwell didn't seems like as great of a venture.

Of course, I'm still waiting in anticipation of my MDarms drum!

New exciting things take time. Patience is rewarded. Comparison - it took me 11 months to get a Saiga magwell out of Russia; Mike is not that deep into it yet. I was just buying he is designing & building. Just another thought. I am glad to see ANY new and exciting products for the S-12 platform. Three cheers for innovation and perseverance from whatever quarter it comes from. Huzza for AGP, Huzza for Mike Davidson & Huzza for Dinzag, Tony, Cobra, Red Stick, Jammer, Viking Kittty Armory, the Vest Guy, Cadiz Gun Works, Rifle Dynamics and et al. I just feel fortunate to have all these wonderful toys available. I have been wishing for years and here they are. :)

:rolleyes: You guys are trippin. He's not LOST and he's not "bogged down"... y'all are just impatient. The drums will be shipping soon and most of the work on the magwells is already done. It's just all the people crying about the wait that makes it seem so long. Same with the LRBHO and bolt release. Good things take time. If each one was it's own separate thing they would have already been out. They are all integral and HAVE to work together to be successful. And the fact that there are only two guys working on all this stuff, and still trying to have a life, makes it a little hard to produce results fast enough for a bunch of....

ahhh nevermind....

makes it a little hard to produce results fast enough for a bunch of....

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Don't take it personal Cobra; we live in an immediate gratification society and that is the norm. People gripe because there were only 1,000 pre-sale drums, 250 were added, people griped because those were gone, people griped because they paid for one in March and hadn't received it yet, people griped because he added 15 more and they didn't see it or couldn't afford it. People gripe, so now you & Mike understand how Moses felt leading a bunch of gripers to the promised land. :) Hopefully we won't get punished by wandering for forty years for our griping. :eek::NO: I can see the promised land! Be of good cheer. :)

I guess I better be ANONYMOUS on this post.

MD Arms got lost.

But, this is America and we're 'mericans.

Or, I could have done the same thing (make mag wells), sold two to myself and had a whole stack of paper weights.

Magwells will remain legal after the dems take office, so make them anytime.

Drums could get dinged if a new AWB comes long.

So yeah, do the drums first imho ;)

Did y'all forget that MD Arms is already working on a US made magwell? :unsure:

The magwell has nothing to do with parts count anyway....

Hey Cobra...calm down man :rolleyes: , ain't nobody dissin Mike, he's a real benifit to this community as are you and many others, but when sumpin "new" and exciting pops up I think we all wanna share in the fun. As far as Mikes magwell, and your LRBHO & bolt release they will get here when they get here and me and most everybody here accepts that but don't try to make it sound like we done kicked ol mike to the curb because we wanna check out a possable new gig, aside from all that when mike gets his wells on line I still wanna be first in line even if I do score another one some place else :super: