Shorter Buttstock for POSP Scope Use

When I ordered my .308 Saiga, I also ordered an 8x42 POSP scope. When I got them I realized that the Saiga stock is about 2 3/4" longer than the AK that the scope/mount was designed for. I needed to find a solution other than streching my neck several inches or the cost and effort of an AK stock conversion. The best solution to my posts about this was to use a commercial scope and weaver style mount.

Here is what I came up with. J&G Sales has otherwise useless Chinese thumbhole buttstocks on sale for $0.89 each if you buy 10 or more, otherwise $9.95 each. After working up a couple of templates, cutting, rasping, filing and sanding, here is the result.

This stock is about 1 3/4" shorter than the Saiga and 1" longer than my SAR-1. To me a perfect "American Sized" stock. I refinished the forearm and the new buttstock with a textured "spatter"/satin polyurethane clearcoat and added QD sling mounts.

Nothing fancy, what do you think?

post-8-1105735616.jpg

Edited by Kevsky

I guess I ought to respond in order:

BVAMP-I checked before posting, J&G still has these on close-out.

Napoleon-From AZ(JG) to CO was $23 with shipping for 10.

Lollygagger- Thanks I appreciate that!

Doerdie & Bvamp-I had to match fore-end to buttstock so paint in some form was in order. Besides, especially when wet, the textured finish beats the hell out of slick plastic. The finish probably, with some imagination, could be pretty wild or more drab. See April 1999 Rifle Shooter magazine for details. As far as shipping one of my extras, while they're still on sale, it would probably make more sense to buy a lot of ten from J&G than to pay shipping on just one or two.

Gunslinger-6'0"

OK, I think that covers it so far. If needed, maybe I could give some details from the magazine article about the finish.

Come on now Doerdie, soon as that box comes, squirrel it away. When she asks about it, tell her how the one stock cost some $23, not a bad deal! Save the revalation that you actually got 10 for that price for when you really need to save your butt!!!

But darling, I saved so much on those other.....that......

Good Luck

Edited by Kevsky

I paid $120 for the scope from GUNSnStuff (akaFAC), you can find them in SGN or just add .net to the name. But a heads-up, they weren't the easiest people to work with!

Hey, give the stock project a try. I spent 30 years as an auto tech, not in a wood shop! If I can do it :smoke: anyone can. It was alittle over 20 bucks to get 10 of them to the door. I pulled the only really ugly one out first, it had filler putty on it, figuring i'd screw it up first, that's the one in the photo!

Doerdie, Yea I'll split 10 with you, unless Kevsky wants to unload a couple for $5.00 + shipping?

I wouldn't mind doing 2 for $5+shipping, but the shipping is a P.I.T.A. Besides, after shipping you'll probably still be paying $12 to $15.

If J&G Sales still has them and they probably do, not a very popular item, it's not much more to buy 10. I paid $22 and change delivered. Screw-up one and you have more, want to do another project, you have raw material.

If you want to do 2/$5+sh. i'm game, I just think 10/$9+sh. makes more sense for you. :dollar:

BTW, IndyArms mentioned that "it looks like something you'd pay $40 for". Boy, if I could have had the stock done, without the finish, for $40 i'd have jumped on it!

I invested alot of time in it so I have something that I can take pride in. That said, you're working with a low quality piece to begin with. The original cut, where the block goes into the receiver is not perfectly square and the spacing of the receiver/tang screws are not exactly the same as the Saiga, but these items are not too noticable when finished. The buttplate also must be trimmed to size and refinished. All said and done, I like the finished results and if/when I do another, it will no doubt be a big improvement over this one :smoke:

Edited by Kevsky
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys have inspired me!!!

I just came back from a gunshow, where I latched on to some Romanian AK "dragunov" laminated stocks that were on a table for $3 a pop...

DragunovAKstock-2.jpg

Now, I just have to figger out what I'm going to do with them.

God! I love cheap -it seems like a deal even when you can't think of WHY.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Hey Lollygagger...

Just to note... those stocks, although LOOK fabulous on a Saiga... make it kinda unweildy to shoot... speaking from experience.. If you got some cut and tweak plans... let me know... I have two of those stocks, as well... and would LOVE to mount them on something.... I always liked how they look... just dont like how BIG the grips are... hard to actually REACH the trigger... keep me posted, if you do any woodworking on them, PLEASE! I will be much interested to hear what you come up with on those!

:smoke:

Hey Lollygagger...

Just to note... those stocks, although LOOK fabulous on a Saiga... make it kinda unweildy to shoot...  speaking from experience..  If you got some cut and tweak plans... let me know... I have two of those stocks, as well... and would LOVE to mount them on something.... I always liked how they look... just dont like how BIG the grips are... hard to actually REACH the trigger... keep me posted, if you do any woodworking on them, PLEASE!  I will be much interested to hear what you come up with on those!

:smoke:

Yeah, I noticed that when they were first imported on the Romanians...

Looked great, but felt terrible. The pistol grip is obviously too far back from the trigger and is shaped wrong to boot!

I think (on one) I'll ADD WOOD at the front of the pistol grip -and REMOVE WOOD at it's back. Why not?

Jus' a idea.

Edited by lollygagger
  • 2 weeks later...
What kind of finish is that?

vit

Sorry, it's been a while since I could get back here. I was saying that i'd like to post just how to do this, not hard. Came from a 1999 magazine.

Basically, a base coat(grey), then a light coat of grey w/white spatter auto trunk paint, covered with a clear polyurethane varnish. Remember, light coats and a lot of drying time between coats.

The original idea was for synthetic stocks. To get rid of that slick, slippery when wet feel, for hunting rifles. Hey, works on wood too. You wind up with a pebbly, almost rough finish that acually feels great.

Edited by Kevsky
You guys have inspired me!!!

I just came back from a gunshow, where I latched on to some Romanian AK "dragunov" laminated stocks that were on a table for $3 a pop...

DragunovAKstock-2.jpg

Now, I just have to figger out what I'm going to do with them.

God! I love cheap -it seems like a deal even when you can't think of WHY.

Take one of these same cheap Chinese stocks and skeletonize it. Then you wouldn't have that huge/awkward grip.