Somewhat Strange Saiga 12 5rd Mag

So, I was at the gunshow this weekend, and I picked up a saiga 5rd mag that has weird feed lips on it...

They kinda curve down in the back and trap the rim of the shell. I tried cycling, and letting it slam home worked fine, but if you ride it just a little, the bolt hangs up on the cartridge.... I always let it slam home anyways, but it seemed like a wierd design to me. Is it some old thing that they got rid of? The Ishmash logo is smaller on this one. The guy who had it said he bought his saiga ages ago.... (like 5 years)

So, anyone else have mags like this? Do they work alright?

Christ, that sounds like most of the five rounders I own. :unsure:

Do you push the rim of the shotshell straight down in the back of the feed lips to load it, or push the round down and back like most normal magazines load?

And yeah, they work just fine after getting them loaded and locked. :killer:

This post is worthless without pics. :)

Nope, never seen other forms, but that doesn't mean anything.

This post is now Awesome. thanks Salmonaxe.

Pretty cool, now I can't say I've never seen one. I wonder if it was a beta version that didn't cut it for some strange reason.

Curious to know how it works with live fire.

I am glad someone else has seen this, I too have different feed lips on 1 of my 3 mags, it seemed to me that the odd one had a tendancy to have the feed lips "pop" off the clip when under pressure of rounds, a little industrial adhesive fixed that! :smoke:

Yep, when I bought my Saiga-12 used that is the kind of mag it came with. I was having the same trouble with FTF, so I ordered two new ones, that don't trap the rim, and now all three seem to work fine!

I did notice the piece popping off like you described - putting it back in place made things work better, too.

I like the new design better, FWIW.

flcracker