My wife and I went to McDonalds tonight to eat while the kids were busy doing other things. We were about half way done with our meal when all of the kitchen staff began running for the exit. I also heard some popping noises. My beloved, who was closer to the door, took off running, but for some reason I was not concerned. I decided to look and see what all the commotion was about. I looked over the counter and saw smoke, so I then quickly decided that I, too, should forsake my double quarter pounder and leave the premises. Everyone evacuated and after about two mintues they gave an all clear and we went back in, finished our burger and left. I don't know what caused the problem, I guess it was just a grease fire flare up which quickly went out.

I don't know what to think about my reaction. I was not scared one bit. I think I rationalized that I could size up the situation and act accordingly, so I did not feel compelled or rushed to "run" out the door.

Do you think this was foolish, or maybe just a normal reaction. I don't view it as brave, because I did not find it a fearful situation. However, my wife was rather mad at me for not immediately sprinting out the door at the very first sign of any sort of commotion.

She was shaking and obviously upset, and I just wanted to finish my fries. :eek:

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

I should add that the staff at McDonalds had only one thing in mind, "look out for number one." They offered no help to the patrons, no information, no apology, nothing. I guess I should not be surprised.

With hindsight, there was an elderly lady next to us, and I forgot to offer her help. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but no harm, no foul tonight as she got out just fine on her own.

WJ

I should add that the staff at McDonalds had only one thing in mind, "look out for number one." They offered no help to the patrons, no information, no apology, nothing. I guess I should not be surprised.

I can't say I'm surprised either.

You might want to make a call to McDonald's corporate and tell them that they should instruct their store managers to clear out the customers if they feel there is a need to evacuate the restaurant. The suggestion would probably mean a lot coming from somebody in your line of work.

This story triggered my memory of this event for some reason:

I think I would have gotten my wife and kids out then return to see if anyone else needed help to get out. Then go in to see what the problem was and if I could help.

I was stationed in Okinawa and came home one evening with my family. I could see flames thru the kitchen window of the neighbors house across the street. I ran over to see what was happening, just the kids were home and somehow they started a grease fire. When I opened the door I told the kids to get out and then ran to the stove and smothered the flames. I then set up a fan to blow the smoke out. Took the kids to my house to wait for their parents. Screw the house, the kids were my first thought. The parents were glad to see their kids were OK.....

You don't think you just react......

I think you just recognized the situation for what it was. Something happened that was cause for concern, but it wasn't a catastrophy. Everyone around you was panicing which didn't in itself cause you to panic, which is good. It sounds like it was obvious the building wasn't going to explode or anything so I see no reason why you needed to necessarily bolt for the door immediately. I think people that are rational tend to pick up on subtle clues as to the seriousness of the situation, even if they don't know exactly what is happening, whereas others just immediately go into panic mode.

I was on a bus down in Mexico back in the 80s and we were on a pretty steep mountain road and suddenly we blew a front tire. The bus swerved everywhere and seemed to pick up speed. Everyone was just screaming and praying and crying and everything else. All I wanted to do was see where we were going so I would know if we were going to hit something head on or go off a cliff and brace the best I could for either one. I'm glad the bus driver didn't panic. He manged to get the bus stopped after about a half mile of sheer terror. My point is that panic doesn't help, you have to think and act rationally to give yourself the best chance to survive and I think thats what you did.

Sounds like a good response to me, and if someone wanted to mow down a bunch of people by forcing them into an open but small area by creating a disturbance for them to run from and then killing them as they came out, they wouldnt have gotten you. An important thing alot of people forget is that running from danger, does not necessarily mean you are running to safety. A much better idea is to always stay calm, and size up your options.

the manager should be fired for not calmly asking the customers to leave as the emps went out the back door

when I was in the food business, at any level, this is what should be done.

if they ran from the grease trap catching fire, the manager shoulda came back in the other door (if the kitchen caught fire and they hit the panic button) and TOLD you to get the fuck out.

thats why you should have baking soda on hand to put out grease fires. grease traps can explode if the extingisher system fails.

youd be fired if you were under my command at work. "dining room" or not. its a simple "OUT OUT OUT THERES THE DOOR< JUST GO RIGHT NOW" works, even if you scare the people.

grease traps can explode.

Did any part of your mind equate the popping noise with possible gunfire WJ? Or was it a totally different sound?

No, they were pretty subdued. Thinking about it, they were probably more like a crackling sound from a fire. They were not very loud.

Too bad I didn't record it or take pictures of it with my phone. The sight of all those large non-english speaking ladies sprinting (well, sort of sprinting - Moving as fast as they could is probably more accurate) for the door would have been comedic if not for the situation.