I can just imagine what the good Shire Reeve (old English Sheriff) will say when he reads your letter. However, my suggestion is to totally eliminate the second and third sentences which talk of the 'danger' and 'malfunctions'. No need to implant any ideas, or give him visions of youtube videos where some idiot sprays the area with bullets. If you say there's a bare minimum of danger, you're admitting there is a danger.

This next observation, don't get offended. It is merely a suggestion. As for your military experience, yes that's great as it shows the training, experience, qualifications, maturity, etc., etc. Maybe you should put all that (along with the mention of the recommendations, appreciations, etc.) into one paragraph and then not mention your service again. The only reason I say that is simply that your being a military member does not qualify you to have the MG. I know people who would say, "I don't give a damn if you are a _________!" (Marine, cop, Republican, pink elephant, etc.).

Anyway, good luck with all that.

I agree with the above post of even mentioning of a possible malfunction of the weapon. I guess he feels like he will be the one responsible for you owning that weapon in his jursidiction and not the ATF which feels you are competent enough to own. Good luck to you and hope he has a change of mind of you owning it.

Some worthwhile observations have been offered so far. :up:

Brief and to the point is always #1

Consider....the more you add, the more someone has to debate/argue with, be diverted from the main issue, or take offense to.

Look at this as a negotiation not a confrontation.

Reading some various books, etc on sucessful negotiation tactics might give you a little insight on some good strategies for approaching this process.

Always try to throw out compliments/positives initially so as not to put him on the defensive.

Perhaps thank him for the earlier weapons permit, or note something positive he has done personally or in his official position that you agree with, etc. - this helps him identify with you as a like minded person, or feel that he knows you better, or triggers reason for him to change his mind.

Remember, psychologically once someone states a position you then have to find someway to give that person an "out", a way to change their mind, ie, to save face (so to speak) This is where my idea of reading up on successful negotiating tactics can help. [if not now, possibly in future occasions]

Along those lines, perhaps do a little background research on this guy. Find out if anyone in the area has ever recieved an OK for this type permit, what are his pet peeves, etc.

Do NOT make it something that will get back to him as a withchunt or character assassination attempt by you.

Finally, I never send something like this right away. I cool off sufficiently first ...or try to :angel:

I never send the first draft. I never send the 2nd or 3rd draft either. It usually take me many drafts to get all my frustration, anger, "hidden" aggression and sarcasm out of the letter

But then I can be pretty sarcastic B)

Getting feedback here looks like you are trying to approach this in a professional manner Good luck

Cheers, HarvKY

P.S., I didnt see a response about the question of having another law enforcement officer you could approach? Personally, I have the local city police chief and a county sheriff.

Way too long. He will never read it all. I would make every effort to honor his "suggestion" that you get published. Sheriff's have an enormous amount of power, while in office, they get used to telling people, "no."

Your letter, while heart felt, fails to address what he said he felt was a valid exception. I would make a serious attempt to do that, if only here, before making my submission. I would also check around and see if he as ever acquiesced with anyone else before. If not, he may just be jerking you around instead of saying no.

Good Luck!

Are the Sheriffs out there in NC elected or appointed?

I contacted our local elected sheriff about signing off on an ATF Form One and received only total cooperation with any citizen who has a clean background, as exemplified by holding a CHL and no criminal record.

Good Luck and DON'T QUIT.

With the exception of a few things that have already been mentioned by other readers, I have to say, ...Well played, Sir. Good luck, God speed and we'll all hope to hear of success with your simple appeal of fact, reason and logic. And by the way, Thank you for your service.

With the exception of a few things that have already been mentioned by other readers, I have to say, ...Well played, Sir. Good luck, God speed and we'll all hope to hear of success with your simple appeal of fact, reason and logic. And by the way, Thank you for your service.

Yep, that. Good luck trying to change the mind of a cop. :?

Y bother with a CLEO sign off?????

Even the BATFE knows CLEOS overstep their bounds.

Circumvent his butt with the tools the BATFE gave you .

Revocable trust.Use quicken will maker ....

He stated a few times in his other thread that a Trust is of no use for FA weapons.

Y bother with a CLEO sign off?????

Even the BATFE knows CLEOS overstep their bounds.

Circumvent his butt with the tools the BATFE gave you .

Revocable trust.Use quicken will maker ....

He stated a few times in his other thread that a Trust is of no use for FA weapons.

Thanks shooter!

Guess reading the ENTIRE thread is a thing of the past?? :ded: