Replacement Stocks

OK, so I've taken the plunge: I ordered my Saiga .308 "project gun" today. I plan an replacing the required number of parts, moving the trigger, and adding a wooden thumbhole stock something like the Romak3's. Two questions:

1) Where can I buy a stock like I'm looking for?

2) What are the ins and outs of mounting it? (tang and trunion issues, etc.)

thanks in advance,

Larry

Not sure of the thunbhole stock.Im waiting on Firefly Arms to finish my 308 conversion.Im going with a ACE Fal grip and the buttstock in the pic.Its the 22" barrel model so im going to add a 5"muzzle break,add a long range scope and it will be a sniper type rifle with the look of a Fal and a dragunov.Pic will come when im done.

post-6-1102651651.jpg

The stock pictured is actually a RPK (warsaw pact version of a SAW squad automatic weapon) As for the thumbhole stocks, you MAY be able to locate the blonde wood rommies by calling AAOK @ (435) 864-4402 8 - 4 MST (Orders recorded 24 hrs. per day ) He has a few odds & ends laying around, you could get lucky Check out SARCO or Numrich arms as well.

You would probibly do quite well with a Choate stock, very solid very comfortable

ATIs is OK as well

As for mounting any of the mentioned stocks, slide them on (may require alittle elbow grease) screw in place Blast away!

Edited by screaming eagle

I'm told that the "real" Romak stocks are a little short for US shooters. I was sort of hoping that someone out there knew about wood US-made stock in that style.

Larry

PS: I gues I could always get one and try it . . . but them I would be one compliance part short :D

Here's a list of Thumbhole stocks to get you started. Most are foreign made so you'd need another US part. some of these look the same but there are subtle differences.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/featureproduct.a...0&Super=N&MC=YJ

May not work, can't tell if it's for stamped or milled reciver.

http://www.buymilsurp.com/store/cart.php?cat=AK+Rifle Way at the bottom

Edited by SaigaShooter

Hello All,

I'm new to this site, I can usually be found on Gunboards. That said, I really have liked what i've seen here.

J&G Sales has a special running now, AK thumbhole stocks(they say for NHM 90,91), $9.95ea. or 10 at $0.89ea. You'll find this on they're close-outs at WWW.jgsales.com. Length is 10" from receiver to buttplate, which is included. No sling mount, nor has it been cut for one.

I bought 10 and used one for a Saiga/POSP project.

"An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile - hoping that it will eat him last"

Winston Churchill

Yes, only one Saiga(308) and one SAR1. But a boat load of Russian/Soviet-Bloc/Finnish weapons.

When I ordered my Saiga I also ordered a POSP 8X42 scope w/1000m reticle. When I mated the two, I discovered that the stock was almost 3" longer than an AK. I set out to resolve the uncomfortable eye-relief problem, short of doing a full AK style conversion($$$) or selling what I had and going to a Weaver style scope/base.

No, I didn't have to move the trigger, but I didn't just bolt on a new stock. I took one of the thumbhole stocks, cut off the complete grip area and fashioned a palm swell/grip area from the additional wood that a straight stock didn't provide.

This gave me a stock that was 1 3/4" shorter than the original Saiga, while being a little more "American sized" at 1" longer than my Romanian AK. I'm just finishing it up now with a textured finish for the buttstock and forestock.

When I figure out how too, i'll post some photos.

Oh yea, almost forgot...LESchwartz mentioned the trigger swinging up and back. I think that was an intentional design attribute. With a standard AK/pistol grip you would want the movement straight back. When firing while gripping the wrist of the stock you would need it to swing upward also for smoother operation.

Edited by Kevsky
Here's a list of Thumbhole stocks to get you started. Most are foreign made so you'd need another US part. some of these look the same but there are subtle differences.

<snip>

Thanks! I ordered up one of the ones from e-gunparts. Looks like I'll be ordering up a gas piston . . .

Larry

J&G Sales has a special running now, AK thumbhole stocks(they say for NHM 90,91), $9.95ea. or 10 at $0.89ea. You'll find this on they're close-outs at WWW.jgsales.com. Length is 10" from receiver to buttplate, which is included. No sling mount, nor has it been cut for one.

I ordered up ten of these as well . . .

LESchwartz mentioned the trigger swinging up and back. I think that was an intentional design attribute. With a standard AK/pistol grip you would want the movement straight back. When firing while gripping the wrist of the stock you would need it to swing upward also for smoother operation.

I'm not so sure . . .

My other monte carlo stocked rifles don't pull that way (even the com-bloc ones like the SKS). I don't own one, but I'm told the Saiga .223's and 7.62x39's have some sort of linkage that allows the trigger to pull straight back. It seems kinda odd that the .308 is the only one that has the "weird trigger".

Larry

I ordered up ten of these as well . . .

Generally speaking, there couldn't be too much demand for thumbhole stocks. In my case it was just what the doctor ordered! For twenty something dollars, for ten, you can't go too far wrong.

On another forum we discussed what to use them for. A lamp base was about the best idea. I've thought about maybe thumbhole stocked TV remotes, problem is, I have so many remotes i'd need a short little rifle rack to keep them in :smoke:

Acually I think I just need more Saiga projects!

hmm,i want to fit a thumbhole stock to my saiga 308 as well.does anyone know if this thumhole stock here http://www.buymilsurp.com/store/images/FPK...NFINISHED_S.JPG

will fit the saiga?if not how would i make it fit. seems cheap enough,i'd rather get it instead of spending 50$ on the fiber force one.

That actually is the stock I ordered today.

As far as I know, no it wil not fit without doing the trigger conversion.

I believe that is a Romanian Romak II butt stock.

hmm,i want to fit a thumbhole stock to my saiga 308 as well.does anyone know if this thumhole stock here http://www.buymilsurp.com/store/images/FPK...NFINISHED_S.JPG

will fit the saiga?if not how would i make it fit. seems cheap enough,i'd rather get it instead of spending 50$ on the fiber force one.

That actually is the stock I ordered today.

As far as I know, no it wil not fit without doing the trigger conversion.

I believe that is a Romanian Romak II butt stock.

Let us all know if it mates up to the Saiga reciever and tang . . .

Larry