Tromix or Ace?

I am having a Saiga 12 converted. This is my first long gun. I do not know if I should get the Tromix or Ace stock. What is your opinion and why?

As far as folders go, do I want one? I am interested, I think, in the most solid stock I can get. So would that mean I should forego the folder? What are the benefits to the folder besides smaller storage size? Are there any tradeoffs?

BTW, I've read this thread http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mode=linearplus Trying to see if anyone has anymore ideas.

Thanks,

Jack

• 2 months later...
I am having a Saiga 12 converted. This is my first long gun. I do not know if I should get the Tromix or Ace stock. What is your opinion and why?

As far as folders go, do I want one? I am interested, I think, in the most solid stock I can get. So would that mean I should forego the folder? What are the benefits to the folder besides smaller storage size? Are there any tradeoffs?

BTW, I've read this thread http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mode=linearplus Trying to see if anyone has anymore ideas.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm a believer in folders. I have an FN-FAL "Para" that has a factory folding buttstock. When open and locked, it's solid as a rock, and suitable for buttstroking if necessary, whereas depending on a number of variables, a synthetic may not be.

My S 12 has an Ace folder also, and it locks up as solid as the FAL. The good part about having a folder is that you have a choice. You can leave the buttstock extended and ready to shoulder and fire instantly if you want, or can fold it for more compactness when transporting or carrying. Personally, I prefer having a choice whenever possible on any aspect of converting/building guns of any kind.

Is the Tromix metal or synthetic? If synthetic what sort? Well, just ordered one I will find out myself.

Just got it from CSS. It is made from one of those high tech carbon filled plastics, very light, strong, tough stuff. The large butt piece on it fits well and seems to reduce felt recoil quite well. (Only tried it with low bass stuff so far. Still leaves horizontal red marks on my shoulder but not even slight discomfort. We will see what slugs do.)

I prefer folding stocks, but some don't need or want one.

As to the Tromix vs Ace question, it does not matter. Both are great stocks, pick the one that you like. If it is still a toss-up, Tromix IS a vendor...

I agree with the previous posters that both the Tromix and ACE stocks are great stocks. I like the 1" recoil pad available on the ACE stocks, but have an Tromix stock (my friend Richard Lage makes them for Tony) on my M11/Nine subgun. Both work very well and are nicely executed.

As far as folders go, the non-pushbutton ACE folder is the best one I've seen yet. It is rock solid. The main advantage to a folding stock is the space saving with transport and storage. I don't find it all that handy with shooting.

Jake

I just wish I knew where to find a recoil pad for my Ace folder that doesn't require cutting, grinding, or fitting.

I'd like to just unscrew the existing relatively thin pad and replace it with one that would soften recoil.

I've got the Tromix on my S-12, with a non-button folding mechanism. I've used ACE folders on other weapons before, but not on the Saiga, so I can only comment on how solid the Tromix feels. I BELIEVE I read somewhere that the Tromix has an internal metal insert running down its length, but I can't find the post that said that. Mine has the Limbsaver pad.

As far as folding vs. non-folding, I personally like the option of a more compact setup for travel or storage. I suppose there might be a few circumstances where I'd want to fire the weapon with the stock folded, but 99% of the time, I'd recommend keeping it extended while shooting.

The pros and cons of a folder:

Pros:

* Can be transported in a smaller container that might not look like a gun case (guitar case?).

* Might help provide quick manueverability in confined areas.

* Looks tacti-cool. This could be a Pro or a Con, depending on who sees it.

Cons:

* Costs a bit more.

* May not be legal in your State.

* The folding mechanism will add another inch to the LOP, if that matters to you.

* When folded, the firearm will be thicker because of the width of the stock.

It all comes down to personal choice.

Corbin

Edited by Corbin