worth converting a non dimpled receiver?

Have a 762 for years, and thinking of converting until I read about the dimpled, vs non dimpled, should I sell and get a dimpled to convert? Would like to hear some pros and cons, also which gas tube should I get? thanks

Bill

Don't be gay,those dimple nazis are trying to win a beauty contest and dimples don't mean a hill of beans and in fact I think I like the non dimpled receivers better.Convert that sucker and let the dimple people waste their money on the hunt for the perfect Saiga while you convert the one in your hands ASAP

People who are all nutty about "dimples" are just goofy. It's 100% cosmetic and it doesn't really even look that good, IMO.

izhevsk-bros.jpg

Mine doesn't have dimples and it looks just great converted.

Also, SOPMOD, I realize you were frustrated, but using a slur for homosexuals to show your distaste for something is unnecessary.

Edited by Big Boss

Yeah, don't use the word "gay" like that, SOPMOD.. it's insensitive to butt-pirates. :D

In my experience dimples are not completely cosmetic but they're hardly critical either. I've owned a non-dimpled GP WASR 10/63 that fit mags just as well as my dimpled SGL20. Both have zero mag-wobble. I think dimples are a slightly more solid way to stabilize the magazine in the receiver than welded-in plates are, (since the dimples are part of the receiver), but it's so slight a difference that it doesn't really matter.

Imo, convert the rifle you've got, jeepranch. Going to the trouble of selling yours, then finding a good price on a dimpled one, then waiting for it to be delivered is not worth it. Also, if you did that, although the new rifle may have dimples, it could always come with some problems that the rifle you own does not suffer from, (canted front sight etc). A rifle in hand is worth 5 online. ;)

Who cares about dimples? Real full auto RPKs, many don't have dimples. My Siaga doesn't have dimples, and has almost non-existant mag wiggle. 500 rounds this month with milsurp of unknown parentage and modified factory (10 round to 15 round) with zero malfunctions. Shot a 3/4"x 1/2" iron sight group at 25 yards, with no dimples.

CONVERT!!!!!!

Yeah, don't use the word "gay" like that, SOPMOD.. it's insensitive to butt-pirates. :D

In my experience dimples are not completely cosmetic but they're hardly critical either. I've owned a non-dimpled GP WASR 10/63 that fit mags just as well as my dimpled SGL20. Both have zero mag-wobble. I think dimples are a slightly more solid way to stabilize the magazine in the receiver than welded-in plates are, (since the dimples are part of the receiver), but it's so slight a difference that it doesn't really matter.

Dimples and plates have zero to do with magazine stability.

Neither extend far enough into the interior to have any contact with the magazines.

They are both used for strengthening, and both have decades of history behind their usage, so the "gotta have dimples" crowd is simply ignorant about "it looks more proper"

It is how the magazine well opening is shaped that has everything to do with magazine stability, which is why a hogged out WASR mag well can allow mags to flop around like a dead fish.

Look,I have nothing against gays personally and I even know a few gay people that are otherwise failry normal stalwart citizens but I have been using the word "gay" to mean effete,vain,lacking substance and generally silly for 30 years and it's a little late for me to change that now and it's less a term of hostility than a dismissive phrase meaning someone sould "get serious" or "lighten up" not like I am declaring jihad on them,LOL

There are far worse things a person could be than "gay" even by my Bronze Age Biblical Morality's standards (usurers,oppressors,blasphemers,thieves,pedophiles,rapists,pawnbrokers,tax collectors,disrespectful of old people,incestuous hillbillies,showing favor to the rich in judgment,bearing false witness,ect)

I've had my non-dimpled 7.62 Saiga for quite a few years now, and a few thousand rounds through it. Never had a mag-wobble problem with it. Didn't even know it was an issue that people worried about.

So now that I do know, do I have to sell my faithful old Saiga and get something prettier if I wanna hang out with the cool kids? Nahhhh - I think I'll just keep pouring rounds through it.

:P

Somewhere in a sticky, there is some info about dimpled receivers not having the PG hole cut in the receiver. The non-dimpled don't have that issue. So, I never went out of my way looking for a dimpled receiver and have done all my conversions with the non-dimpled. I've never had problems with mag wobble issues or with reliability and if it non-dimpled but easier to convert, it's OK with me.

Non-dimpled Saiga owners UNITE !!

Somewhere in a sticky, there is some info about dimpled receivers not having the PG hole cut in the receiver. The non-dimpled don't have that issue. So, I never went out of my way looking for a dimpled receiver and have done all my conversions with the non-dimpled. I've never had problems with mag wobble issues or with reliability and if it non-dimpled but easier to convert, it's OK with me.

Non-dimpled Saiga owners UNITE !!

My most recent non-dimpled Saiga has the PG hole gut and the forend retained notch cut already

My first Saiga is a .223...non-dimpled and has the p g hole out. My second Saiga is a x39...dimpled, and has the p g hole also. I won't not convert the 223 because it doesn't have dimples, as a matter of fact it is in the process of a conversion at this moment. Both are really great rifles and I wouldn't part with either one of them for anything! Oh yeah... my third Saiga is .308...alas It is absent from home.....Daddy said if I would let him play with it he would whittle me some new Black Walnut furniture for it.....whaddya think I said? LOL

Dimples and plates have zero to do with magazine stability.

Neither extend far enough into the interior to have any contact with the magazines...

That's not accurate. The dimples do make contact with the top of the sides of an inserted magazine, and help to stabilize the mag along with the magwell opening, (which is more important).

Edited by post-apocalyptic
That's not accurate. The dimples do make contact with the top of the sides of an inserted magazine, and help to stabilize the mag along with the magwell opening, (which is more important).

Care to wager on that?

Care to wager on that?

Steel mags leave contact marks on the dimples inside the receiver, so I don't know what there is to debate. It's quite clear that they play a role.

As for a bet, I don't really see how anything could be proven either way over the internet.. or how anyone could be held to such an agreement.

I've got one dimpled x39, and one non-dimpled. I paid the same price for both. I converted the non-dimpled and the dimpled has remained in factory configuration (for now. It actually just pretty much sits in my safe, because I always grab the converted for sessions).

So is it worth converting a non-dimpled? Of course! Why wouldn't it be?

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a dimpled receiver. I wasn't even looking for one, but when I got my second x39 home from the gun shop, it had them.

(Also, for what it's worth, the "older" x39's with dimples almost never have a PG hole already cut)

Yea, SOPMOD, that was pretty distasteful to refer to peter- puffin', cum guzzlin', rump ranger faggot as gay. Please be more sensative towards these homos.

I guess the politically correct way to refer to corn-holing, ass-ripping, ball-jerking, cum-splashing, swish-queens is "GHEY"??? Lol.

Seriously though - I have one Dimpled and one Non-dimpled Saiga. Converted them both. Honestly, my dimpled reciever fits the mags a little tighter than the non-dimpled one. I just chalked it up to slight manufacturing variances. I dunno.

Edited by gothchick