Ok, so our local gun shop has a sale on guns:

Glock .40 compact for $519

S&W M&P 9mm compact for $489

NOt sure which to get. THe guy says that the glock is a faster shooter, but is it really that much faster? he also said he'd go for the Glock because of reliability, but i think he was going on reputation b/c he also said he has had no reliability problems with either of them(he owns both, personally). i'd realy like a .45 but at these prices(they seem to be very good?) the 9mm is cheaper. How about the .40? also, i'd rather have the .40 for knock-down vs. the 9mm, but i would think the 9mm is much more widely available....? This is the last pistol i will get for a long time. If i go for one, it will be tommorrow. Any thoughts or whatnot would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Ok, so our local gun shop has a sale on guns:

Glock .40 compact for $519

S&W M&P 9mm compact for $489

NOt sure which to get. THe guy says that the glock is a faster shooter, but is it really that much faster? he also said he'd go for the Glock because of reliability, but i think he was going on reputation b/c he also said he has had no reliability problems with either of them(he owns both, personally). i'd realy like a .45 but at these prices(they seem to be very good?) the 9mm is cheaper. How about the .40? also, i'd rather have the .40 for knock-down vs. the 9mm, but i would think the 9mm is much more widely available....? This is the last pistol i will get for a long time. If i go for one, it will be tommorrow. Any thoughts or whatnot would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

If you are going 40 cal there is no difference.The Glock was designed as a 9mm before 40 Short and Weak ever existed and the 40 cal Glock is an afterthought and the main source of any valid criticism of Glocks period is based on anecdotal experiences of 40 caliber users.

I had to rent an M&P, Glock 21, Glock 21S, and a XD all full size in .45ACP and shoot them side by side to make a choice.

I went with the M&P.

1. More ergonomic, I can swap the grips to fit my hand. The XD was a close second and one of the new XDM's may be better.

2. Points great, I could close my eyes point the M&P and when I opened my eyes the sights were almost perfectly lined up with what ever I was looking at. None of the others did this.

3. Thumb safety, not vital but I'm used to having it on my 1911's

4. Between the ergonomics and the point ability I could put all 10 rounds in 10 seconds on a head sized target at 20m. The others I was just able to keep on a torso.

5. Kick, the XD had more roll as the bore is higher, the Glocks and M&P were about the same with the M&P feeling better due to the grip.

6. My only grip was the 10+1 on the M&P vs 14+1 for the Glocks and XD. But with the M&P handling faster and more accurate I felt that the extra 4 rounds didn't make up for other lacking areas.

The M&P I got is flat DE with a Black slide, Tritium night sights and 2 mags cost about $550.

I don't know what the price points are for the Glocks and XD with Night sights as price point is the last factor I look at when selecting a firearm I plan to steak my life on.

Also I've but several hundred rounds down range with the M&P the only malfunction was a couple duds, it even ate some old cast semi wadcutter that judging from the smoke when fired seemed like black powder.

Edited by KrisFox

I own a M&P40c and a glock 26 (9mm subcompact). I love Smith, I have three Smith revolver and love them, but I wish I could say I'm as happy as most other people seem to be with the M&P. Unfortunately.....I have this issue with it........ occasionally the slide will lock back before the mag is empty. It seems that the slide lock is being unintentionally engaged. I've heard from others who've had this issue. This is the only type of failure I've had with it. Over 500 rds fired....... bought new. I'm planning on selling it soon.

On the other hand my Glock 26 has never failed me in any way. I load it up and it empties mags, that just what it does.

I'm fortunate to have been able to buy a few different guns and test them out on my own schedule to see what worked best for me. That is my advice to anyone who's capable of doing so. If not.....renting is a good second.

as always....ymmv

49gmc

That xd is extremely tempting.... but im looking for a carry gun. i think that might be too big for me to lug around.

i think they are saying it is a compact mode.

i have the xd-9 wish the grip was a little larger, for my hand.

honestly wish i could trade it in for that .45

Put them in your hand and find out. Although I'd say you put a Glock 9mm in your hand and an M&P 9mm in your hand, Glock + 40 = fail.

And if you get to try them both out, remember this:

~If the Glock fails to operate correctly, ignore it and never admit to it. It is the fault of the shooter, the ammo, etc.

~If the S&W fails to operate correctly, bash it with a brick, because that gun sucks.

Does there really need to be a Glock thread every week? They are all fine, if it's a name brand aside from the Sigma (yes I know about the lawsuit between smith and Glock over the Sigma)and some of the other fly by night brands or models, they are all fine. As far as the Glock in 40 being a problem, bottom line.....those people are talking out of their ass. They're jealous that there is something either they can't have, can't afford or can't understand. It has been said thousands of times and I'll say it again; there is a reason most LE shoots .40ca and there is a reason most of those are G22's.

I love Glock's, but I am stating that as my opinion which is based on years and years and thousands of rounds of experience. There are other guns out there that are just as good if not better, depending on what feels good in your hand. I all boils down to if you are having problems with a semi auto locking back or FTEing.....tighten your wrist brace.

I own a M&P40c and a glock 26 (9mm subcompact). I love Smith, I have three Smith revolver and love them, but I wish I could say I'm as happy as most other people seem to be with the M&P. Unfortunately.....I have this issue with it........ occasionally the slide will lock back before the mag is empty. It seems that the slide lock is being unintentionally engaged. I've heard from others who've had this issue. This is the only type of failure I've had with it. Over 500 rds fired....... bought new. I'm planning on selling it soon.

On the other hand my Glock 26 has never failed me in any way. I load it up and it empties mags, that just what it does.

I'm fortunate to have been able to buy a few different guns and test them out on my own schedule to see what worked best for me. That is my advice to anyone who's capable of doing so. If not.....renting is a good second.

as always....ymmv

49gmc

I'm sure if you call S&W they can fix your 40C.

Otherwise I may consider taking it off your hands and calling S&W. :ph34r:

Put them in your hand and find out. Although I'd say you put a Glock 9mm in your hand and an M&P 9mm in your hand, Glock + 40 = fail.

And if you get to try them both out, remember this:

~If the Glock fails to operate correctly, ignore it and never admit to it. It is the fault of the shooter, the ammo, etc.

~If the S&W fails to operate correctly, bash it with a brick, because that gun sucks.

Just not gonna let it go are ya? :rolleyes: That's OK brother, I was anal retentive once.

Please pay no heed to Twinsen, all guns suck except for the ones he has.

Now back to the thread......

I don't have an XD or an M&P, they're both good guns.

Oh, and I'm not going to "let it go" because when somebody asks about two guns, I assume they want to hear opinions, not just positives and people saying anyone that doesn't like Glocks is a liar. There are many things I do not like about them, and there are very few guns out there that I feel so strongly against. I can't think of any I'm half as much against off the top of my head though.

Edited by Twinsen
Oh, and I'm not going to "let it go" because when somebody asks about two guns, I assume they want to hear opinions, not just positives and people saying anyone that doesn't like Glocks is a liar. There are many things I do not like about them, and there are very few guns out there that I feel so strongly against. I can't think of any I'm half as much against off the top of my head though.

Very true, I've fired my share of guns (or maybe not enough), I don't prefer Glocks, they just don't feel good in my hand. I fired a friend's Glock and it was so uncomfortable, to me, that I barely hit the target with it; maybe if I had practiced with it for a few hundred rounds, I would have done better, I just didn't feel like wasting the ammo. The friend who loaned it to me loved it, so do some other friends. I don't have any experience with the M&P, just wanted to give you my POV on the other.

Sensitive thread this is...kool aid drinkers on all sides will say this is better then that. But, both of them are good, I prefer the smith because it fits my hand better and you can swap the mag release from one side to the other for lefties. The smith has a supported barrel and a metal supported frame. I had a glock, and it shot great without flaws, but i prefer the smith. Go with what you can handle better

as always....ymmv

49gmc

Smith & Wesson give a Liftime Warranty on there M&P's.

as always....ymmv

49gmc

Smith & Wesson give a Liftime Warranty on there M&P's.

So does Hyundai but that doesn't mean I am going to trade a Toyota Landcruiser in on Hyundai Santa Fe,LOL

The M&P might be a fine pistol and in another 20 years I might be convinced to try one but in the mean time one of the few pistols I ever regretted buying was a 4013 for my wife which couldn't make it through 4 magazines without a malfunction.

Once bitten,twice shy ;)

• 2 months later...