Just picked mine up today. Stripped it to clean it. Made the mistake of taking out the part that has a spring on it that is connected to the magazine release.

Haha, anyone know a simple way to get it back in? That spring is strong, and I don't want to ruin the gun trying to get it back in.

Guess I would've been better off leaveing that part greasy. The amount of goop in there was insane.

Oh man, I dont have any links handy to give you. Does anybody have a few of the good CZ52 links handy?

You got one of the best pistols in the world IMHO. Once you get used to all the quirks, you will feel very good with it. There is a website that sells all the goodies for that pistol including a good fireing pin that replaces the brittle one. Have fun and enjoy that bad boy!

Hmm, well, I finally figured it out.. it requires two ppl, a pair of wire cutters, and some precision strength. :P

WOW. I will NEVER take that part off again.

Have no ammo for it yet though, gonna pick some up this weekend. Local gunshop doesn't have any. They do have a new CZ52 though, came in from an estate, looks brand new. $130 OTD, but without an extra mag. Hmmmm..

Think I need to do something to those grips.. some kind of coating or something, they're not only hideous, but not too comfy. It's a lot heavier pistol than I thought.. but, that's good. I'll probably invest in a new firing pin, even though I dunno anything about the one in there. And, I'll modify the holster it came with with some scissors and leather thread. ;)

Not bad for $101 shipped. +2 hours of cleaning. First in hot soapy water, then with a brush and some gun cleaning stuph. Then some rubbing down to remove too much oil and etc.

Next time you need to get cosmo off a gun use Lemon Oil.

Yup, the standard stuff you'll find in the Wood ReFinishing Isle at Home Depo. Stuff works like magic.

You should also look into getting a replacement for the firing pin. Stock sucker is made of cheap / fragile metal and will break and break quickly if dryfired.

Enjoy the CZ, they're a LOT of fun. If you're into older guns like this, you should look into getting your C&R lic. Quick, easy, 30 bucks for 3 years and you can get things like SKS's, Mosin's, and CZ-52's shipped DIRECT to YOUR door. The CZ-52 can be ordered for 99.00. Give it some thought!

Congrats on purchasing the "best designed useless piece of crap, ever". If you have any engineering training, physics, mechanics, etc. I'm sure you will be very impressed, assuming you aren't already, with the way this pistol functions. I must admit, I have a soft spot for roller-locked weapons. Even more impressive than the barrel/slide assembly though, are the safety features. The manual safety serves as a decocking lever when pushed up from the "safe" position, the hammer rests a short distance from the firing pin, the trigger won't release the hammer unless the slide in all the way in battery, and the firing pin won't move unless the slide is all the way in battery. Altogether it's very well designed pistol. Now that I've said this, I feel I should explain the "useless piece of crap" comment. 1. The ergonomics of this pistol were seen to by someone who thought that "ergonomics" was "the study of what makes people go: 'ergh....'." 2. The sights were obviously inspired by the Luger, which is great for point shooting (ie. ignoring the sights), while the CZ 52 isn't. 3. The trigger is even worse than most 'standard' military triggers. 4. The magazines don't drop free. 5. The magazine release is in just about the most awkward place it could be. 6. The magazines can fall apart while you are shooting. I've never had that problem with ANY other magazine fed weapon. 7. Considering the relative size and power of the cartridge, it holds far too few cartridges. 8. The firing pin breaks. Why does the firing pin break? It's not like this is a rimfire cartridge for crying out loud! 9. This is normally where I would put down that a weapon is "ugly", but I can easily ignore ugliness in a military firearm. For that reason, there is no #9.

All told, I love the CZ 52. It's accurate. The recoil is pretty close to the 45 ACP, but still managable. It's cheap to own and cheap to shoot (last I checked anyway). Besides, it's a really neat gun.

Feel free to ignore any/all of this, I just felt like posting something.

Any good links to people selling them?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/ ( Questionable Cust service)

http://www.classicarms.us/ ( Who I'll be getting my next CZ from )

http://www.interordnance.com/

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ (Honestly a 'hit 'n miss' reputation for quality, but they've done good by me)

As for grips, checkout www.gunsnet.net and lookup a user "Zee". Guy will make ANY color (or color combo 'swirled') you like. Perfect reputation on that board.

http://www.makarov.com/cz52/ is the main resource site.

I've never heard of the magazine falling apart problem.

Do a bit of reading... TEST your decocker! Only unintended discharge I've ever had was with a CZ-52. Round in the chamber, moving the safety from "off" to "safe" and hit it too hard. Swung up, activated the decocker, hammer went down, gun went off, I went "What the!", range officer loaned me a Glock to finish the CHL test with.

Yes. Most of the time it will break on the first or second time... But some have held up to 3 or 4 dry fires before breaking. This is because of some alloy / metal thing that I do not understand... One of those know it all metalergist type guys could tell you all about that.

This is a simple replacement. The good quality pins are available from most of those very helpful sites that MI5A4spr listed (thank you) And that will solve the problem once and for all.

I posted about this pistol in an earlier thread. I dont have one anymore.... But I love it. Its tough as nails, heavy, and can take thousands of rounds through it and still be a reliable carry piece.

Oh, hes right about the Decocker though... I wouldent use it at all if I dont have to. It was a good idea, just not a very effective one. Who really needs a decocker anyway? lol. :rolleyes:

Well, I ordered a 1224rd case of ammo for it, so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Umm, I did notice that one magazine causes the gun to not stay in the locked open position, not sure whether to modify it or just trash it and get a new one.

So far I'm happy though, it's all good.

Wow. Thank You Sir!

Hey, np, I was a newbie to 'em once and needed similar questions answered. Glad to be able to assist.

Like I said above, if any of you all are into older guns like this, you should honestly get a C&R lic.

BIG savings on guns (but you'll go broke ordering 'em straight to YOUR doorstep)

:super:

I've got my C&R, but unfortunatly here in MD (the so called 'free'state) ALL handguns mus go through a FFL. 7 day state mandated wait and one in 30 day period. This also applies to 'listed' long guns-anything that was on the AWB. I wish I could C&R a pair of CZ52's, and one in 9mm (some of them came in 9mm parabellum). You can get 9mm barells for $90 and convert them yourself.

G O B

Really? Damn. So far I've bought 3 CZ52s. :P

All in one month.

2 from AIM Surplus, and I got one from an Estate sale, in like MINT condition($130 OTD). ;)

The one I got from estate had only 1 mag, but that's ok, it's in SUPER condition. I'd fire it right now if my ammo was here. The other ones I will get checked out first(from AIM).

Buying some extra mags will get pricey, but.. you cannot go wrong for $102 shipped, with 2 mags, holster, lanyard, and cleaning rod. A new barrel(if needed) is $25, new magazine $25, new firing pin, $15 I think? Dont remember.

Plus the round automatically penetrates class II armor? Hmm.

Methinks some steelcore rounds will be in order here.

I don't want to fully break down these pistols from AIM to degrease. What should I do? Spray some WD40 in every crack? HAHA

I'm telling you

Lemon oil

Trust me on this one The stuff goes through cosmo like a fat man through a wopper.

1 rag, 1 old tooth brush and a bit of Lemon Oil and yer all set.

I had 7 CZ52's...all 3 yrs in black

All 3 yrs in gray...plus an extra black.

Decided that was too much...just have the 3 yrs in gray and one black.

The original grays beat the rearsenal blacks hands down...

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just bought one and I love it! Sweetest pistol I've ever held. To me, it's almost like the predecessor to the FN 5seveN, ie. "assault rifle in your pocket." The thing is effective and ACCURATE out past 100 meters, fires an extremely hot round, has a flat shot trajectory. Dang, I love it. Think I need another one...