Looking for a quick aim red dot

I've added a RAA skeletonized stock to my S12 and have found two minor flaws, the first being the grip is a bit small for my hands, I'll deal with that.

The second and most inconvenient is if I choose to use the cheek rest I can't use the fixed sights. I don't want to put a scope on as I'm not looking to make 500 + yard shots and I think all I'll need is some sort of a quick aim, any suggestions for mounting or inexpensive but durable quick aim's

I'm thinking of a side mount with a weaver rail with a quick aim red dot, but I have no experience with this or any other sort of set up on a S12, opinions please

I recommend a reflex or halo sight like the one I have pictured here. I have used them on 1911 competetion pistols, 10/22 plinkers and shotguns alike (awesome for clays!). VERY fast target acquisiton with both eyes open. Good in bright daylight or at night. You can get them with red and/or green lasers with adjustable reticles. Cost $30-$175 range. Make sure you get one that is made to handle a firearms recoil and not just for airsoft or archery.

post-14713-1231531224_thumb.jpg

I recommend a reflex or halo sight like the one I have pictured here. I have used them on 1911 competetion pistols, 10/22 plinkers and shotguns alike (awesome for clays!). VERY fast target acquisiton with both eyes open. Good in bright daylight or at night. You can get them with red and/or green lasers with adjustable reticles. Cost $30-$175 range. Make sure you get one that is made to handle a firearms recoil and not just for airsoft or archery.

Sweet, that's exactly what I had in mind. Any problems you can think of with mounting that to a side rail?

It would work, but I can't image how you are going to hold the Saiga while sighting.

LMAO, I had a fucktard moment, that's what I get for beinng on the phone while typing my question. What I meant to say was "Any problems you can think of with mounting that to a side rail scope mount"

It would work, but I can't image how you are going to hold the Saiga while sighting.

LMAO, I had a fucktard moment, that's what I get for beinng on the phone while typing my question. What I meant to say was "Any problems you can think of with mounting that to a side rail scope mount"

Although there is no 'eye-relief' with a reflex type scope, they are generally mounted further from the eye than traditional scopes. I would suggest mounting the sight approximately where the existing rear sight is. Check out the picture thread on this forum for some ideas.

Although there is no 'eye-relief' with a reflex type scope, they are generally mounted further from the eye than traditional scopes. I would suggest mounting the sight approximately where the existing rear sight is. Check out the picture thread on this forum for some ideas.

That sir, is brilliant. I shall do so tomorrow later today as the next round of snow comes in

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting a Kobra red dot myself from a forum member here. It has a built in side mount and is supposed to be a good match for any AK. Get the UTG quick release side mount. It is good quality and puts the mount as low as possible while still allowing to remove the dust cover with the scope mounted. The quick release is nice because you can take the scope off fast if it fails. Also the UTG mount has a side mount for a micro red dot, laser, light or whatever. Also for a nice low mount check out the russian BP-02 low mount.

For a nice optic. If you have $500 burning a hole in your pocket the Aimpoint Micro is the best. A nice "budget" scope is the Bushnell Holosite by eotech for $250. There a a whole bunch of lower price red dots. I have herd good things about the Vortes strikefire for $120 and Truglows are suposed to be OK. Stay far away from anything by ATN unless you enjoy broken things. There are a whole pile of low price red dots and reflex sights but if you use them expect there to be a pretty good chance they will fail on a shotgun.

If you want a UTG side mount I have one I am not using now that I bought the Kobra so if you decide you would like to use that I will sell it to you for cheap. I never actually used it.

Edited by lipadj46

Interesting setup Topmaul.

I'd think that would make the shotgun pretty front heavy, but maybe not. I've considered doing the "scout" style mount on the gas tube, but might set it back more towards the center of balance. We'll see.

Corbin

Can you give a link for this red dot?

thanks

As mentioned any AK side mount will work. Just be aware that some mount the sight pretty high. Look for one that mounts the sight right over the topcover. This one mounts nice and low. I'm pretty sure I got it from FAC, but can't be positive, I've had it for several years.

S-12.jpg

Can you give a link for this red dot?

thanks

Many different brands come out with that red dot. Here is one:

http://www.swfa.com/c-985-barska-electro-sights.aspx

Here is another:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8508-664-bsa-panoramic-sight.aspx

It pretty much roles out of the same factory in China or wherever and is labeled with different names. I hope you have good luck with that sight a friend of mine had to replace his a few times before he bought something quality. That was on an AR also. Generally with optics especially electronic optics you get what you pay for. Not that you cannot get a deal but you need to do your homework.

My two cents and experience...

I got one of those sights off of ebay... I love the sight and the design but the sight has an issue... the part that roates and holds the part that projects the red dot is loose, does not hold a good zero...

So my advice is be sure Not to buy it off of ebay... I got a laser bore sighter off of ebay that was bent... and some other trash... I learned to skip saving money and buy from brownells, midway, cabelas...

Cats love their new laser bore sighter err laser pointer toy...

I plan on trying the red dot on my S12 as soon as I pick up a side mount for my shotgun, I bought it for my AR pistol and it will work ok for close range, but useless for target shooting...

I bought a bushnell trophy MP red dot and I love it, I use it for target, hunting and 3gun on my M4. :wub:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=859535

This sucker was worth every penny, I bought mine on sale and with my birthday cupon. :smoke:

The second and most inconvenient is if I choose to use the cheek rest I can't use the fixed sights.

I finally read this post slower. The pad is made to use with a scope if you don't want a scope and want to use the irons you are not supposed to use the pad. Just keep it in the down position and problem solved. Just wanted to make sure you knew this stock was modeled after a sniper stock that is why the pad is there. You do not need to use the pad though if you don't need a scope.

The Bushnell Trophy MP Red Dot that you bought and the picture of the red dot in post #18 in this thread look different. Can you tell me the difference between the two? Thanks.

thats kuz I was suggesting the Bushnell over the other one... :rolleyes:

http://www.truglosights.com/content/produc...ticle_opent.asp

I haven't got this one yet, but I have two other truglo red dots on my 7.62x39s and I think truglo's are the awesome, especially for the price you cannot beat it. The link to the one above is my next purchase, I'm going to put it on my saiga-12.

The cheapos like in post #2 is a toss up. The Truglow and the bushnells should but make sure you get it from a good retailer and get a model with a good warranty. The Kobras always interested me so I am trying one next and if that fails I will try an aimpoint micro. If you want a compromise look at the bushnell holosight by eotech.