i have a glock 38 in 45 gap on layaway at the gun shop. the question is the ammo is a bit pricey when they get it , so should i get a xd45 and say no go to the glock? i really want something i can count on having ammo for in the future. not just a flash in the pan gun. :unsure: NEED U GUYZ TO HELP ME PLEASE

i've never seen the use of .45 GAP. first time i heard about it, i thought it was a joke.

since price is an issue appearantly, just take a 9x19mm or a .45ACP instead, i'd say. if you got some cash, .40S&W might be a good option (and no, .40S&W wont be going away anytime soon).

thank you guys....i think i will try for the xd45. that is if the owner ( of the gun shop) doesn,t become an ass ,as always. if that happens i,ll get my money walk and never come back.

Before you toss out your 20% "restocking fee" or whatever they'll tag you for, consider this...

The 45 gap principal is pretty sound (take the 45 acp, shorten it, raise pressures in a proprietary modern gun, still can toss flying ashtrays at standard 45acp speeds). Just a niche player that you'd want to be able to support outside of running to your local hardware store. Simple reloading tools don't cost much, and at today's prices you'll probably want to reload soon enough anyway. Your 20% restock fee might just buy a starter reloading kit and you'll be right back where you started.

If you can get out of the 45 gap, I would. Ammo is hard to find and pricey. Springfield recently dropped the 45gap from their XD line. That being said I just picked up a a XD 45 . It shoots like a dream and is now my primary handgun.

The .45 GAP was a Glock solution to the Glocks feels like a brick problem. The problem was the Glock 21 felt more like 4x8 then the usual 2x4 feel of a Glock frame. They hoped by making a proprietary, hard to find and expensive round they could corner the .45 ACP caliber market. It was a dismal failure on their part. The XD and other capitalized on Glock's failure to keep up with state of the art ergonomics and the rest is history. The XD is the rest of the world's solution to the Glocks feel like a brick problem. Buy the XD, you will thank yourself later. Friends do not let friends buy Glocks. XD it's better then a Block (read Glock).

Although not widely used by home defense folks, I dont see the .45 GAP dead in the water yet. Contrary, I am seeing a lot of LE agencies using it for very real advantages. New York State Police, S. Carolina Hwy Patrol, Georgia State Police, Pennsylvinia State Police, Denver and a bunch of small departments across the country. A local SoCal PD really likes the cartridge. Even the officers that dont prefer Glocks like the round a great deal.

Some of the Advantages that I have noticed are:

* Good knock down round, like the .45 ACP, knocks down steel plates exactly the same. Also no noticible increase in recoil, some say less, but it feels the same to me.

* Smaller catridge means more firepower in the weapon.

* The report (noise) is noticeably quieter than the .45 ACP.

* For reloaders, .45 GAP is some of the best, strongest brass I have seen.

* outstanding accuracy

The GAP vs ACP comparison is very similar to 30/06 vs .308. One normally concludes that .45 GAP is just a .45 ACP-short (like a .308 is a 30/06-short)

I like the 45gap as a defensive pistol round. Its a shame that Gaston Glock called it "45 Glock Auto Pistol", as this automatically turned off competing gun makers and really gave the Glock hating (1911 only) crowd a new thing to flame on the internet. If they called it the ".45 Short" or something else, I think it would have been recieved better. Price and availability are not great compared to .45 ACP, and I would agree with that being a valid reason to not want a gun in the caliber if you plan on shooting huge amounts of ammo. But dont let people who have never even shot one or reloaded the cartridge try to convince you that it is inferior. If anything, its an improved version of the .45 ACP, just marketed in a piss-poor manner.

sorry i have not gotten back sooner. well with some arm twisting, by me. the owner of the gun shop said he would shift the balance of the money towards a xd40. so in good turn ,i payed it off and get it wed. plus i thanked him. HE JUST WISHES HE COULD GET RID OF THOSE DARN GAP GLOCKS, his words, not mine. BUT MOST OF ALL I WISH TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT ON THIS . THANK YOU EVERYONE :chris:

• 10 months later...

The gap from the getgo was a solution to a non problem. Just like the 10mm it is destine to die even if it is a slow death. Many LE agencies bought 10mm and it kept going for a few years, but slowly they all come back to the 9mm or 45 acp. Gun companies keep trying to make something new that people can not live with out. I never buy this crap. Only the stand by. I do not feel any less armed with my 1911 that has been around for 90 years then someone with a gap. Ammo runs 50$ a box and I can load my 45 acp for 4$ a box. I am sure you can do the same with gap but why? Brass is hard to find and what have you gained? Nothing. I do not see how you get more ammo in the mag when it is the same except shorter. How does shorter get more ammo in a mag? I feel that the gun companies manipulate us by trying to create a market. I also dumped the NRA after a legal battle they said I was on the right side of and did nothing but give me a good luck to you. The NRA only cares about corporations such as S&W or Colt, not the individual except as far as it goes to purchasing guns to keep the corporations going. My money will go elsewhere.

• 1 month later...
The gap from the getgo was a solution to a non problem. Just like the 10mm it is destine to die even if it is a slow death. Many LE agencies bought 10mm and it kept going for a few years, but slowly they all come back to the 9mm or 45 acp. Gun companies keep trying to make something new that people can not live with out. I never buy this crap. Only the stand by. I do not feel any less armed with my 1911 that has been around for 90 years then someone with a gap. Ammo runs 50$ a box and I can load my 45 acp for 4$ a box. I am sure you can do the same with gap but why? Brass is hard to find and what have you gained? Nothing. I do not see how you get more ammo in the mag when it is the same except shorter. How does shorter get more ammo in a mag? I feel that the gun companies manipulate us by trying to create a market. I also dumped the NRA after a legal battle they said I was on the right side of and did nothing but give me a good luck to you. The NRA only cares about corporations such as S&W or Colt, not the individual except as far as it goes to purchasing guns to keep the corporations going. My money will go elsewhere.

The 45GAP is used by a lot of Police departments in the country. The main reason : Small G19 frame, big 45cal performance.

It's got the recoil of a +P+ 9mm, and actually has slightly higher pressure than 45acp. With 230gr ammo it's the same performance out of a small framed gun. With 185/200gr it is minimally hotter. For some odd reason it is also a sickly accurate round/gun combo. I've had one for almost 2 years, and can not find a gun I can point and shoot more accurately. ( and I've been looking). I sold my G 21SF after shooting my buddies G38 and replaced it with the G38 right away.

Ammo is the same cost (actually cheaper here in CT and on-line at some places) than 45ACP. Availability is the exact same , which is scarce nowadays.

And no. If you buy your ammo at wally-world, you won't find it. :ded:

Edited by mrnuke7571
  • 4 weeks later...
The .45 GAP was a Glock solution to the Glocks feels like a brick problem. The problem was the Glock 21 felt more like 4x8 then the usual 2x4 feel of a Glock frame. They hoped by making a proprietary, hard to find and expensive round they could corner the .45 ACP caliber market. It was a dismal failure on their part. The XD and other capitalized on Glock's failure to keep up with state of the art ergonomics and the rest is history. The XD is the rest of the world's solution to the Glocks feel like a brick problem. Buy the XD, you will thank yourself later. Friends do not let friends buy Glocks. XD it's better then a Block (read Glock).

I keep hearing about this "Glocks feel like a brick problem".. but I've never experienced it. I think that some of you have pathetic, tiny little hands. :D

My Glock 30 SF is no "brick".. if anything, the grip is too small.

As for the Glock GAP round.. I never even considered it. Imo, the .45 ACP round is the most effective self-defense pistol round. XD's are cool, but I prefer my Glock.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I love my XD 45 Gap. Same performance is ACP, yet the firearm is smaller. Recoil is not bad either.

The ammo, it is less avail at local stores, however if you go online on Natchezss.com or the likes, you can find it in stock and for less. Natchezss has it for $22 a box, Try finding 45acp for anywhere near that right now.

Other option, is it is an excuse to reload. 45 GAP reloading is the same dies as 45 ACP. Only difference is the brass, obviously, and 45 GAP uses small pistol primers instead of the large ones in ACP. So once you have the brass, in theory to reload GAP would be cheaper.