Heh, well guys, i don't know shit about knives other then they cut, well, most of them cut :unsure: anyways, whats the best bang for your buck? and whats the big difference between knife makers like CRKT and Benchmade or Emerson or SOG. well besides the large price difference, and auto or assist blade? Help school my noob ass on the best pocket carry knife you can have, and its legal for me to have an auto...

Heh, well guys, i don't know shit about knives other then they cut, well, most of them cut :unsure: anyways, whats the best bang for your buck? and whats the big difference between knife makers like CRKT and Benchmade or Emerson or SOG. well besides the large price difference, and auto or assist blade? Help school my noob ass on the best pocket carry knife you can have, and its legal for me to have an auto...

Well bro...you just asked ALOT of questions. Honestly(this is coming from a cusotm Knifemaker...me), the best B for your B is gonna be something like an Emerson. Spyderco makes some decent knives too, the real question is what are u gonna use it for?? Is it gonna be an EDC?? Etc.

The main Diff between knife co. out there is the steel they use and the QC they maintain. Theres a GOOD reason why so many guys come to custom knife makers. Mostly becuz they KNOW for a FACT thsat we're using exactly the mnaaterials we say we are, and that every knife is hand made and hand ground. After 30+ years of collecting knives and about 6 yrs of collecting custom knives and 3.5 yrs of making knives, I learned one thing.........ALWAYS go custom. BUT if $$ is minimal and you want a decent carry/EDC/ throw awayu if you have to knife...Emerson is a good choice IMHO. Heres a scenario, if you can afford a Tromix Saiga12, then would you buy one?? I would. But if all you can afford at this point is the stock S12, it works just fine and it will get the job done. Ya dig??

Tell me what youre gonna use it for, then I'll give you some recs on some types of knives you can get. And if you wanna go custom I can help you with that too.

I would recommend a Gerber Applegate Folder... Either the full size or the covert, depending on how big you like your EDC knife... The full size ( 4.25" blade) and 3/4 sized ones ( 3.2" blade) have a secondary lock on them, are extremely rugged, and just plain SEXY... Maybe not as sexy as a Microtech Nemesis... ( Of which I used to own one, and sold it to fund a PSL... I STILL have my Applegate... LOL ) There is also a mini version, but I think that one is just a little bit too small...

This one... The all black model is the one I have... I recommend it highly! The action is so smooth... I can flick it open as fast or faster than an auto with NO problem! They lock up tighter than a nuns snapper, and hold a wicked edge...

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,GER-05...PPC-_-GER-05786

* 3/4 version of the Combat Folder

* Reversible stainless steel pocket clip

* One-handed opening

* Interlock locking system to prevent blade from accidentally unlocking

* Contour-molded G-10 nylon handle

* Stainless steel inner frame for added strength

* Lanyard hole

* Precision adjustable pivot pins and fasteners

* Premium 154 CM blade material

There is also a mini covert...

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Applega...overt-46924.htm

* Overall Length: 6.63''

* Length Closed: 3.62''

* Length of Blade: 2.94''

* Weight: 2.2 oz.

* Lock Mechanism: Liner Lock

* Blade Style: Serrated edge

* Blade Material: 154CM Stainless steel

* Handle Material: Fiberglass filled nylon

Do a google search for "Gerber Applegate" and you will see the HUGE price differences... anywhere from 80 - 160 bucks! LOL so it will pay to shop around... like anything else... :up:

:smoke:

I sell a lot of CRKT (especially the M16) to guys who work with blades every day. They hold a good edge, are thin in the pocket, and you don't feel bad if you tear one up or lose it. Great value for the money, solid performers all around.

Personally speaking: My duty knife (knives?) are a Benchmade D2 AFCK and a SOG 2.0 EOD multitool (for which I finally retired my favorite EOD Leatherman Supertool). I like the Reeve Sebenza off duty, although I find myself carrying my other D2 AFCK more and more so I don't have to remember to hit the thumb stud over the Spyderhole. ;) Dress knives are usually the big Spyderco Calypso or vintage black (engraved) Police models. Yes, all discontinued, sorry...

When I was shooting now and then with SEAL team 1 years ago, I was amused to note that most of those guys were wearing GShock watches and carrying Chinese rip-off knives from the dollar bin. I asked why they didn't go Rolex and Randall, like back in the day, or Tag and Emerson like, well, now. They laughed, and most told me that they had the cool watches and the hot knives, but never carried them because "...if ya drop a Emerson over the side, you are sort of obligated to go in after it. If ya drop a cheap-ass knife, oh well..."

Alex

I'm very partial to my folding Kabar Warthog clip point. Fits well in my hand, big wide blade, and can take a pounding. I've had expensive knives before and what I found out was that I was too hesitant to put them to real use.

Kind of like those Hummer H3s you see on the road...you know they're never going to see real time in the mud and dirt.

Well, my Warthog has seen a LOT of time in the mud and dirt and I don't worry about it.

a few guys use microtech autos at work, but with the production stop, that just raises the already steep price stag on them :(

Yeah! I couldn't believe how much they were running for a while. They just posted on their front page yesterday that their knife production has restarted and will be back to 100% soon. On their front page, they show a rescue version of the Troodon that looks cool for emt/rescue work.

When I was shooting now and then with SEAL team 1 years ago, I was amused to note that most of those guys were wearing GShock watches and carrying Chinese rip-off knives from the dollar bin. I asked why they didn't go Rolex and Randall, like back in the day, or Tag and Emerson like, well, now. They laughed, and most told me that they had the cool watches and the hot knives, but never carried them because "...if ya drop a Emerson over the side, you are sort of obligated to go in after it. If ya drop a cheap-ass knife, oh well..."

Alex

there is a lot more truth to it than you imagine to it besides would you sharpen a micro tech or spiderco on the concrete of a dock or piling :cryss:

good points guys, thanks for the help and info, i may get a pricey knife for personal use, but at work i'll think i'll go average to cheap cause it will get fucked up pretty bad, i also noticed my buddy's auto benchmade was made in china....

I like my Kershaw Junk Yard Dog II. Really sharp and seems to hold an edge well. Only paid ~$35 online. Knives are like sunglasses for me. If I buy a $100+ pair of sunglasses I'll lose them within a week. I still have $10 gas station sunglasses from 10 years ago. I also like the Kabar knives. Mine haven't kept a great edge, or even came with a great edge, but at $10 a knife you can buy a few and just throw them away. Haven't tried sharpening them, though.

They laughed, and most told me that they had the cool watches and the hot knives, but never carried them because "...if ya drop a Emerson over the side, you are sort of obligated to go in after it. If ya drop a cheap-ass knife, oh well..."

There is a reason I raid the $3 bin knives at the flea market....ponied up and got an assisted opening one for a whopping sum of.....$18

I also carry a $10 winchester "leatherman"

They arn't great tools...but I'm not afraid to use and abuse them either