For a competition gun would you rather have a folder of collapsible stock? I have been thinking lately and will do one or the other very shortly. I have a CAA AR stock with a raisable cheek piece. Which I might transfer over to my shotgun. The thing is an AK with a M-4 stock just looks wrong.

Pros and Cons?

Folder gets makes a compact package.

IMHO the collapsible stock is the way to go. Folders are great for packing on a hike or such, but for competition you will be shooting from the shoulder and a collapsible will allow you to adjust the length based on the stage before you or upon your gear. Folders have 2 lengths---Folded or Fixed. Collapsible stocks allow you to shorten the stock if faced with a house type scenario with halls or extended to your most comfortable length for field courses. I am 5'll" and I use my T6 stock on position three due to my arm length. It is the most comfortable. Fully extended is just too long. This is the same position I use on my competition AR. Also if you shoot a trooper class or have a winter shoot and your clothing is thicker than normal then a fixed stock often seems awkward, almost like you have to stretch your arm to work your gun. For competition your gun doesn't HAVE to be authentic or pretty, but it HAS to be functional. Hope this helps.

I am thinking callapsible I did have one on it before but it proved to be too high to get a good sight picture so I went to a NATO lenght AK stock which has been on there for years now. I really want to be in final configuration before this summer.

For a competition gun would you rather have a folder of collapsible stock? I have been thinking lately and will do one or the other very shortly. I have a CAA AR stock with a raisable cheek piece. Which I might transfer over to my shotgun. The thing is an AK with a M-4 stock just looks wrong.

Pros and Cons?

Folder gets makes a compact package.

For some 3 gun and other practical application, in a vehicle its hard to shoot out both sides with a full length stock. Thats why I 'am putting a folder on my conversation. I do not see a down side to it. Hope that helped

Jim

I use an Ace sidefolder and have found no problems using it either locked open or as mentioned above, occasionally folded for use from a car or CQB area. If you do go with a M4 collapsible style I suggest an alloy or high-quality good name brand stock as the recoil may eventually cause the stock locking pin to fail.

My own competition shotguns are either ACE/AR folders or Tromix "competition" stocks with the ACE folding mechanism. No real "shooting" reason to have them fold, except that it lets me put them in smaller bags :)

Our modern shotguns are usually quite a it shorter than the other Open shooter's guns, as they are running 10 round (or better) tubes and we are not. If you have it, no need to flaunt it :haha:

Alex

The collapsible stock is nice if you sometimes wear body armor. The folder makes the firearm shorter.

I do not like M4 type stocks on a AK, unless it is something like an ATI, it is hard to get a good cheekweld for fast shooting.

Hey John, If you are really concerned over the folder/M-4 stock...........I'll build your comp gun with a combination setup...............M-4 style stock on an ACE sidefolder setup.........we can get the best of both this way......Tom

I've got the combination folder, collapsible. works well enough for me, I can adjust the stock length for sitting/standing and the folding works for compactness. Competition, in my opinion, is better served by the collapsible. But in all reality it's whatever you are most comfortable with, cause when you're comfortable, you'll shoot better than if you're shooting with something that is uncomfortable but everyone says is a "must" have for competition.

With the price of gas, I was starting to consider a traveling on my motorcycle. Part of that plan was to convert to a folder for the compactness aspect.

I've had a t6 on mine for years, it's held up well. I have a favorite length, but occasionally will go shorter for tight confines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why not get the best of both worlds with the ATI Strikeforce left side adjustable folder. That's the stock I use on all my Saiga's. It's especially good for big or tall folks with a long reach because it extends really far, and it has the adjustable cheek rest and butt pad as well. It's very reasonably priced ($70 delivered from Natchez, part#ZGAKA3600). The only drawback I can see is if you're really small because fully closed it's a little long because of the folding part.

post-13782-1233788042_thumb.jpg