First of all, I had a great time. A friend of mine lives up there, so I stayed for free in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn. I did a few tourist things, I went to Coney Island, even though it was shut down, it was awesome, totally desolate, kinda trippy. Walked around Times Square, it pissed me off, went by the Museum of Natural History, and checked out the ball drop from the roof of some chick's apartment about 4 blocks from Times Square. This party was awesome, there were all kinds of Indian and Asian chicks, one of them came up to me and said "You have a beautiful face." I started stammering, and was like, "well, you got pretty eyes." She was so hot that was the only thing I could come up with.

For the most part, everyone was extremely friendly once I got to talking to them, I spent a lot of time in a Polish bar in Greenpoint in Brooklyn, probably some of the most hospitable folks I've ever met.

Which brings me to my point. I think Yankees in general and New Yorkers in particular get a bad rap for being assholes. Just about everyone I talked to was super nice, bought me beer, and shot the shit. They would ask me questions about the south, I'd explain things, and I think they were usually surprised to see that I had all my teeth, and, while I do have a pretty thick southern drawl, I still was capable of speaking in a coherent fashion, even though sometimes I'd be like "what?" and they'd do the same thing when we were talking.

Another thing, I actually felt safer in Brooklyn than I do in Birmingham, even though I stayed in a pretty grimy part of town. One of the guys at the bar explained it this way. He said "Well, you're a white guy, no one really looks at you as a threat. They usually fuck with people who they perceive as threatening." This is totally different from Birmingham, where if you're white, some folks of the darker persuasion assume that you're a chump, so they can rape/rob/kill or generally take advantage of you, which is not the case with me.

Also, the subway and the bus system up there is probably one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I was able to navigate the subway after a day or so of being up there, I only got lost when I got up on the street and started wandering around. I figured that a lot of the stuff up there looks the same, so, even though there are a ton of landmarks, it was hard for me to keep up with which ones were marking which land, if that makes sense. Coupled with the fact that the place is just so damned big, it's easy to get lost.

All in all, I had a great time, but was still excited to get back to the good old south. I went out today, even though it was raining, and shot shit with my S12. It seemed only fitting.

All in all, I had a great time, but was still excited to get back to the good old south. I went out today, even though it was raining, and shot shit with my S12. It seemed only fitting.

Well, that's one way to get the smell of New York City out of your lungs :haha:

New York City is an amazing place, no doubt about that (but I still wouldn't want to live there).

I've been to alot of places around the country. Its the same thing everywere you go , you get some very nice people and you some really bad assholes. I dont know why we got a such a bad name in NY but there are alot of nice, good hearted people especially in the the upstate NY areas.

Back in the '70's a bunch of us got laid off in Texas. Being a union job with seniority rights many of us chose to bump lower seniority which is always in NYC.

One of the first things those yanks did was invite us to a clam bake. Showed the way to do a clam etc. They asked some of us to bring back some of that "Coors" beer they heard about because it was the "thing" back then with H.Kissenger always bringing back a case to D.C when he was out west.

It was 8 hrs of laughs working in the "guiny garage" at JFK...everybody grinds on everybody else so no one feels singled out.

The other 16 hours of the day wasn't so hot though.

Seeing as how they had the highest taxes in the land I always voted for any tax increase because they're used to that....brought up a mason jar full of scorpions and black widows to spread around to see if they would catch on there,...also a bunch of stickers, after all I knew I was leaving....took 3 1/2 years though.

Great People! Lousy vote profile...left, left, left, left.

I know a few people that live in NY and NJ. Some of the best people I know. Just because they are great doesn't mean there isn't a very good reason NY has the reputation that it does. Some of the worst people around here are displaced yankees from there. It's a blue state. But you have to keep in mind that doesn't mean every person up there voted for Nobama. There are actually some sane people up there.

Very interesting observation you have of us NYers. I'm glad you had a relatively positive experience here. Ya'll come visit again sometime. We're not all that bad and not all of us voted for this guy. Thanks for the props Cobra...

nyclu3

I will say that a lot of the people I encountered were definitely of the liberal persuasion, which I can usually look past, and dismiss as either idealism or just lack of understanding as far as real world situations are concerned. One of the guys at the Polish bar asked me if we still lynched people in Alabama, I said "No, at least not black people." This is the same guy that told me about "hoo-uh" punching. "Yeah, ya pull up to queens plaza, call a hoo-uh over to the cah, and knock'eh in the head." I was rolling.

Anyway, I was reading the NY Daily News, and couldn't figure out if the fucking thing was satire, or what. One of the articles was headlined "President Bush sez...." (I can't remember what it was he had said), but I was floored that a newspaper would actually print "says" as "sez." This was also the same paper that reported 23,000 NYC individuals/families were the recipients of $7.5 or $9.5 million dollars as incentive to do things they should be doing in the first place, ie $400 to get a check up at the doctor, $50 to get a library card, and $150 for having perfect attendance in school. I was outraged, but I don't live up there, so fuck'em.

I saw a bunch of ads in the subway as far as NYPD recruiting, and actually considered applying for some, considering that they said they have 300-something sub-departments within the department, and I know I could get a job installing and maintaining the surveillance cameras they have all over the place up there (I have a degree in criminal justice and work with low voltage AV systems). But I really don't think I could deal with the political nonsense that goes on up there, but it would definitely be an experience, for a year or so. I'd just hate to be stuck up there if there were any civil unrest, all separated from my guns, and whatnot.

Holy shit, I was at the intersection of 7th Ave/48th Street, a couple blocks from the ball! We started up at about 50th, and made our way up (thanks to a cool LEO). If I knew you were there, I'd have bought you a beer :beer: .

I agree on the NYers (NYCers, more specifically) having that "asshole" reputation. After spending some time there, you start to realize it's not usually how it is. It is literally like a different world in NYC, and some people have a hard time adjusting to it or understanding it. It's definitely the fastest-paced city I've ever been to (not even talking about New Years Eve, either), and if you slow down on the sidewalk, you're getting bumped out of the way :lol: .

Well, that's one way to get the smell of New York City out of your lungs :haha:

New York City is an amazing place, no doubt about that (but I still wouldn't want to live there).

NYC definitely has "that" smell :lol: . Step out of Port Authority, and WHAM.......funk in your nose!

I agree with you, it's an awesome place to visit every now and then, but I wouldn't want to live there. Kinda like how people love little kids and babies, but it's always great to hand them back to their parents.

ETA a picture from where we were standing/freezing.

PC310684.jpg

Edited by 22_Shooter

/\/\ Holy shit, dude. The party I was at was on 51st street west between 9th and 10th ave! I probably could have looked off the roof and seen ya. I came off the subway at 50th street and 7th ave, I believe.

Did you think it was that cold? I was surprised at how un-cold it was, considering the temperatures. Not to say it wasn't cold, but I'll say this: Standing on top of an apartment building in Manhattan in 20 degree temp with a windchill in the single digits feels about as cold as 30 degrees in some humid ass air in Alabama. I really wasn't that cold, all I was wearing was a sweater and an m65 army jacket, I was surprised to say the least. But then again, I bet all the booze I drank helped, too.

Jesus, there was so much booze at this party, it was ridiculous. All kinds of whiskey, about 30 bottle of good wine. My ass showed up with a 12 pack of bud light. :lolol: But the chicks were digging it, I swear. :super:

When you were in Coney Island, did you hit up Nathans? I lived in Sheepshead Bay

for most of my life and never even had a Nathans' hot dog. Pitiful. If you're ever back in the BK,

try Lenny's Pizza on 86 St. and 20 Ave. They have the best pizza in Brooklyn. Period!

New York is full of characters. I can't forget the day when a transvestite "street walker" named Cookie

started swinging a knife at anyone walking past her. I called the NYPD, and once they finally showed up

(half an hour after I called), I can't forget what the officer told me. "Oh, it's only Cookie. IT'S harmless."

Gotta love the NYC.

/\/\ Holy shit, dude. The party I was at was on 51st street west between 9th and 10th ave! I probably could have looked off the roof and seen ya. I came off the subway at 50th street and 7th ave, I believe.

Did you think it was that cold? I was surprised at how un-cold it was, considering the temperatures. Not to say it wasn't cold, but I'll say this: Standing on top of an apartment building in Manhattan in 20 degree temp with a windchill in the single digits feels about as cold as 30 degrees in some humid ass air in Alabama. I really wasn't that cold, all I was wearing was a sweater and an m65 army jacket, I was surprised to say the least. But then again, I bet all the booze I drank helped, too.

Yeah, that's crazy. Too bad we didn't know the other was going.

I definitely think it was cold. When we were walking around, checking out some landmark areas, we were fine. But as soon as we got into the gated areas on the street, and weren't moving at all, then it got cold as hell. That, on top of the fact that it was windy, and the size of the buildings make the streets act as a damn wind tunnel! You'd think that being crammed in with so many people, it wouldn't be so bad, but it was mostly our toes that froze :ded: .

When you were in Coney Island, did you hit up Nathans? I lived in Sheepshead Bay

for most of my life and never even had a Nathans' hot dog. Pitiful. If you're ever back in the BK,

try Lenny's Pizza on 86 St. and 20 Ave. They have the best pizza in Brooklyn. Period!

New York is full of characters. I can't forget the day when a transvestite "street walker" named Cookie

started swinging a knife at anyone walking past her. I called the NYPD, and once they finally showed up

(half an hour after I called), I can't forget what the officer told me. "Oh, it's only Cookie. IT'S harmless."

Gotta love the NYC.

Yeah, I went to Nathan's, can't say I was impressed. I'm sure back in the day it was good, but now it's like a McDonald's for hot dogs. I asked for a cup of water, and they gave me a cup of this cloudy ass water. I'm sure that's just NYC water, but jesus, it looked horrible. Also, I asked for kraut and onions on my chili cheese dog, and all I got was chili and cheese. Bummer.

Yeah, that's crazy. Too bad we didn't know the other was going.

I definitely think it was cold. When we were walking around, checking out some landmark areas, we were fine. But as soon as we got into the gated areas on the street, and weren't moving at all, then it got cold as hell. That, on top of the fact that it was windy, and the size of the buildings make the streets act as a damn wind tunnel! You'd think that being crammed in with so many people, it wouldn't be so bad, but it was mostly our toes that froze :ded: .

Hmm, I noticed that when I got in between the buildings, they seemed to shield the wind a bit. I guess it just depends where you're standing and which way the wind is blowing. I was standing on the porch on 51st st smoking a cigarette in jeans and a sweater.

Back in the '70's a bunch of us got laid off in Texas. Being a union job with seniority rights many of us chose to bump lower seniority which is always in NYC.

One of the first things those yanks did was invite us to a clam bake. Showed the way to do a clam etc. They asked some of us to bring back some of that "Coors" beer they heard about because it was the "thing" back then with H.Kissenger always bringing back a case to D.C when he was out west.

It was 8 hrs of laughs working in the "guiny garage" at JFK...everybody grinds on everybody else so no one feels singled out.

The other 16 hours of the day wasn't so hot though.

Seeing as how they had the highest taxes in the land I always voted for any tax increase because they're used to that....brought up a mason jar full of scorpions and black widows to spread around to see if they would catch on there,...also a bunch of stickers, after all I knew I was leaving....took 3 1/2 years though.

Great People! Lousy vote profile...left, left, left, left.

Don't judge the state by the city. Just sayin