I have a Saiga 12 which I use exclusively for defense/security. I only shoot slugs, oo and o4 shot. Would installing a polychoke external adjustable choke be of value to me? To the extent that it would tighten shot patterns, and reduce the risk of collateral damage to nearby property (from stray shot pellets), it may be worth. What do you think?

I put one on one of my S 12's just for that reason. I have a 19" barrel, and I like the much better now. Slugs ran fine.

The instructions I got with my Polychoak say to run "slugs" with choak wide open, which is the same as no choak. :smoke:

I am a slugs only kinda guy.

However, I was thinking of trying some fleshettes.

I wonder how the choke would affect those puppies.

That's an interesting thought, I wonder if the openings in the PolyChoak would disrupt them on the way out? Let me know how that works out for you ;)

I put one on one of my S 12's just for that reason. I have a 19" barrel, and I like the much better now. Slugs ran fine.

The instructions I got with my Polychoak say to run "slugs" with choak wide open, which is the same as no choak. :smoke:

Mine has a slug setting on it, that is what I used.

Yeah at any home defense range(under 25 yards) its not going to do a damn thing for you. at 50 it might, but really look at what your real use is for this. For this kind of duty, your probably better off with a break that might reduce recoil for follow up shots.

Trust me, I did some tests with fleshettes and they are a HUGE waste of money!! I did test them on pressboard which is rather easy to penetrate and at a home defense distance of 7 yards to 12 yards most of the needles bounced off. Turns out most of them hit sideways. The ones that did go in were a mix of stuck in the board with maybe 6 to 9 tiny needles fully penetrating the board. In a home defense situation that can only result in you getting injured by the bad guy, or a lawsuit of some kind. To hell with a giant hole in the wall behind him, if you shoot you have to shoot to kill. If you really want to waste your $$ send it to me!

A choke harms to pattern of a buckshot and a accuracy of a slug gun. Chokes are only for bird shot. They cause deformation in larger pellots. If you have an adjustible one open in wide when shooting the buckshot and slugs.

'Bounce12',

Even if you tested them and they all flew straight and penetrated the wallboard just like you wanted I would not use them in self defense. I think it would be kind of like using a cannon or flame thrower, in that the force used to protect yourself was far beyond what was necessary to stop and deter an intruder. In other words they (or their surviving family) would probably sue you and win.

This is the same caution used by Police departments who will not allow their officers to use reloads in their "main carry firearm".

louielouie

Trust me, I did some tests with fleshettes and they are a HUGE waste of money!! I did test them on pressboard which is rather easy to penetrate and at a home defense distance of 7 yards to 12 yards most of the needles bounced off. Turns out most of them hit sideways. The ones that did go in were a mix of stuck in the board with maybe 6 to 9 tiny needles fully penetrating the board. In a home defense situation that can only result in you getting injured by the bad guy, or a lawsuit of some kind. To hell with a giant hole in the wall behind him, if you shoot you have to shoot to kill. If you really want to waste your $$ send it to me!

Flechettes have to be released from a Sabot to stabilize worth a crap.I bought a bunch of those Sabot Designs Flechette rounds and they actually flew and penetrated and didn't yaw all over the place losing their energy but the end result is that it's inferior to buckshot at close range and inferior to slugs at long range.

The cheap flechette rounds lose so much energy trying to stabilize that you might as well thrown them at an enemy with your hand,LOL