Lots of police checkpoints in the south subs of Chicago the last two days.

I figure they are gearing up early for the holiday weekend.

Had one yesterday where they had the typical "Safety Check" signs up and

they were looking at seat belts.

Something strange about the one I went through this morning though.....

There were signs up for "Road work ahead" with a few guys in work vests

just standing around not doing much of anything. Got to the front of the

line (eventually) and there were squad cars in the median strip with a cop

pointing some kind of little yellow device at each car as it passed. It was

about the same size as a key FOB (lock, alarm remote) and bright yellow.

At first I thought he was holding one of those mechanical clickers to count

cars, but then he seemed to be very deliberately pointing the device at each

car/driver as we passed by.

People were not happy about the delay, traffic was backed up for miles on a

4 lane highway while they were doing whatever.

Question for LEOs........

What was the little yellow device?

My guess was maybe a device to wirelessly read VIN numbers?

A camera remote to take a pic of each driver (although no need to point the remote at the car)?

Some side notes:

I've also seen some unmarked cars around with the camera on the rooftop

of the car that looks at plate numbers and runs every plate it sees in real time.

I saw that tech on TV and now it's being used locally here in south subs of Chicago.

I also saw an unmarked car at a rail crossing nearby. The cop was wearing a

dark tactical type of uniform with no ID at all, no badge or patches. He was also

looking at seat belts. Only saw him the one day.

I don't wear a tin foil hat or anything, I just watch the guys who watch us. :)

I honestly have no idea what it is, they are coming out with new technology all the time. Why didn't you ask? It should not be a secret.

I honestly have no idea what it is, they are coming out with new technology all the time. Why didn't you ask? It should not be a secret.

They had everybody narrowed down to one lane with a long backup.

By the time I got to the front of the line, I was glad to be moving again.

I was late to my customer appointment because of that mess.

Funny you mention that though..... as I was driving home, I thought that

maybe I should have pulled over and asked about it. Then I figured I'd

likely have been detained for being a wise-ass or something.

I had one more thought on what it could have been..... radiation sensor?

I've seen articles about DHS/State Police using those at weigh stations

looking for nuclear materials.

It sounds like a radiation detector. Although you don't need to "point" them at a vehicle many people do. In my experience they are very good for detecting cancer patients returning from radiation treatment and other similar terrorist threats.

This device was it about 6 inches long x 4 tall x s wide bright pretty yellow if so its a zombie brain indicater j/k its more than likely a gama rad detector to find thouse nukes that u have been smugling into work on your daily commute

None of those describe themselves as usable on moving traffic though if you were blazed up it just might detect that. I would go with the drug sniffer as most likely. Did they stop any one?

its a rad detector just went threw a ck pt in dwn baton rouge they had one out doing the same thing a lot of plants around here gas refining and stuff like that by the plants they have the detectors onside of the road with a mobil camera so they know if some one comes near the plants with nukes but no one notices it unless u know its there but yeah its a hand held rad detection ck pt

yeah that's what this guy had I worked for a guy who installed the stationary units on the roads by the plants but what u might not have noticed is the enforcement team around the corner in the black yukon I knew one of the fbi guys and stoped to talk for a bit yeah its pretty crazy

yeah that's what this guy had I worked for a guy who installed the stationary units on the roads by the plants but what u might not have noticed is the enforcement team around the corner in the black yukon I knew one of the fbi guys and stoped to talk for a bit yeah its pretty crazy

All I've ever seen them search for is sportscars. I've only gone through one, but they pulled over an AWD eclipse, a vette, a camaro or two, and a mustang or two. I forget which there were two of there, but whatever. It was pretty obvious who they wanted to harass.

its a rad detector just went threw a ck pt in dwn baton rouge they had one out doing the same thing a lot of plants around here gas refining and stuff like that by the plants they have the detectors onside of the road with a mobil camera so they know if some one comes near the plants with nukes but no one notices it unless u know its there but yeah its a hand held rad detection ck pt

I think the one you saw was for detecting people from Livingston Parish!

Was knocked offline by telco so I couldn't answer questions.

Nope, I didn't see that they had anybody stopped.

I didn't think current Illinois driver's licenses had RFID in them, but that may have started.

My search for the answer to that question brought up interesting terms like "EDL" and "WHTI"

in my Google searches. Looks like the EDL is the new National ID Card for now.

Those initiatives were supposed to be for travel into the US and not travel within the US.

Interesting that they can check IDs now without asking you or stopping you, and without your knowledge.