Are 3 ports ok?

Ok my S12 is serial h0844****

And it has 3 ports that are not obstructed, the dental pick goes through fine, I keep reading that the S12 should have 4 ports?

My guns cycles all buck shot, and all high brass fine, I have not tried low brass, should I be concerned or get it changed to 4 ports? I had a few teething problems when I first got it but not anymore with all high brass. Will it foul more or be more finicky than a 4 porter?

Edited by krusader

Remove the gas plug and count your holes. From what I've read, three ports is standard on the newer run saigas. However, I purchased a saiga with two ports and it did not even come close to cycling Federal low-brass loads. But if you have not modified it, just call Cadiz gun works and ship it off for warranty work at no charge.

3 unobstructed ports are fine.. and seem to be the new standard.

Yup. I remember reading that BVamp said he was told by Clyde that this is how the current S12's are coming in, and have been for X amount of time.

Mine has 3 unobstructed holes and had slight cycling problems to begin with. After reading BVamps tip in another thread, I got it working fine.

My early 2008 S-12 came with 4 ports. It would feed slow initially about 10% of the time. I gave the bolt face a really quick 600 grit polish and it hasn't choked since.

My 2009 gun came with 3 ports. I test fired about 25 rounds through the factory mag with a mix of 7.5 federal and #8 remington. It shot them all except the initial shot tested on the heavy load.

I have since converted the gun and added a gunfixer plug (factory puck) and put 250 rounds through it. It choked twice on some federal #8. Nothing serious, just slow to chamber. I again did a quick 600 grit bolt face polish and ran another 100 through it without a single issue on gas knob setting 3. I even helped a friend eat up 20 rounds of winchester bulk and it went through those without issue too!

Like with everything with these guns. You might have to do a little tweaking, but with 3 ports it shouldn't need much.

The Gunfixer know from MDarms is a fantastic part that I recommend for anyone with an S-12.

My S12 has 4 ports(converted). Friend just got a brand new one with 3 ports(stock).

Cheap Rio Low recoil 9pel 00buck

cycles both in 1 & 2 settings in mine

Cycles only in 2 in my friend's

Ranger low recoil 9pel RA1200 00buck

cycles both in 1 & 2 settings in mine

doesn't cycle in any setting in my friend's

Ranger low recoil slugs RA12RS15

cycles only in my 2 setting

didn't try in my friends...

Other than polishing the bolt is there any other recommendations for my buddy's shotgun? Convert maybe? Guessing the G2 won't help this issue though.

Other than polishing the bolt is there any other recommendations for my buddy's shotgun? Convert maybe? Guessing the G2 won't help this issue though.

He has a few options:

He should get the gunfixer gas adjuster from MDarms. This a great part and allows one to change settings without a tool. Useful even in a gun that already runs 100% IMO.

Cadiz offers warranty work to make guns run 100%.

CSS sells a reduced power action spring.

Polishing the bottom of the bolt, and the hammer face might help it cycle easier. Polishing the bolt face won't have any effect on ejection. Also, grease the rails and put a little grease on the hammer face. Polishing the bolt face allows the new round to chamber easier.

would a 25% lighter hammer spring help this problem?

It might. Usually it's the combination of fixes that will make your saiga 12 to function properly.

I did polish the bolt, trigger face, and rear of the bolt carrier. Replaced the mainspring, recoil spring, & gas plug. And now I can use any shotshell without any problem.