tromix stock and limbsaver pad

I just received all my conversion parts from Chaos and CSS. Now the fun begins and I have a question like all noobs. It appears that the screw holes are off set to one side on the Tromix stock..is this normal. Also I ordered this with the limbsaver and it was sent unattached. Looks like the Stock has its current rear pad glued or epoxied on. How do you change this out and attach the limbsaver? Off topic is there a secret to installing plastic picatinny rail covers? they are made of some type of semi hard plastic, may try to heat them up in boiling water like a mouth guard.

Thanks,

Obake

Edited by obake
It appears that the screw holes are off set to one side on the Tromix stock..is this normal.

The mount is designed to look best on the Ace hinge, which 99% of our customers use.

Yeah but only if you set it up to fold left, otherwise its offset on the ace hinge when folding right.

Could you post pictures of this offset? I'm planning the same thing with the Tromix stock and the ACE hinge, intending to fold it to the right. I'd like to know what I'm setting myself up for.

I don't have a pic, but the mounting holes are centered on the stock. It just has a longer flange on one side to look better with the hinge.

Could you post pictures of this offset? I'm planning the same thing with the Tromix stock and the ACE hinge, intending to fold it to the right. I'd like to know what I'm setting myself up for.

I don't have a pic, but the mounting holes are centered on the stock. It just has a longer flange on one side to look better with the hinge.

So if I set it up to fold to the right, it will have an overhang on the left side? By how much?

Hey Bob, I came across this quote of yours on another thread:

It is a steel-reinforced poly stock. This is the 3rd generation design...Tromix developed the stock wprking directly with the manufacturer, Lage industries. We've sold thousands without failure.

I did not know that. I'm curious to learn more about the steel reinforcing.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I have found it matches up perfectly folding left or right. I was surprised that the "pad" is actually the same hard plastic material as the rest of the stock. It does tenderize the shoulder after a while, but the contour shape really shoulders well.

IMG_6168.jpg

Good info in this thread. Are you able to fold it to the left completely with the rail attached to the scope mount?

I did not know that. I'm curious to learn more about the steel reinforcing.

Thanks.

Belloc,

During initial testing we were able to break a few and indentify the stress areas. The lastest gen has a steel plate on the mounting flange that runs through into the comb. It's no airsoft part! Literally thousands of these stocks are mounted on S-12's and merrily pounding away at peoples' shoulders.

I have found it matches up perfectly folding left or right. I was surprised that the "pad" is actually the same hard plastic material as the rest of the stock. It does tenderize the shoulder after a while, but the contour shape really shoulders well.

IMG_6168.jpg

Good info in this thread. Are you able to fold it to the left completely with the rail attached to the scope mount?

No, not with this mount.

IMG_6119.jpg

But this mount worked.

IMG_6130.jpg

Not much space in there.

IMG_6158.jpg

I like these stocks a lot and would highly recommend them. On the SLR it is the 6th stock I've had. However I am now actually going to try a Magpul UBR and see how that works.

IMG_6255.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I just bought a Tromix stock with the Limbsaver pad from Carolina Shooters Supply. I figured I could spend the money once for the best or save a little now on something cheaper and spend more later when it messes up.

I had a question though....

Is the Limbsaver a solid foam piece or is it something more complex than that? I've seen something called the "Answer System" that had conical springs inside a buttpad. Just wondering if this was something similar. I don't doubt that it works. I'm just curious what it is exactly.

Thanks.

Corbin

The inside has a similar network of "springs"...it's not just a solid piece. If you get a big universal grind to fit pad and overgrind it, you'll cut into the webbing inside and ruin the pad, so they have a few different sizes. I bought a universal one to grind myself and finally decided it was better to work an extra couple hours at work and pay Tromix for it than try it myself and screw it up.

Want to buy a NIB grind to fit pad? :)

That's cool.

I just didn't see any other threads about what the Limbsaver actually was, so I thought I'd ask here. It sounds like those that just bought the regular Tromix stock often say they wish they had just spent the extra money and got the Limbsaver pad too. Hopefully it works out well for me. I suspect it will.

Now to sell my Tapco stock and AK grip. :rolleyes:

Corbin

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I can't edit one of my older posts, so I have to make a new one.....weird.

Anyway, I've got the Tromix w/ Limsaver pad. It's really comfortable, though the thick pad makes the length of pull seem a bit long for my taste. Might just be the stock is a bit long for me once I added the folding mechanism. An adjustable Tromix stock would be awesome. HINT HINT :rolleyes:

The grinding job on the pad isn't perfect, but it works. I'm not sure if I should try "touching it up" though. Don't wanna screw anything up. It's just a bit rough in a couple spots.

Corbin

IMG_6168.jpg

No, not with this mount.

IMG_6119.jpg

But this mount worked.

IMG_6130.jpg

Not much space in there.

IMG_6158.jpg

I like these stocks a lot and would highly recommend them. On the SLR it is the 6th stock I've had. However I am now actually going to try a Magpul UBR and see how that works.

IMG_6255.jpg

Hey, what magazine release is that?

I'm not sure what mag release extension that is, but I like it. I know the ones for the rifles sometimes look a little different than the ones for the shotguns, which is what I tend to pay more attention to.

Thanks for the advice Wakko. I found this on page 9 or the Tromix section:

As you already know, the surface finish on the sides of your Limbsaver recoil pad look a bit rough, despite my best efforts to smooth them out after grinding. I spoke with the guys at Steven Sims today and they told me that you can get a better surface finish if you put the pad in the freezer overnight and then sand it wet with WD-40 and 240 grit paper.

So, if you have one that looks rough, pull the stock off the back of the gun and put the whole thing in the freezer, then sand it to clean it up. Or, if you send it back to me, I will do it at no charge.

Tony