Which gun?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Here's my thoughts:

• M1 Carbine. Seems there's tons of versions and pitfalls.
    • CMMG medium barrel mid-length upper.
    • Old WW bolty in .308 to complement my S-308.
    • VZ-58. They're beautiful.
    • Beretta CX Storm in .40?
    • Other?
  2. 2. caliber?

• 7.62x39
    • .30 carbine
    • other

Okay, here's the deal. It's time for my next gun purchase, and I'm torn between several options.

**The M1 seems like a cool gun, but I don't know a whole lot about it, and from what little I've read, there's a gajillion different types and manufacturers and stuff. I'd have to research a ton and then hope I could find a good one nearby.

**I have an AR with a pencil barrel, but my dream AR would be the one described above.

**I saw a Enfield MkII in .308 for $210 at the LGS today, and almost jumped on it, but figured the range I'd gain over my Saiga with it wouldn't justify having a whole other gun for it. I also saw a interesting Spanish bolty in .308, good bore, apparently pretty rare for its condition. $300. So that's another option...

**I'm in love with the VZ-58, but can't get over the sticker shock. Saw 2 at the show, both $800. One had plastic furniture and was finished in a deep black, soo pretty. If I'd had the cash with me, it probably would have come home with me.

Basically, I think I'm ready to get a different caliber, but need to narrow my search down. I'm fairly certain I want an intermediate cartridge if I don't get the AR or 308 bolty.

Ideas? Comments?

Acer

The M1 is one of my 'Holy Grail' guns. For me, it is more about the history and storied career that the M1 carries. You are right; there are many types and manufacturers. I'd like a Springfield paratrooper model, as well as an infantry model. This M1A makes my blood boil...Ma9822.jpg

I recently picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and I love the thing. Shoots the 7.62x54r and that round has some SERIOUS damage potential. Kicks like a mule but even with it being made in 1942 I'm keeping hand sized groups, unsupported in the prone at 200 yards with no problem (iron sights). Also even at that range the rounds slide right through a 27" tree then a 12" tree before disappearing into the hillside. I traded a 870 for it and it was a straight trade out the door. Rounds are also cheaper than the 7.62x39, 308 or 30-06. I haven't found the downside yet.

Just have to be patient and get one with good rifling. And if you don't like the stock you can always get a monty stock with a scope.

Don't get me wrong I would love a Socom II but at $1500 I have my gun and ALOT of ammo before the prices get stupid.

Good luck,

Merritt

SGT USMC vet.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, went to the gun show today, and came home with a VZ-58!!!! It's just as pretty as ever. It's got the folder with wood chip handguards and PG. $900 out the door with 3 mags. I think I did alright.

The dealer I got it from is literally right around the corner, so if anything goes wrong, he's right there, :up:

I'll get pics of it up as soon as I tear it apart and put it back together again.

Acer

Oh well, I was going to suggest a CZ-527 carbine in 7.62x39. As far as I know it is the only bolt gun in that caliber and it is a nice handy brush gun. I got one in my safe, Christmas present to myself. I was going to suggest staying away from the VZ-58 due to cost of extra mags and lack of replacement parts on the market but you jumped the gun. By all means enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

Depends on what your looking for, if its accuracy, buy a savage, if its close range combat, an pistol caliber carbine would be nice, and u can never beat a 1911, everyone should have one. my next purchase will be a combat shotgun, I'm not sold on the saigas though for some reason.

• 1 month later...

M1... GARAND!!!!!

Seriously dude, you want a kickass gun, get yourself an M1 Garand and restore it. Trust me, there's nothing like 8 rounds of semi automatic 30-06 to brighten your day :P

Plus you have the satisfaction of owning one of the greatest guns in American service history ;)