Jury Duty Scam DO NOT DELETE WITHOUT READING !

This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a jury summons in the mail, the scammer will ask you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma , Illinois , and Colorado . This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

And here: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Just don't ever give out personal info unless you know who you're talking to. I got an email that looked like official bank email. Things just didn't look right. Copyright year was wrong. Didn't ask for the 'sitekey' like it usually does. I went to my account and logged in and sent an email to them. It was bogus, as I had figured but I didn't give them any personal info so I was safe. If it sounds bogus, it probably is. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the heads up, man.

I had a scare when I was about 21. I had some "lawyer" calling me constantly, telling me that I owed a California bank some money (he told me that I opened an account, got a credit card, maxed it out, and now owed the bank $1,900). I talked with a few different people in his "office", and no one had a first name. It was Mr. so-and-so, Mrs. so-and-so. It was weird. But I finally got fed up and said "Unless a police officer or someone with a badge knocks on my door, I'm done with this", and he never called back.

But this guy knew everything about me. He knew my SS#, whole immediate family's names, addresses.

Kinda scary, but I knew it was bullshit. I've never even been to Cali, let alone lived there, like he said.

I *LOVE* when I get emails from some bank I was never a part of as,ing me to log in and verify my account info...

I *ALWAYS* log on... and start to verify my account info...

Joe Schmoe

1234 main st. someplace, ( pick a state) 12345

login: fuckoff or fuckyou

Password: fucktard or suckass ( or something equally tasteful and classy)

email: pissoff@gofuckyou.com etc...

and you can imagine the fun I have trying to make up credit card numbers. LOL :up:

Always good to pass 5 or ten minutes of giggles... :lol:

:smoke:

I worry about some of you folks.

This is a very old news item (yes, it was on the TV news at the time and in the papers).

I *LOVE* when I get emails from some bank I was never a part of as,ing me to log in and verify my account info...

I *ALWAYS* log on... and start to verify my account info...

Joe Schmoe

1234 main st. someplace, ( pick a state) 12345

login: fuckoff or fuckyou

Password: fucktard or suckass ( or something equally tasteful and classy)

email: pissoff@gofuckyou.com etc...

and you can imagine the fun I have trying to make up credit card numbers. LOL :up:

Always good to pass 5 or ten minutes of giggles... :lol:

:smoke:

Im pretty sure he was talking about you Indy ;)

Thanks for the heads up Cobra.

I worry about some of you folks.

This is a very old news item (yes, it was on the TV news at the time and in the papers).

I worry about you too nalioth. You just seem to enjoy being a frick'n prick a little too much...

If you knew that already then why did you go out of your way to PM me immediately after I first posted it, and tell me my FBI link was broken. Then after I replied with a 'thanks' and said I was taking it back down, you PMed me again saying "no put it back, the link just has an extra space...".

:rolleyes:

ya...the jokes on me haha...guess I should spend more time watching tv and surfing the web, instead of helping folks (without being a smartass)

Regardless of the timing, it's a good reminder of the types of tactics the predators out there continually try to employ, and that you should never give information out to anyone unless you are 101% sure of who they are and why they need the information. And when it comes to unsolicited calls, they should have that information already or have other means to verify who you are, rather than you providing sensitive information.

The tactics change almost daily, but the moral doesn't - Get a call back number you can easily verify, otherwise, tell 'em to go pack sand!

I would get it all the time in NY, all year, GOB...

The police benevolent society DOES NOT use the phone lines, and WILL NOT COLD CALL YOU. I was hung up on numerous times. Such fond memories of screwing with these people were - What happened to the injured officers pension or death benefits that are QUITE enough, never mind private department help - yes, send an officer by the house right now, and I will donate 200$ cash - do you have a mailing address i can send a bank check to? who do i fill it out to, and what is the name this is listed under so I can look it up, thanks - protection? i dont need ANY protection? who the fuck is this?

then there is the classic - please remove me from your list, ramada inn suite 419, before I have someone track the line you are looped into the suite from....