A fix for promags

After waiting several weeks my 5 promags arivied and guess what . yes thats right they would not feed at all turned my semi auto into a single shot. So heres why and how to fix them.. Dam things are to narrow a 12 guage slug sheel measured at .807 inches in dia. the promags have a opening of .761 (aint going to fit) mike drum measured at .836 ( guess thats why they work) factory mag measured out at .819 We need a bigger opening. to I planed a 1/1 down to .823 and cut off 2 sections one 20 inches and one 2 3/4 the short one i beveled the ends at about 30 degrees or so. Dissamble the mags leave the steel feed lips in place. I then placed the short wood block in the top of the promag tucking one end up under the steel feed lips with the rest of going across the top. I then jammed the 20 inch (wooden mag spacer) up through the bottom untill it bottomed out on the upper (wooden mag spacer or wms) then I placed them in a large pot of boiling water. It was not hot enough. However the wood swelled up perhaps this helped maybee it did not . I heated an oven up to 400 degrees and placed the mag with the soaking wet wms's stilled in place and waited about 7 minutes and checked them . the mag body was some what pliable so I removed the assembly fro the oven. yes I was wearing gloves at this thime I noticed water in the mags (from the wood) I quickly placed the entire assembly in to a cool bucket of water. after it cooled I removed the wms. Loaded them mags and srtipped the rounds off as fast as i could. works perfectly. I soaked the wms in water each time I placed them in a mag then placed the assembly in the oven. Hope this helps. I took some pictures and will try to pst them.

After waiting several weeks my 5 promags arivied and guess what . yes thats right they would not feed at all turned my semi auto into a single shot. So heres why and how to fix them.. Dam things are to narrow a 12 guage slug sheel measured at .807 inches in dia. the promags have a opening of .761 (aint going to fit) mike drum measured at .836 ( guess thats why they work) factory mag measured out at .819 We need a bigger opening. to I planed a 1/1 down to .823 and cut off 2 sections one 20 inches and one 2 3/4 the short one i beveled the ends at about 30 degrees or so. Dissamble the mags leave the steel feed lips in place. I then placed the short wood block in the top of the promag tucking one end up under the steel feed lips with the rest of going across the top. I then jammed the 20 inch (wooden mag spacer) up through the bottom untill it bottomed out on the upper (wooden mag spacer or wms) then I placed them in a large pot of boiling water. It was not hot enough. However the wood swelled up perhaps this helped maybee it did not . I heated an oven up to 400 degrees and placed the mag with the soaking wet wms's stilled in place and waited about 7 minutes and checked them . the mag body was some what pliable so I removed the assembly fro the oven. yes I was wearing gloves at this thime I noticed water in the mags (from the wood) I quickly placed the entire assembly in to a cool bucket of water. after it cooled I removed the wms. Loaded them mags and srtipped the rounds off as fast as i could. works perfectly. I soaked the wms in water each time I placed them in a mag then placed the assembly in the oven. Hope this helps. I took some pictures and will try to pst them.

That seems like a lot of work. Dn't they have a warrenty?

Damn dude, that is a lot of hassle :unsure:

I'd sent the b'tards back to the manufacturer.

One word... Surefire.

Every one of my Surefires has fit into my S12 and performed well, right out of the bag.

MD's drum took a VERY minor fitting, and has performed flawlessly.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I have had it with the promags myself. The 8rd surefires have worked flawlessly for me.

Heh... this is definitly another answer to the same problem i see with mine. I just hogged out the mag with a dremel and a sanding drum bit. its still not perfect but i think its to where i can finish it up with a file.

But for what its worth, I would say this makes things pretty offical, we're hearing it from multiple sources. The Promags require the most work to make them functional.

Edited by Nailbomb

One of mine had this issue as well. I basically did the same thing but used a long paint roller extension to spread the top of the mag. It was a little bigger than a 12 shell, but it worked out fine. Stuck it in boiling water for about a minute. Then directly to cold water. I never stuck it in the oven. Seems to work just fine now. I also had to do the cork/fork/hot HOH trick.

This is a great TTP for fixing these mags, but if you could only have one mag would you chose promags and would you trust your life to the realibility of these mags that required this much work to make them functional?

"...would you trust your life to the realibility of these mags that required this much work to make them functional?"
Not I.

I'd definitely trust my MD20 tho :wub:

Edited by ChileRelleno
dammit I bot 4, 10 rounders before I read this , they will be delivered on monday ups

Don't feel bad I bought 10 of them. I am going to test the so called lifetime warrenty tomarrow.

please can you post your outcome . thanks

How the hell does Pro mag stay in business for christ sake? Every forum / board I'm on - EVERYONE hates their shit, cuz its SHIT!

I don't think their S12 mags are shit. Some just need a little work...like almost every other S12 mag out there. My MDA drums took more time and effort to work than my Promags. I guess I shouldn't mind. Keep thinking they're shit so the price stays down. For the $$$ I'll take a little tinkering thank you.

How the hell does Pro mag stay in business for christ sake? Every forum / board I'm on - EVERYONE hates their shit, cuz its SHIT!

I don't think their S12 mags are shit. Some just need a little work...like almost every other S12 mag out there. My MDA drums took more time and effort to work than my Promags. I guess I shouldn't mind. Keep thinking they're shit so the price stays down. For the $$$ I'll take a little tinkering thank you.

AMEN! Same here. To save $20 bucks a mag is worth 10-20 minutes of tinkering to me. Of course I only bought 3, if I had bought 10 I might be a little annoyed too! :haha:

AMEN! Same here. To save $20 bucks a mag is worth 10-20 minutes of tinkering to me. Of course I only bought 3, if I had bought 10 I might be a little annoyed too! :haha:

+1 abviously. It will be interesting to see how their so called lifetime warrently really works. Until I get a promag that works right out of the wrapper, I am sticking with surefire even if it cost a little more.

I just got 2-promags for my S12 and I can't even get them to fit in the mag well. They are very tight. Does anyone know how to mod these these things to make them fit?
Observe where they bind up, and carefully trim small increments, until they fit properly into your gun.

If ammo doesn't feed properly, do the same, see where casing get caught and then correct as needed.

Observe what others have done and what has worked, and decide if your capable or willing to do the same.

I just got 2-promags for my S12 and I can't even get them to fit in the mag well. They are very tight. Does anyone know how to mod these these things to make them fit?
Observe where they bind up, and carefully trim small increments, until they fit properly into your gun.

If ammo doesn't feed properly, do the same, see where casing get caught and then correct as needed.

Observe what others have done and what has worked, and decide if your capable or willing to do the same.

For the price of 10x promags that I would never trust with my life I could have purchased 6x 8rd surefire mags that I could almost bet my soul on.

The only real issue I had was the follower rocking and jamming, and coming up too high. Both issues have been reported to ProMag and their response was changing the mold, and spring. The next generation will be better than the last. My mag bodies required a little minor fitting. I actually prefer this. I have only worked with the 2 3/4 shells so far, as I prefer to enjoy my shooting outings, not get beat up. I have fired over 600 rounds through my saiga during the testing phase of some new parts. The fitting of the mag entailed taking a small amount of material off the front of the mag just under the catch, and removing a small amount off the tabs just above the word "saiga" on the sides.

Edited by rbthntr64

I went through a couple of mine just to see after reading this. Innitial fitting is to be expected (even with factory mags in some cases). I found that the problem described in this thread deals with the area at the back of the mag by the metal tab where the shells ramp up and out. It's a bit tight in this area on mine mostly because the plastic is thinner and there's a lot of "pinch" from the metal tab. I just bent the metal tab open slightly and took the wifes nail file to that area and drag was reduced significantly. If yours is tight in that area, just remove the metal tab and re-check and I'll bet you'll see a big difference. Adjust the tab tension accordingly. IMHO, these are not junk like a lot of Promags, but they do have some issues to be addressed.

I went through a couple of mine just to see after reading this. Innitial fitting is to be expected (even with factory mags in some cases). I found that the problem described in this thread deals with the area at the back of the mag by the metal tab where the shells ramp up and out. It's a bit tight in this area on mine mostly because the plastic is thinner and there's a lot of "pinch" from the metal tab. I just bent the metal tab open slightly and took the wifes nail file to that area and drag was reduced significantly. If yours is tight in that area, just remove the metal tab and re-check and I'll bet you'll see a big difference. Adjust the tab tension accordingly. IMHO, these are not junk like a lot of Promags, but they do have some issues to be addressed.

I understand what you are saying, but i assure you this was not the issue with mine. I can say however i did not have any issues with the follower.

My problem with the ProMag was a rocking follower and not enough spring force, would barely feed the last 3 rounds any more and the angle was wrong and the shell smashed. All 15 or so where I bought it were exactly the same(rocking followers). I was told by promag that the batch may have shrunk when molded. They said they would send me a new follower and spring but I havent recieved them yet.

My problem with the ProMag was a rocking follower and not enough spring force, would barely feed the last 3 rounds any more and the angle was wrong and the shell smashed. All 15 or so where I bought it were exactly the same(rocking followers). I was told by promag that the batch may have shrunk when molded. They said they would send me a new follower and spring but I havent recieved them yet.

disassemble your mag turn it upside down and drop in a loaded shell if it will not fall all the way then the mag is to narrow .

Edited by scarey

dissable your mag turn it upside down and drop in a loaded shell if it will fall all the way then the mag is to narrow .

I just sent all 10x of my promags back to Promag Industries and demanded that they be: repair, replaced, or refunded as per the terms of the lifetime warrenty. For me this fad is over, I am sticking with 8rd surefire mags.

dissable your mag turn it upside down and drop in a loaded shell if it will fall all the way then the mag is to narrow .

I asume you meant if it will NOT fall then the mag is too narrow, and I found I could not get a shell thru it at all, it gets stuck badly almost an inch from the top. I wonder if they even have a quality department?!

I just sent all 10x of my promags back to Promag Industries and demanded that they be: repair, replaced, or refunded as per the terms of the lifetime warrenty. For me this fad is over, I am sticking with 8rd surefire mags.

Let us know how that works out for ya....