A school security expert says a proposal to teach children as young as 10 years old to fight back against a classroom gunman is "scary."

When last I checked, the world can be a scary place.

Better this than teaching them to hide their heads in the sand and hope the problem goes away.

No matter what they do, anything is better than teaching everyone to hide in the corner. And wait 10, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 minutes for police. There should be no question, any number of teachers and school system employees are conceal carry permit holders. First logical step would be to start putting a few armed trained people in each school. I respect the laws to not carry on school property, but criminals don't. They should offer special classes/training for people at each school to be first responders, civil defense, however you want to look at it. I worked in a school system for 6 years. Nothing ever happened, but if word ever came that gun shots at a school, if I'm there, and armed, anyone in that situation would probably try and do whatever they could to protect the children and other people in the building.

If this is a liberalized, public school idea, what, are the male students supposed to line up and give the gunman a "distractionary" blowjob while the SWAT team arrives on scene and finally deploys? :unsure:

let the teachers conceal carry and i won't need to worry about a 10 year old trying to take down a gunman. That and let college students carry on campus as well....scary to think they rather risk the life of a child or children, and not let responsible citizens carry a gun.

The controversy began when the district's school resource officer, Derek Jones, proposed the training in a memo after hearing it had been used in schools in Florida.

no, it hasn't been used in schools in FL, and likely never will. We'll get CCW in schools before we teach our children to shank a gunman with a mathbook. My friends who teach and my girlfriend who teaches has never heard of even attempts of such horrific stupidity.

Edited by Vultite

While I agree having kids do something to fight back is probably better than nothing, I don't like the idea for one reason. It gives those in charge of implementing security measures another reason to postulate that they are actually doing something substanitive. This is Security Theater pure and simple. Until they decide that maybe they don't have as much to fear from armed teachers as they do from armed wackos then I'm afraid we aren't going to be protecting kids much.

Edited by DogMan

Something much more important for the teachers and administrators to teach those kids is basic math,true history and being proud to be an American.

Not the liberal propaganda thats been taught for the last 30 years.

Of course, who is going to teach the teachers?

Edited by Sunset_Va
A school security expert says a proposal to teach children as young as 10 years old to fight back against a classroom gunman is "scary."

When last I checked, the world can be a scary place.

Better this than teaching them to hide their heads in the sand and hope the problem goes away.

Yet, guess what? This is exactly what they want them to do.

"A lot of kids come from unsafe places at home, and school is their only haven, you know, and for them to come into school and have to think about that stuff I think can be scary," parent Hope Carter told MyFOXBoston.com.

So, if they don't have to think about bad things, they'll never be confronted with bad things??? How fricking naive can one be? :rolleyes:

Liberals. :rolleyes:

I are a gradiate of the PG Co publik skools. all I can say is there will never be a massacre of unarmed children here, we were better armed, hell we all had at least a knife and zip guns were the #1 shop project. Hell if anyone were to pull a gun in one of our schools today they would have it stolen out of their hand in .5 seconds flat!