Went on a little hunting trip here in Arizona, and got my first javelina kill. I took my first shot at 100 yards, and hit, but it patterned low and only hit a leg. While chasing it down, I fell, dropped my rifle, and broke my scope. I had to finish it with iron sights, and was glad I was using a quick-release scope mount. My first shot went high. After that, I corrected on the fly and drilled it perfectly through both shoulders. It hit the heart, and both lungs. Dead right there.

JavelinaKill.jpg

Mike,

Great photo and post! I think we need a dedicated Hunting section in forum-Saiga-12.

What ammo did you use? Did you damage the rifle when you went down? That baby saginov still looks great!

When you skin it out let us know what damage the shoulder shot did.

first blood is good. ;)

Rifle is fine. Small nick on the stock's finish, but I can paint a bit of stain over it and it'll be good as new. I used Black Hills 68-grain moly-coated hollowpoints. I won't be using that again, though. Those hollowpoints might as well have been FMJ against a javelina. The shoulder shot didn't do hardly any damage. It passed clean through. I'd hit the thing 3 times in total trying to finish it off. That sucker ran like you wouldn't believe. Had to chase it a long ways over rugged terrain.

Rifle is fine. Small nick on the stock's finish, but I can paint a bit of stain over it and it'll be good as new. I used Black Hills 68-grain moly-coated hollowpoints. I won't be using that again, though. Those hollowpoints might as well have been FMJ against a javelina. The shoulder shot didn't do hardly any damage. It passed clean through. I'd hit the thing 3 times in total trying to finish it off. That sucker ran like you wouldn't believe. Had to chase it a long ways over rugged terrain.

Great pic, great job.

Your smile says you're having fun!

That ammo, although a hollow point, is more of a target load, than a hunting load. If you can, or know anyone that reloads... load up some Barnes X bullets... Those will take your quarry down instantly. :up:

Nice hunting!!! Enjoy the spoils of victory... YUMMM..... BACON!!!!! LOL

:smoke:

Nice Javelina, they are fast little fuckers arnt they.

Gotta get that scope dialed in BEFORE the hunt. .223 with optics at 100 yards, that sucker should have been shot perfect. And you found out why hunters spend so much on quality optics. Great recovery though and a pretty big pig too!

When my daughter saw a picture of a Javelin I killed several years ago she said; "Dad, why did you shoot that giant hamster?"

MTW,

the nick will always remind you of the hunt and will mean more as the years go by. I used to hunt slopes (prong horns) with Nossler 62 gr solid base and they would punch through anything and caused great damage on the way. The Barnes is a great choice as well. As the velocity increases the bullet construction on small bore is more critical.

When ya going again?

Frosty

Nice Javelina, they are fast little fuckers arnt they.

Gotta get that scope dialed in BEFORE the hunt. .223 with optics at 100 yards, that sucker should have been shot perfect. And you found out why hunters spend so much on quality optics. Great recovery though and a pretty big pig too!

When my daughter saw a picture of a Javelin I killed several years ago she said; "Dad, why did you shoot that giant hamster?"

It was dialed in, and I'm not certain what happened. I'm guessing the pig took a step right as I shot it, and the shot hit his leg instead of his chest. Which makes perfect sense given how their legs work; the joint would have been right where I was aiming had he stepped just then.

Haha, giant hamster. Very nice.

MTW,

the nick will always remind you of the hunt and will mean more as the years go by. I used to hunt slopes (prong horns) with Nossler 62 gr solid base and they would punch through anything and caused great damage on the way. The Barnes is a great choice as well. As the velocity increases the bullet construction on small bore is more critical.

When ya going again?

Frosty

I may put in for mule deer this fall. I'll be using my PSL for that, though. A 7.62x54R soft point should drop one just fine.

Things learned from this hunt:

1. Try to avoid dropping your rifle.

2. Get a muzzle brake. That thing was bump firing unintentionally. I'll be putting a brake on it to kill the recoil and prevent that from happening again.