BEST AA or 123A powered Green Laser system available?

a lot of people seem to jump on the "name" bandwagon here... let me be blunt.

The guts of a laser are all the same... I can buy 10 dollar lasers from hong kong that are brighter than the one I have to mount on a gun.

I would say buy the cheapest one you can find... sportsmans guide has them for 50 bucks.

:smoke:

I would tend to agree with Indy. I suppose you may get somewhat higher quality with a $300 laser, but is it hundreds of dollars better? Probably not. I think that no matter what you buy it has a chance of failing on you so why not have it be a cheaper one. I bought three of the NCSTAR green lasers. They work great, look great, and have all the needed acessories. I use two and have one for a spare and I'm still only into it by $150.

EDIT: Looks like they have gone up a little in price but here is one for 70.00 w/free shipping

NCSTAR Green Laser on ebay

Edited by DogMan
I have an aimshot that has been good. Insanely bright. Look at the output levels. They are priced accordingly. I think I paid $350 a couple of years ago. A friend of mine just bought a $165 aimshot and mine is a good bit brighter. Noticeably.

Bring it on by... I will challenge yours to my 10 dollar one for pinks... ( the laser itself...) Just dont be surprised if you go home empty handed...

I am not saying an Aimshot is a bad product.. I just dont think you have tested it against some of the newer cheaper models out there...

I dont care WHAT they say... the one I got says its a 35 mw output... I have another with

Anyone can stick a label on them saying whatever they want...

When you get one that will pop dark colored balloons or light matches... then yeah... you are getting into the higher powered ones, and should be spending about $350 for one that will light matches on fire. :up:

http://www.dragonlasers.com

Otherwise... the $50.00 ones at sportsmansguide will give you a bright dot in full sun on a nice clear sunny summer day at noon at 100 yards plus. NO PROBLEM!

:smoke:

You wouldn't happen to be the member of an elite security force somewhere in the states that its true location will never be known, would you? :ph34r:

My FFL didn't give me the nickname "dirtyharriett" for nothing ya know... LMAO. To answer your question ... YES... we are members of an elite unit of Rambo wannabe, gun worshiping, firing range junkies, weapon lovers to the bone. We are lifelong gun enthusiasts who enjoy watching movies on the couch while practicing mag changes and dry firing with snap caps. We have expertly killed more paper targets than you can imagine. Does this answer your question... lol... dirtharriett

Edited by dirtyharriett

Indy is inviting you to a Sucker's bet! He is telling you the truth about lasers. The Aimshot is only 5mW or less. Mine was measured at 42 mW. It will blot out a 5 mW the way a candle outshines the sun.

On the other had the folks that are Modding these are just cutting back on a Resistance value and some particular units will lase at a much higher output then others. But you are driving the diode harder and running it a long time like that, specially considering the heat sink is the same, well kill it faster. Caveat emptor!

Dirtyharriett sounds like somebody who used to run with the Ma Barker gang, lol. I should have mentioned that I only have lasers on my Sig 556 pistol and a shotgun so they aren't intended for precision shooting, only for getting on target quickly with reasonable accuracy at short range. So far they have stayed pretty much in line with my iron sights. View everthing I said from that perspective. I would like to see that test, though, so I know how much to invest in my next laser that I'll be mounting on my Robinson XCR. On that one I'll probably be a little more fussy.

I don't know much about lasers, but the cheap ass BRONS green laser that came with a gun didn't last through the first mag on a UMP. I'm not sure if they're airsoft junk or what. Whatever they are, I surely wouldn't buy one.

You wouldn't happen to be the member of an elite security force somewhere in the states that its true location will never be known, would you? :ph34r:

My FFL didn't give me the nickname "dirtyharriett" for nothing ya know... LMAO. To answer your question ... YES... we are members of an elite unit of Rambo wannabe, gun worshiping, firing range junkies, weapon lovers to the bone. We are lifelong gun enthusiasts who enjoy watching movies on the couch while practicing mag changes and dry firing with snap caps. We have expertly killed more paper targets than you can imagine. Does this answer your question... lol... dirtharriett

Yeah an admitted mall ninja! I love it...lol By the way I am the President Lance Captain Sergeant of an elite securtiy force that gaurds the Ben and Jerrys against terroristic attacks. I love the tacticool stuff too.

Mall Ninja Apptitude test

InternetCommando.jpg

If you are not in a hurry (long shipping), you can get a good one on ebay from a vendor based in Hong-kong for about $50.

Though, there is two important things everyone must understand:

1. A good green laser will give your position at night as soon as you turn it on (visible ray)

2. The reflection on a shiny object or mirror from a powerful green laser (>25mW) can and likely will permanently damage your retina (reason why I won't scratch the hitch).

If you are not in a hurry (long shipping), you can get a good one on ebay from a vendor based in Hong-kong for about $50.

Though, there is two important things everyone must understand:

1. A good green laser will give your position at night as soon as you turn it on (visible ray)

Firing your weapon will give away your position as well...

2. The reflection on a shiny object or mirror from a powerful green laser (>25mW) can and likely will permanently damage your retina (reason why I won't scratch the hitch).

25-50 mW of a green or visible red laser is very unlikely to damage anyone's retina from refraction, specially in the fractions of a second before the blink reflex kicks in.

• 9 months later...

Aimshot does have the weatherproofing over NCStar...unless I'm unaware of the fact that the NCStars are water-resistant. Aimshot also claims on their site to have a better module design, so I wonder how much of that is corporate sales BS. Regardless, the Aimshot has dropped in price significantly and might warrant a purchase over the NCStar if it indeed will last longer and be weather resistant.

I have some of those hongkong lasers, the first one of the bunch I bought and then resold to guys at work was built very well, but when I talked to the guy about a pack of 10, those lasers were cheaper and the guts were not as good, but they still worked great and I had lots of happy customers having laser pointer fights at work. ;)

One thing that sucked about them were they were pulse lasers, and not a solid beam, but that really does not matter unless you want to "hack" the laser to cut crap. :D

Also I have a cheap AIM laser I got off of ebay for about $20, it's a rail mount that runs off of a 123, quality is the same as the cheap ones I got direct from hongkong, but it fits into a 1in ring.

I have never had an issue with it, and I would buy another.

Generally, after you get finished playing with it, a laser is something that you leave on your firearm for long periods of time without using it. Therefore I prefer the 123A batteries as they last a lot longer then the cheaper AA batteries and are not prone to leaking acid during long storage.

I would recommend Aimshot green lasers. They are built to military spec quality and materials. I researched as many high quality manufactures as I could, and they are one of the few that are assembled in the USA, unfortunately all lasers use parts made from China.