Barrel lubrication

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started collecting guns, my first being a m91/30 mosin nagant. I used typical gun lube like remOil and such. I remember storing it for like a month. When I picked it up again I looked down the bore and to my horror the barrel was completely rusted up and pitted (This gun was properly cleaned). What happened was the oil dried up and the bare metal was exposed. After this experience I only use grease down the bore with a jag and a patch covered in grease. Hell its what the ruskies used to store their guns for decades on end. Some people would disagree with me but I have done this many times and shot my guns with grease down the bore. No problems. I believe it is the best way to preserve the condition of the bore for a very long time.

Edited by RomyG

I run a dry patch through to remove the surface powder. I then run a bore brush through about 6-7 times to clean out the rifling, and give a chamber brush a few turns. I then run a patch soaked with CLP through and let it sit and work while I clean the rest of the gun. I then run patches through till they come out clean. Bore is nice, clean, protected and ready to shoot when I grab it.

Since you are new to firearms (welcome), I would also add two things...There are as many good products out there today as there are opinions. But for a beginner wanting to "long-term" store a firearm..(over the winter months for example) you cannot beat RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) It is basically a lighter weight cosmoline. CLP and other modern oils recommend that after oiling the bore you run a dry patch through the bore to remove the excess.

Something some newer (and probably some older shooters) dont do is wipe the bore with a dry patch before shooting the gun next time out. Leaving oil or grease in the bore increases chamber pressure, affects accuracy, and also creates a "bed" for residue and gunk to stick to. Good luck.

after my guns are cleaned, I spray them liberally inside and out with Birchwoood Casey "BARRICADE" ( Formerly known as "SHEATH")

It is a rust inhibitor, and lubricant... almost like light grade spray cosmoline. It coats, and sticks, and protects for storage.

I dont ever have to worry about pre-cleaning after its sat a while, before I want to go shoot... just shoot it, Sheath wont clog up anything... after shooting, just clean again, more sheath... store...

:smoke: