When out with today, with saiga

Hi guys

Have shot today about 30rds with the saiga 12 ga.

1 Had the gas set on 1, for heavy loads. Using full 2 3/4 loads.

2 Had used a recoil buffer. Just some rubber from home.

Finally came to the conclusion, that for 2 3/4 loads or smaller always use the lite load settings ( 2 ) gas

In the future only 3 inch magnum loads will use the ( 1 ) settings.

2 The recoil buffer size, can not be to thick. So I'm thinking of not using one at all.

The main objective for me is that the saiga 12ga cycles every time.

Stu

Edited by Stuart2

Hey, Stu...

It can take a couple of hundred rds for the Saiga to wear-in fully to where it's completely reliable w/light loads (a good cleaning before shooting it for the first time is a big help as well). My first Saiga-12 is now 100% reliable w/light loads on '2' (has always been 100% reliable w/2-3/4 slug & buck on '1') after a couple of hundred rds. My 2nd Saiga-12 is 100% reliable w/heavy loads on '1' but isn't fully reliable w/light loads on '2' yet (but reliability is improving significantly each time I shoot it). And this is after having the bbl's cut to 18.5" & the gas ports opened to help compensate. I use the green BlackJack buffer in mine.

Exactly which 2-3/4 loads were you using?...

Tomac

I use the Saiga on 2, for all defensive applications, and so far its fine with everything I feed it even without opening up the gas ports ( I have a n 18" barrel).

The only time you really need setting 1 is to prevent damage to the gun shooting magnums. As for a recoil buffer, only the thinnest, hardest one will allow the Saiga to cycle, but it will protect the receiver if you should shoot magnums.

If you're going to use the Saiga to fight, better safe than sorry, I'd say. Still, I do throw on setting 1 sometimes to do malfunction drills.

(BTW, clearing Saiga jams isn't very easy).

Tomac - Just curious, how big did you open up each hole; what drill bit size did you use? And did you drill all 3?

Elite Firearms did my conversions, they opened all 3 holes but I don't know the exact amount. I figure it's a fairly small amount since a break-in period is needed to eventually cycle reliably w/light loads (ie: open 'em a lot and you get instant light-load reliability but also the potential for more receiver wear/battering from the excessive gas of heavy loads).

Tomac

I picked up my new 12 yesterday and put around 100 rounds through it today before I ran out. One of the other guys at the range wanted to try it. He shot probably 300 through it. He kept coming back with more and more shells. He had two comments were "you need more mags" and "this is a hell of a fun gun".

Hi lithium

Yes you are correct. About the gas settings.

1 = magnum

2 = lite loads

About shooting 300 rds in one day, with a plastic butt plate. Would not your shoulder be damaged?

I have never seen a shotgun that has come with a plastic butt plate. Only Saiga it seems?.

Stu

As for a recoil buffer, only the thinnest, hardest one will allow the Saiga to cycle, but it will protect the receiver if you should shoot magnums.

Well, this seems a little disappointing. I just ordered the green(softer) buffer. I plan on using 3" and for the most part, only 3" magnum shells. Is the softer(green) buffer going to work any worse than the black(hard) one?

I asked and someone in here told me to get a green buffer, so I ordered the green one... Did I make a boo boo?

Hi guys

I was using a soft rubber recoil pad & will not use this again. I may try a harder & thinner type recoil buffer later on.

1 Question: why would you use 3 inch magnums? for what reason

2 Whats the cost of a recoil buffer? why not just buy some hard rubber?

Stu

The material needs to have the proper qualities to return enough energy to cycle the action. If a buffer is working properly it works more like a coil spring-absorbing and redirecting most of the energy, not like an air bag that dissipates the energy. We need enough of that energy to cycle the action.

G O B

Hi lithium

Yes you are correct. About the gas settings.

1 = magnum

2 = lite loads

About shooting 300 rds in one day, with a plastic butt plate. Would not your shoulder be damaged?

I have never seen a shotgun that has come with a plastic butt plate. Only Saiga it seems?.

Stu

I have Romanian AK folding stocks on my Saiga-12s (metal all the way) and it takes appx 30 rds of buck/slug before I begin to feel it. The Saiga's semi-auto action really helps to dampen perceived recoil.

Tomac

In my case, most of the rounds were light skeet loads or bird shot #7.5s. I did shot some slugs and buck, but not much. In regards to shooting 300 rounds in one session. It was about 13 degrees out when we went shooting and we were all dressed pretty heavily. Recoil wasn't a problem though my shoulder is a bit stiff today.

I use 3" mags because I have little use for the 2.75" shells... the magnums I like for deer and turkey hunting. Plus, more power, means more smiles, and more blood. So, is the green buffer alright for these reasons, or should I have ordered the black one?

blackjackbuffers.com says the black one is for full auto and bump shooting. So, I ordered the green one... was it the right decision?

Stuart2:

on my regular 4th of july shoots, I will fire some 3" slugs down my shotguns, and it is often mistaken for firework mortars by neighbors.

3" birdshot loads are for waterfoul hunting, mostly. 3" buck and slug loads are used on large game animals.

Hi Guys

When I will try the saiga 12ga again, I will give it a go with the gas set on 1 magnum loads & see if it will cycle. This is with another type of recoil buffer. 2 3/4 loads

The saiga 12 ga that I use is an 19 inch barrel. So I may have to use the 2 settings? to cycle 100%

We will see.

I guess that the saiga will last longer with it set to 1 magnum.

Stu

Stuart2, my Saiga is the 19" model too (with interchangable chokes) and it has never had a problem with any load on setting #1. I also use a green (softer) Blackjack recoil buffer if that affects it at all. How many rounds do you have through it? Maybe it needs some more breaking in?