Furniture Stain.....

My AK is getting redone by a local Smith..

He's ordered the furniture, and is going to get it to me so I can finish it.

It's a Chinese AK, and I'm on the fence as to what I should stain it with(how dark, hue, etc). HE recommended a darker amber..

Anybody stained their own Furniture?? got pics of it and what stain you used??

ALSO.. clear coat or no?? Don't know if the glossy appearance of the protective clear will go over well or not..LOL.

Help me make up my mind :ded:

Thanks.

stain it WHATEVER COLOR YOUR HEART DESIRES!!!!

Thats the beauty of it being YOUR GUN... you can make it your own!!

Hell... I want one stained with BLUE wood... I just never got around to doing it yet... Kinda the blue hue at the top of the forum where the Saiga forum logo is... I think the black and blue would be very cool... I did another laminate set in dark green... that looked very cool as well... in the house it looked almost black, out in the sun it was dark forest green and dark brown alternating bands. Then again... I like blonde sets too... just a little urethane over light wood, and its done... others have done blood red... camo... the sky is the limit!!!! :up:

:smoke:

• 4 weeks later...

I've stained my own. I used Minwax stains. I strongly recommend you buy a full set: stain prep, stain, and sealant. Even on the same kind of wood, it may not take the stain quite the same way unless you stain prep it. Here's an example

Minwax Sedona Red on Romanian wood. I stained both handguards and stock myself. I did not use stain prep. The stock took it well. The handguards did not. I will need to get some stain prep if I wish to attain the deep red I desire:

SaigaWood.jpg

I believe staining your own is both a worthwhile and rewarding experience. You can get beautiful results and a rifle you can feel proud of.

Chinese? How about red/yellow, with their flag on the buttstock?

I've agreed with you on many things, especially the irony of "patriots" buying shit at Wallyworld, but not this one. This comment is far below the good insight I normally see you post. I've got a Mauser K98, should I paint it black with a bright white swastika? The fact is many AK variants came from Communist or Communist associated countries. Is he a communist? I highly doubt it, I'd venture to guess that he would, if needed, defend the country with said weapon. Frankly, it doesn't matter where the firearm came from, it is the intent of the user.

Back on topic, I kind of like a green or dark blue stain, make your weapon as personal to you as you feel necessary; there is a lot of generic stuff out there, it is refreshing to see someone who put a lot of their time in to make something original. Per clear coating, it depends on the quality of the wood. If you went with some nice quality stuff, you may not want to clear coat it, since the texture should be nice to grip.

I bought a can of Minwax Veridian Green stain almost a year ago to stain my Laminated RPK furniture on my S308 but I can't decide if that would look as good as I think it will.I might just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Chinese? How about red/yellow, with their flag on the buttstock?

I've agreed with you on many things, especially the irony of "patriots" buying shit at Wallyworld, but not this one. This comment is far below the good insight I normally see you post. I've got a Mauser K98, should I paint it black with a bright white swastika? The fact is many AK variants came from Communist or Communist associated countries. Is he a communist? I highly doubt it, I'd venture to guess that he would, if needed, defend the country with said weapon. Frankly, it doesn't matter where the firearm came from, it is the intent of the user.

It's a JOKE..... Lighten up. Besides, think of the looks it would get. One of the guys on here has an AR painted up in a Hello Kitty motif.

As far as your Mauser goes? Sure. Why not? But I'd go with black and white winter camo, using the Swastika as the design, overlaid in a random pattern. :D

Thanks guys.. I ended up going with a Home Depot mix called "China Red"...LOL. Fitting for the Chinese AK. Actually a nice color once it was on the Furniture, nice reddish tint(see quite a few reddish AK's.. liked that look).. two coats of clear to protect it too. I'm happy with it.

Dropped it off to the AK gunsmith yesterday. Can't wait to get it back, he's had it since Nov. :(

I'll post up some pics once I get it back.

Edited by Madcat455
  • 4 weeks later...

Sacs.... That's a nice color!!!!

I just realized that I forgot to post in my own thread what I went with.

Home depot mix.. "China Red".

I really like the way it turned out on my NHM-91... AKUSA did a bang up job re/furbin her too, like a new gun(well.. better probably) :wub:

100_0273.jpg

Edited by Madcat455