.410 and 45LC

been thinking....since a Taurus Judge can fire either .410 shotshells or .45 LC...can a saiga .410 do the same with a little modification to the magazine?

The taurus's barrel is designed to except the larger .45 bullet (.451). I would dought it would be advisable to "slug" a .451 through a barrel designed as a .410.

However I have been thinking as well...... :) My research has revealed to me that the .444 marlin brass pretty well matches up demination wise to the 2.5" .410 shot shell. It is just a little shorter than the 2.25" "folded" size of the 2.5" .410. From my memory, the .444 it is around 2.12" or so.

However I would NOT try to run any .444 marlins through it, but what about using the the .444 marlin brass as reloadable .410 shot shells? In a 2.5" mag of course.

Just thinking........

Tony Rumore at Tromix was going to start doing .444 conversions for teh .410 Saigas,b ut he has since abandoned it since the Surefire Mags won't feed .44 at the right angle. If you want to have one built, I would bet that Tony will pass the info on to another reputable builder like E-Tac or Red Stick. I would not try it at home, though. Just stick to factory mags and you will be good.

I can see the benefit of the judge shooting both rounds.. maybe... since it has a short barrel, but without rifling, would it be very accurate? Don't know.. Just asking.

I think the Taurus Judge has a rifled barrel. It is not optimal for firing shot, but the gun is meant for close range use.

There is nothing wrong with the accuracy of The Judge. It's true that it sprays birdshot all over the map, and 000 buckshot at 20' is 3 pellets in about an 18" pattern. The closer you get, the tighter the pattern. Slugs and .45 bullets are plenty accurate. I've been shooting at full size body targets at 20'. The 9 ring is an oval about 3 1/2" across and 6" tall. The 8 ring is still in RED, and the center of body mass rings in BLACK are out to the 6 ring. I can easily hit the nine ring or the inner head ring five out of five shots, single or double action at about 3 second intervals. And I'm an old bastard. It's all about paying attention and treating each shot as a separate event

There is nothing wrong with the accuracy of The Judge. It's true that it sprays birdshot all over the map, and 000 buckshot at 20' is 3 pellets in about an 18" pattern. The closer you get, the tighter the pattern. Slugs and .45 bullets are plenty accurate. I've been shooting at full size body targets at 20'. The 9 ring is an oval about 3 1/2" across and 6" tall. The 8 ring is still in RED, and the center of body mass rings in BLACK are out to the 6 ring. I can easily hit the nine ring or the inner head ring five out of five shots, single or double action at about 3 second intervals. And I'm an old bastard. It's all about paying attention and treating each shot as a separate event

+1

A target pistol does not The Judge make. However, at "Social Pistol Range" it performs fine. Would it be my first choice for a self defense piece? No, especially not with bird or even buckshot. With 45LC, it would do the job OK and I tell ya, with birdshot, it is just the cats ass for killin snakes in the chicken house.

the judge is a perfect snake gun. im not attempting to make it a DMP (designated marksman pistol). i was curious of how the judge is able to fire both. i havent gotten my hands on 1 yet, but im on the list. wanted to make a saiga into a carbine/pistol caliber. thought itd be fun. and yes i want to do it myself. my coworker is wanting to make one into .243 for deer, we have small deer in FL. and im restoring a tommygun to give my dad at christmas, and thought a saiga firing .45 would be fun and interesting. wonder what all id have to shorten and things like that.....

• 2 weeks later...

If the Judge didn't have rifling, it would be a short barreled shotgun.

I have one of those cheap double barrel 45/410s from Cobray, and they have about 1/2" of rifling at the end of the barrel.

Convert your Saiga to shoot a 45LC and I am pretty sure you have an illegal weapon without doing the paperwork, unless you have some rifling in the barrel.

As for the differences, my Snake Charmer will not accept a 45 LC cartridge into the chamber, its just too small.

They must enlarge the chamber enough to accept the 45 shell on the weapons that do so.

Edited by frick
If the Judge didn't have rifling, it would be a short barreled shotgun.

I have one of those cheap double barrel 45/410s from Cobray, and they have about 1/2" of rifling at the end of the barrel.

Convert your Saiga to shoot a 45LC and I am pretty sure you have an illegal weapon without doing the paperwork, unless you have some rifling in the barrel.

As for the differences, my Snake Charmer will not accept a 45 LC cartridge into the chamber, its just too small.

They must enlarge the chamber enough to accept the 45 shell on the weapons that do so.

id wind up doing what i tromix did....new barrel. already got a contact for barrels. just got to get time to play and do my own r&d once i get the .410. id prob try to make it shoot 45 acp since its cheaper, more plentiful and same caliber as my 1911s. doing my dads tommygun and its making me want a carbine. tommys look cool...but a pain in the ass to clean thoroughly.

its just in the brainstorm and drawing phase.....