Will a Tantal stock fit on my converted (trigger moved) S12?

I have a converted S12 on order with a standard AK stock. I don't have the money to have it shipped with a folder. They are pricey. I definitely want to get one down the road, though.

Tantal "wire" stocks look ridiculous but they are cheap and STURDY. Will I need an adapter to fit it to my receiver?

Anybody know of other cheap folder options? I've even seen underfolders on these, but that sounds painful. Well, so does a Tantal stock.

While I'm at it, doesn't 12ga recoil put a lot of stress on the pins that lock those pointless CAR-15 "empty buffer tube" stocks everybody is putting on everything from lever-action rifles to refrigerators nowadays?

I have a converted S12 on order with a standard AK stock. I don't have the money to have it shipped with a folder. They are pricey. I definitely want to get one down the road, though.

Tantal "wire" stocks look ridiculous but they are cheap and STURDY. Will I need an adapter to fit it to my receiver?

Anybody know of other cheap folder options? I've even seen underfolders on these, but that sounds painful. Well, so does a Tantal stock.

While I'm at it, doesn't 12ga recoil put a lot of stress on the pins that lock those pointless CAR-15 "empty buffer tube" stocks everybody is putting on everything from lever-action rifles to refrigerators nowadays?

they will fit, i just put one on my converted S12 last night. It looks great IMO and really cuts down the overall size of the gun. Just throw a AK gernade launcher recoil pad on the end of it before you shoot it. If it can absorb the recoil from a 40mm gernade launcher then it will work great on a 12 gauge.

+1 on the recoil pad. Not just to take the punch out, it makes the stock plant and stay MUCH better than just the metal end. Also a good addition to underfolders and crappy Tapco fixed stocks for the same reason. (crappy as in "they like to slide around").

I saw a guy on Ebay selling an external block setup for an AK that allowed use of the typical AK underfolder. I've never cared for the feel of those personally (I had one on an AK rifle). I can imagine the recoil of a 12 ga would be even MORE uncomfortable. :cryss:

I'm not sure if that block would place the butt of the stock too much into the mag well area when folded though. It might. Regardless, I don't think I'd want to take one of the most uncomfortable AK stocks made and use it with a shotgun. Call me a wuss, but I don't think it would not be comfortable.

As far as AR stocks on Saigas, I've seen some that I thought looked nice. I've seen several that I personally didn't like, but it's not my shotgun. As long as the owner likes it, then more power to 'em.

Corbin

I wondered how hard it would be to make an external receiver block that could take an ATI top folder. Or something that could bolt onto an internal block. Here's a pic I just found doing a google search:

Top_Folding_Shotgun_Stock_SG-MTF4900-ATI-LG400.JPG

Might be cool on a Saiga 12. You'd have to measure the width of an 870 receiver and compare that to a Saiga though, since the stock goes over the top of the receiver on the sides a little.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin

Corbin, I have the ati top folder on my Winchester Defender. Problems I see, you could not move your trigger group forward and use the stock. Also, the width of the stock is slightly smaller the the receiver on the saiga. But I'm sure some could make an adapter. Good luck, if u find something that works, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...
they will fit, i just put one on my converted S12 last night. It looks great IMO and really cuts down the overall size of the gun. Just throw a AK gernade launcher recoil pad on the end of it before you shoot it. If it can absorb the recoil from a 40mm gernade launcher then it will work great on a 12 gauge.

I'm still curious about this, could you post pics of yours? Do you have the AK grenade pad? Thanks!

If I were to use a top folding stock, I'd remove the existing pistol grip from it and just bolt the stock onto an adapter that would go onto a receiver block/Tromix plate. Probably have to make something custom.

For now, I'm going with a Tromix side folder with Limbsaver. The top folder will be one of several accessories I'll continue thinking about and maybe design (if I can't find anything else). That, along with my ambidextrious safety, auto adjusting gas plug, custom muzzle break w/ bayo lug and a few other things.

Now to figure out a belt fed feature......LOL

Corbin

• 4 weeks later...