Which Saiga 12 mags?

I'm about to get a new Saiga 12 and am wondering what brands of mags are good and which to avoid? Are the AGP 10rd mags listed here good?

http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP-S12-MAG

The price looks good, especially w/free shipping.

What are the best brands and good prices on the various capacity mags? Do I start to lose reliability in 10+ rd mags?

Thanks for any input to the FNG. :smoke:

I just bought three AGP 10 rounders........One has a follower sticking about mid way down into the mag.......I either gotta futz with it or send it back to the seller.....

BTW- I paid almost 70 bucks each delvd :ded:

Do you know what generation they are?

I just bought three AGP 10 rounders........One has a follower sticking about mid way down into the mag.......I either gotta futz with it or send it back to the seller.....

BTW- I paid almost 70 bucks each delvd :ded:

Do you know what generation they are?

Yes. they are Gen 2

Thanks for the replies everyone,

So should I go with the 10rd AGP mags or spend a few more bucks on the Surefire 12 rounders?

Edit:

Well after doing some searches here I took a chance on two 12rd Surefire mags.

Edited by Wasabi
Thanks for the replies everyone,

So should I go with the 10rd AGP mags or spend a few more bucks on the Surefire 12 rounders?

Edit:

Well after doing some searches here I took a chance on two 12rd Surefire mags.

IMO you should go with 2 of each, shoot 100 rnds minimum through each of them, then post up your opinion on which you like better.

I like my surefire mags better than my AGP, but after sanding the follower and the inside of the AGP mags they work flawlessly too. It's nice to have the variety.

Hi

I just got my S-12 a few days ago. I got a Surefire 12 rounder the same day. Today I put around 100 rounds through the Surefire without any major problems. I had to switch the gas setting to 2 after a few rounds of light loads weren't ejecting, but that's not the mag's fault.

One thing that DID happen that I didn't like was the corner of the top rib on the mag broke a corner off. It left a groove into the mag body where it broke off. See pic below.

magcorner.jpg

Corbin

who has the cheapest surefire 12 rd mags in stock? thanks

Hi

I just got my S-12 a few days ago. I got a Surefire 12 rounder the same day. Today I put around 100 rounds through the Surefire without any major problems. I had to switch the gas setting to 2 after a few rounds of light loads weren't ejecting, but that's not the mag's fault.

One thing that DID happen that I didn't like was the corner of the top rib on the mag broke a corner off. It left a groove into the mag body where it broke off. See pic below.

magcorner.jpg

Corbin

Corbin,

I've been considering the Surefire mags, do you know what caused the corner of the top rib of mag to break?

Can the mag loaded with 12 rounds be inserted into the magwell with the bolt closed?

Hi

magcorner.jpg

Corbin

Edited by FAST STRIKE

I'd recommend the AGP's as they have a history to them .... you might need to do some easy tweaking, but I have yet to hear of mags breaking.

There have been reports of the surefires breaking with heavy loads, but now this?

I've been waiting for a good time financially to buy a handful of surefires. I have numerous factory full and 5 rounders, AGP's and drums ... so it's out of curiousity for me. The fact that the mags are breaking this early on has me rethinking of just buying one, or none. I don't know, I really want to support any company that's stepping with saiga accessories. Maybe a railed forearm instead? :)

YMMV and IMHO.

The Surefire mag can actually take 13 rounds, but can't be loaded on a closed bolt unless you use 12. Still, it's easier to just lock the bolt back and load a mag regardless. The mag functioned flawlessly with 100 rounds.

To answer the question of what made the rib break off, I suspect it was the way the Surefire mag sits in the magwell. You can see in this picture how the top rib angles upward towards the bottom of the receiver. It doesn't quite touch, but it's close. I suspect that the combination of cold temperatures and the corner of the rib impacting the receiver during recoil might have caused it. I would think that the recoil would actually drive the receiver back and WIDEN that space, not reduce it.

surefire.jpg

I also shot an AGP mag and the first shot broke off the front mag catch, dropping the mag to the ground. I was told it was a fluke though, and that the other AGP mags that were there literally had 100s if not 1000s of rounds through them without any problems. I think someone got that on video, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Corbin

I've got a few Surefires and have had no troubles with any of them yet playing in the cold.I have an AGP that hangs up a bit so that one mostly just sits around now.

Get some funny looks with that big mag sticking out at the trap range too,kind of funny sometimes.

Juggernaut just sent me video his wife took of me shooting my S-12 rapid fire with a Surefire mag. It was at the end of the day and I only had 7 or 8 shots left. I'm not sure how many I fired. It's hard to count. I'm thinking 7, but either way, it was pretty darn fast.

This is NOT FULL AUTO. It's not even bumpfire. I'm holding the pistol grip with my dominant hand (which happens to be my left one). I then extend my right index finger with the palm facing downward. I insert the finger into the trigger guard so that the side of my finger contacts the trigger. I then rapidly bounce my finger back and forth to get the rapid fire.

Notice the lack of muzzle climb, since I'm holding the butt tight against my shoulder. I prefer this technique to bumpfiring because it's more accurate and far more reliable, since the weapon is allowed a solid foundation to recoil against. Granted, spraying ammo isn't really beneficial for most combat situations. One or two aimed hits per target is far better than a dozen rounds downrange with one or two hitting what you want. Still, it's fun.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

Just wait til I have an MD-20 drum. ;)

I've been using that technique for about 15 or 20 years now. Back in my Army days, a few of us were playing around with ideas for delivering higher firepower during CQB training. Moreso with a pistol than anything. This technique evolved for us from another one that served a totally different purpose, weapon retention.

One technique for extreme close fighting was to pull the weapon hand's elbow back to your side while using the offhand in a covering "chicken wing" position to guard against attempts to grab the pistol. Sorta like this:

IntegratedFighting-200.jpg

Just imagine the pistol was in his LEFT hand and not his right.

Most of us got in the habit of lining our offhand's forearm with the line of the bore and using it to help aim. You'd essentially have your offhand in a fist touching your opposite shoulder. It protects your throat and your weapon. You seriously don't want to lower your elbow into the line of fire from your own weapon though. I saw a guy do that and needless to say, he had a bad day. :sick:

Anyway, when we were trying to rapid fire at close range, we just had to pull the trigger quickly. Through experimentation, we discovered that keeping the elbow in the rearward position, but having the offhand come across the chest in a "I pledge allegiance" style, rather than setting over the top of it, allowed us to use the weak hand to pull the trigger. At first, it wasn't much faster, but then we turned our weak hand palm down and used the side of the index finger. That made a TON of difference. I'll see about making a video of me with my Glock.

That evolved a bit for use with semi auto long guns. Same basic concept except you can hold the butt against your shoulder or with it locked under your armpit in "assault style". Shooting this way from the hip can be done too, but I'm not that good at it.

I hope this helps

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

I haven't seen anything posted regarding the ProMag 10 rounders.

promagindustries.com

They're slightly less expensive ($45.72) than the AGPs, which I own and love, but am wondering how they compare? Anyone know of an existing thread?

I've used ProMags for two of my other weapons - a few different 9mms - but had so many problems with feeding that I never bought from them again and just stuck with factory mags. This was over 10 years ago, so maybe quality has improved.