I recently went to an indoor range here in NY. I was told they had to check the ammo. I had a box of the cheap 7.62 wolf ammo. The indoor range i go to lets you shoot rifles indoors. They told me i could not use the wolf ammo because it is armor piercing!!! Is this true? They said it had a lead core and held a magnet to the tip of the bullet and it attracted it. They said this is how you can tell if the bullet is AP. They also told me i should not have been able to buy this. I explained i bought it at a local Dick's sporting goods store. What is going on here????

This is quite common with some ranges.

If a magnet sticks to it, it's ARMOR PIERCING!!!!!

Find another range, they're idiots.

Wolf ammo has a steel jacketed lead cored bullet. It is not hardened in any way, shape or form (actual armor piercing ammo contains a very hard steel alloy). Wolf also has a steel case.

this is what i figured. i have a decent amount of this stuff and i got nervous at first. i will go there again and show them some documentation and see what they say. i want to get it in writing from wolf. just a quick question, why would the magnet stick to the actual bullet if that is not made of steel though??

this is what i figured. i have a decent amount of this stuff and i got nervous at first. i will go there again and show them some documentation and see what they say. i want to get it in writing from wolf. just a quick question, why would the magnet stick to the actual bullet if that is not made of steel though??

The bullet is jacketed with steel.

I've seen bimetal wolf 7.62x39 eat right though the steel plates I shoot .308 at in competition. One shot, $100 plate destroyed. At both ranges I go to, there is no steel core or steel jackets allowed. A lot of people still shoot steel core .223, and it beats the shit out of plates and destroys them, and creates unsafe ricochets instead of harmless splatters.

Nothing about armor piercing ammo is illegal, and pretty much all cheap rifle ammo has steel in it: 5.45x39, 7.62x39, and .223.

They have these rules mostly so that people will stop trying things out like that. HP steel jacket might not do anything to a plate at all, but until those "in-the-know" try it, they're not going to allow people to shoot it at their plates.

Wolf is generally safe to use. Now if you were using a PSL or Dragunov with the 7N1 ammo or a AK-74 with the 7N6 you may have trouble. Both of those are steel cored penetrator rounds and could be ruled as armour piercing. You can still get them in some places as surplus in the big spam cans. But most any modern commercial stuff from Wolf or Barnaul is only steel jacketed.

Most people who work at ranges know diddly about guns and ammunition, not all but most.

Wolf is generally safe to use. Now if you were using a PSL or Dragunov with the 7N1 ammo or a AK-74 with the 7N6 you may have trouble. Both of those are steel cored penetrator rounds and could be ruled as armour piercing. You can still get them in some places as surplus in the big spam cans. But most any modern commercial stuff from Wolf or Barnaul is only steel jacketed.
The 7N1 7.62x54R ammunition does not have a "penetrator". The Russians and Chinese use steel bullet cores because it's cheaper and easier to work than lead. This steel is very soft and only there to add weight.

This is one reason the 7.62x39 ammo in the US isn't $60/1000 like it used to be, as the legislators listened to their ignorant populace and did not research the actual fact before making stupid laws.

Edited by nalioth

There is NO LAWS on ammo in NY state... you can possess ANY ammunition you want, that is not banned federally... ( Like the Chinese steel core ammo)

You can have steel core of any other flavor... AP, APIT, Tracer, Etc...

I have .50 bmg rounds in armour piercing, armour piercing incendiary, tracer, and armour piercing incendiary tracer. As well as just basic ball... ( Which is also steel core!)

Tell them they are fucktards because they are not as smart as they think they are... However, as listed above... the STEEL CASE on a lead bullet WILL chew up those plates... and THATS the reason they do not want you to use them! Not because they are STEEL CORE, nor illegal!

:smoke:

O.K. None of this ammo is AP. AP has a tungsten penetrator or similiar metallurgical equivalent and it is not illegal to shoot or possess. It can mess up indoor ranges in that the bullet does not lend itself to easy disintigration upon impact. The 7.62x39 norinco copper washed stuff that is not available commercially had a mild steel core/rod with a mild steel copper washed jacket. Mild in that it will accept your rifles' lands in the bore. It also will not damage your bore as commonly thought. It can start a fire however. Try shooting some at dusk into some sand. Lots of sparks. I am sure those buffoons @ the range think this as well. (bore damage). The Norinco/China sports 7.62x51 was lead core copper washed as was the 5.56. Some butthole said "Hey, steel core= AP" All wolf and Russian brand except the wolf gold line is copper plated mild steel with a lead core. It will all attract a magnet. None of this will penetrate true hardened armour plate. I routinely easily punch through 1/4 -5/8 in. steel pipe and rolled steel plate with no problem @ 300 meters and this will punch clean through a car unless you strike engine block, etc. Oh yeah, all of it will go through body armour other than what the military uses that is where the armour peircing BS comes from not its imagined potential to go through an M1 Abrams. Conventional centerfire leadcore rifle ammo will also easily penetrate the same body armour so tell bubba at the range Rambo says it's OK.