Gas piston replacement

While changing out my FCG last night decided to change out the piston for a domestic unit as well.

I had a Tapco piston on hand, so I tried to unscrew the OEM piston... and that's as far as I got. :cryss:

Should it just unscrew from the assembly? Is there some trick I'm missing? I didn't see any pins holding it in place, just a couple of dimples that didn't seem near deep enough to be engaging the threads.

HELP!!! (Please! :angel: )

The "piston" you change is actually a puck and it's under the gas adjust knob at the end of the gas tube.

Stop what you're doing with the rod attached to the bolt carrier, or you're gonna get an education in how to rivet one back in place.

Edited by nalioth
The "piston" you change is actually a puck and it's under the gas adjust knob at the end of the gas tube.

Stop what you're doing with the rod attached to the bolt carrier, or you're gonna get an education in how to rivet one back in place.

D'oh!!! :homer:

I already replaced that with one from Tromix -- but I thought that was the "plug" and didn't count toward the parts count!

So I didn't need that Tapco "piston" at all? :unsure:

Color me embarrased!

Edited by HardShell

Correctomungo. The PUCK is the piston in the S-12 "becauseit hasthe grooves" On an AK the rod hasthe grooves so it's the piston as I have been schooled here. The rod or carrier extension is not a 922r part for the S12 the puck is. I got a rod, then found out.

On DINZAG's website it shows how to replace the bolt carrier extension rod, if you so chose to go that route.

Well at least now you have a spare piston. Maybe if you convert a Saiga rifle, you can use it then.

Say what? :eek:

Convert a Saiga rifle with that big ol horse co*k of a rod?

You are aware of the differences 'tween the shotgun and rifle bolt carriers and what they've got screwed into them, right?

I also got one of these rods from MAA thinking it would count towards the 922r parts but it doesn't.

My question is I did the same thing as the OP and thought I could just unscrew it before I noticed that it was pinned. I tugged on the rod a little and it gave me some unscrewing movement. It only moves a very very little, but did I screw it up by doing this or should I be ok? I am worried now that while firing the S 12 I might run into the rod breaking off from the bolt carrier. Is the little bit of movement something that I should fix right now or should I be fine?

Thanks guys.

Edited by gangsta99
I also got one of these rods from MAA thinking it would count towards the 922r parts but it doesn't.

My question is I did the same thing as the OP and thought I could just unscrew it before I noticed that it was pinned. I tugged on the rod a little and it gave me some unscrewing movement. It only moves a very very little, but did I screw it up by doing this or should I be ok? I am worried now that while firing the S 12 I might run into the rod breaking off from the bolt carrier. Is the little bit of movement something that I should fix right now or should I be fine?

Thanks guys.

You should be fine.

The worst that will happen is that the rod will unscrew so far that the bolt no longer locks up.

Well at least now you have a spare piston. Maybe if you convert a Saiga rifle, you can use it then.

Say what? :eek:

Convert a Saiga rifle with that big ol horse co*k of a rod?

You are aware of the differences 'tween the shotgun and rifle bolt carriers and what they've got screwed into them, right?

:beaten:

I've admitted over and over that I pretty much know nothing about S12's in recent posts, since picking mine up. I guess that still applies :lol: .

I've admitted over and over that I pretty much know nothing about S12's in recent posts, since picking mine up. I guess that still applies :lol: .

The reason the puck is considered the gas piston on the shotgun is due to the gas rings on it. This is on the bolt carrier on a rifle, and the S-12 has a seperate part. Using the shotgun [operating rod] on a rifle would leave you with a piston with no gas rings. I don't think it would function well.

The reason the puck is considered the gas piston on the shotgun is due to the gas rings on it. This is on the bolt carrier on a rifle, and the S-12 has a seperate part. Using the shotgun [operating rod] on a rifle would leave you with a piston with no gas rings. I don't think it would function well.

That makes sense.

<---Still learning the ways of the 12ga.

I think it is damn irresponsible for MAA to continue to list that as a 922r countable part. I wonder how many others they've sucked into buying one?

I know that the chance of getting picked up on a 922r violation is slim, but what happens if somebody is counting on that part to be legal?

IT IS A 922R PART!

Just for the rifles, not the shotgun.

. . . and this is the Saiga-12 shotgun subforum (not a Saiga rifle subforum)

It is damned irresponsible for Tapco to prey on the ignorant with this, especially with a Federal crime possibly involved.

Im confused here as well. Does anyone have any pictures of the puck, operating rod and piston? I bought a usa made gas piston about 3 yrs ago when first buying my saiga 12 it is marked usa on it and I thought I could screw it om and have a us part, or so was thought at the time. So your saying my 5'' stainless thingy that sscrews to the end of the bolt carrier doesnt count as a us part?

Im confused here as well. Does anyone have any pictures of the puck, operating rod and piston? I bought a usa made gas piston about 3 yrs ago when first buying my saiga 12 it is marked usa on it and I thought I could screw it om and have a us part, or so was thought at the time. So your saying my 5'' stainless thingy that sscrews to the end of the bolt carrier doesnt count as a us part?

If you bought it 3 years ago, it's probably for a rifle.

Guys, you need to make sure you are not confusing terminolgy or creating new parts.

There is no such thing as a Op rod when talking about a AK (rifle or shotgun).

Go here and read my post about the S12 gas piston:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry316520

If you bought it 3 years ago, it's probably for a rifle.

No, its for a saiga 12. I bought two, of some of the first USA ones made.A guy on some gun forum made them, not shure who, cause it was so long ago. Does it count? At the time it was considered a part, and an important one if you wanted to do a russian folder. This was before of the days of U.S. mags. I feel I got ripped off, when I paid $85 for my russian 8 rounders. I want to just add a us pg stock combo and not do the conversion on my 12 and need more us parts right if I want to use my russian 8 rndrs right?

I think it is damn irresponsible for MAA to continue to list that as a 922r countable part. I wonder how many others they've sucked into buying one?

I know that the chance of getting picked up on a 922r violation is slim, but what happens if somebody is counting on that part to be legal?

Hello to all ! This is my first post. I bought my saiga 12 about a week ago and trusted Tapco and MAA and bought the so called gas piston thinking it was an easy compliance part, I almost installed it today but was hesitant about drilling on my new gun. I am going to contact MAA about sending this so called gas piston back for a refund. Then I'll get the real piston and just drop it in.