12g. Buck & Ball shells?

Ran across this in my latest Sportsmans Guide catalog. Sportsmans Guide

Anyone ever use this ammo and if so what did you think of it? Having studied the Civil War a bit I know buck and ball was used at short ranges with devastating effect. Just wondering how it performs in a modern day smoothbore like the Saiga. Couldn't be much worse recoil wise than slugs could it?

Ran across this in my latest Sportsmans Guide catalog. Sportsmans Guide

Anyone ever use this ammo and if so what did you think of it? Having studied the Civil War a bit I know buck and ball was used at short ranges with devastating effect. Just wondering how it performs in a modern day smoothbore like the Saiga. Couldn't be much worse recoil wise than slugs could it?

I've seen those before as well. I would think it'd be a decent round. However, it doesn't say the size of the smaller pellets. It saws "# " then "Pellets". However, they left out what number pellets they are. The big one is over a half-inch wide so that should pack a decent wallop. The company, Centurion, I think is new. At least a few weeks ago AIM or Centerfire (pretty sure it was AIM) introduced them as a new company with a special priced case of ammo (.223 I think). Anyways, I'm curious to see if anyone's tried them?

-Emt1581

I would like to point out, that buck and ball was the most effective loading during the Revolutionary War, outside of American long range snipers (the birth of the kentucky rifle) .

Make sure you know its legal to possess personal rounds like these first in your state and area.

This is an old idea and was also implemented by the British Militray during the "Malayan Emergency." These "Malaysian Load" 12 gauge zinc cased rounds were loaded by Fabrique Nationale of Belgium.

One of the three different loadings by FN was four lead buckshot over 28 smaller lead shot, exact sizes of shot unknown.

A second FN loading was a 59mm round with a zinc clad blue cardboard case containing nine 00 buckshot. This 49mm round has the zinc rolled crimped over the cardboard case with a big yellow wad and also contained #4 shot.

The shotguns usually employed to deliver these loads were the Remington 870 (not a damn Mossberg :P ) and the Browning A5 Auto.

I have shot the Centrion rounds out of my Saiga. They cycle reliably although the patterns were all a little different at 25 yards. They should make a good self defense round up close, probably not really better than any buckshot though. I sure would hate to take a round myself, ouch! :xmas:

Although it may deter some casual criminal types (kids) the problem with that craig, is that anyone looking in your windows now knows you have guns in the house, and will just wait till you arent home or are asleep.

You guys with these 2 3/4" buckshot loads.....

Try some 3" 15 pellet loadings out of your stick mags. They will wake ya right up, thats for sure!

If you want to try buck and ball, you can take down a 3" shell and stick a 7/8oz slug on top of 3 or 6 pellets with a shot card between em. It was a feared round for a reason, in the old days. Keep in mind that I do not recommend 6 pellets, as this gives you a payload of 1 3/8oz, which isnt recommended in saiga shotguns.

If you see the deadly "frosty" type of snowman creeping out of the woods or fields at you this winter, I suggest this round to deal with them.

Another neat little round that Ive toyed with was taking a remington domed slugger out of its shell, filling the hollow of the slug with steel BBs, and reinserting it into the shell. Again, this borders on an "overload" for a saiga shotgun, and i do NOT reccommend using lead pellets in place of the steel.

Anyhow, just some thoughts, and I wouldnt suggest ever trying something that I suggest here, or any place else for that matter! If you are unsure at ALL about anything firearm related, DONT TRY IT.

Ripped the heck out of a coyote few days ago with this round. 15yrds/Mossberg 590. Barn gun, used while checking sheep, lambing now. Coyotes get very brave. Hit it at front shoulder, no fallow up needed. Shoulder/rib cage/lungs -internals massive mush. :smoke: