Magazine machining progress

Well after spending some quality time with the mill at work on Saturday, here's what I have so far. It's 7075 T? aluminum from a scrap Trek mold plate we had laying around.

Hopefully tomorrow night I can rig up a floorplate for it and finish up the milling at the top to I can test fit it. I also need to sharpen a few corners (mag catch, feed lips, and front lug)

Other than that, for the first prototype it came out pretty good I think, the follower fits and shells go in :smoke: So far so good. Only took I think 2 hours of machine time to cut the main detail, then I spanked it off the plate in the Wire EDM. On the next run I can optimize my toolpaths and operations a bit more and hopefully cut the time down more yet.

If everything goes good, I"m going to order more material and try an 8 or 10 rounder.

post-2-1105961274.jpg

Awesome work man! Improvise ,Adapt , and Overcome!!! I love this forum! So wintermute76 if it works out would you be interested in producing some for other guages or calibers? There's a lot of people who wish they had a bigger mag for the .410. OK Chris410 since you are the only one I've seen who actually has the 10 rd 410 mag you know what you need to do for us. PLEASE!

I hope I don't let anyone down by saying this, but at least for the forseeable future it's just a tease. I don't have the capital to produce them. And if you figure say 2 hours even after getting it tweaked, it'd still be about $80 just for the machine time (going by our shop's rate) :ded:

Really the magazine is pretty simple compared to some I've seen.

Basically I do it just so I don't have to pay 70-90 for a plastic 8 round. Anyone use MasterCAM? I could post the geometry once I find out it works.

If all goes well and the 8/10 works, I've been knocking around the idea of a double stack, but I don't know how practical that is needing a new follower and all that.

Thanks for all the kind words :)

Nice...kinda wondering about those external ribs you put on it though, do they serve a structural or ergonomic purpose? Personally I could see them getting in the way/snagging when putting them into or taking them out of a mag puch.

Too bad you aren't out to make them and sell them, if you could simplify the time on the machine/cuts and still retain reliability/durability I would highly recommend marketing them.

Hope your prototype works out well and that you change your mind on mass producing them.

The bumps on the outer perimeter are for the 2-56 cap screws that hold it together. I suppose they could be omitted and the whole thing be welded. I needed it disassembleable in case I have to tweak anything :)

Wish I had a CNC in my garage so I could go into production :D

Hi

1 Stamping them out maybe the answer? but making up the tools involved may be 15,000 American dollars.

Each tool costs 2800 American. Alteast 4 tools would be involved. Plus the spring would have to be made.

2 Cheaper way

Making them from Alloy maybe another answer? I would not know if alloy would be strong enough? If they think it would work $500 for messuring it up. Then $$$ per thousand units.

Machining the prototype is great. But can not machine every magazine. Example making 1000 magazines would make you crazy.

I wish I was good with my hands, to be able to machine one for my self. Amazing what people can do.

The reasons that American manufactures have not made any magazines for the saiga, would always be about money. They do not believe that there is any money involved.

Stu

Edited by Stuart2

Actually I thought about having a mold possibly made. I work for a mold shop up here in Minnesota, and our sister company does rapids prototype tools and short run molding and tools. been waiting for our Lead Salesman to be around and bounce it off him as to how complex and what kind of cost would be involved.

Almost have the machined prototype finished up I forgot about the narrow part towards the front of the magwell. Should be able to try it out this weekend I hope. :killer:

Hi guys

About the double stack magazine. Lets all get magazines that are 8 - 10 rounds first, before thinking of other things.

Double stacking 12ga rounds would be a first & very complex.

I would like to go a little further, lets be able to buy 5 round mags for a start, then go to 8-10 rounds.

We can not even get 5 rds mags!!! man this is a crazy situation we are in

Stu

Edited by Stuart2
  • 2 months later...

Too bad folks couldn't throw down money, and somehow make a bulk order of these. sacrifice a 2round for donor parts in proper dimensions. $20.00 right there.

And then pay for machine time.

It is fucking sweet. After having held it, and inserting into S-12. Seems the best I've come across. And most importantly it was finished, and real.

Hats off to you D.

You still have the baddest ass custom S-12 mag known to man.

I'd pay big for one..... :super: