I'm wanting to pick up a good hand held flashlight for the nightstand/camping/whatever.

After seeing so many pictures of LED lights and their output, my old Maglite (ya know, the HUGE one you can bludgeon someones skull beef with) doesn't really cut it for me, and I'd like something a little smaller/brighter.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Hand held (read: not those big clunky 11 billion candlewatt monsters)

-Preferably around $50 or under (I don't know jack about lights, so I don't know if that's too small a budget. Let me know.)

-Preferably LED (for battery life and whatnot)

-Something that is good to go out-of-the-box. (I toyed with the idea of a Surefire G2L and getting a drop-in hi-output LED replacement, but don't really want to go that route, if I don't have to.)

-Can withstand the elements. (I don't need to take it 50' underwater, but I don't want it crapping out on me, because it's raining.)

Primary use:

-Nightstand duty, camping, shadow puppets, etc.

Any recommendations? Is my budget too low?

I like the TIABLO line of flashlights. Not because they are the very best flashlights in the world, but because I consider them a great value. You get a lot of flashlight for the money you spend. I have 2 of the A9 models and one of them has withstood being attached to an S12 with no problems. They look solid and feel solid in your hand. Lots of lumens in a small package. Several different models to choose from with different features, but the A9 makes a good weapon light and thats why I chose that one. The A9 has a nice bright defined core beam spot with a nice wide less bright overspill. I think you can find a good light in your price range or a little more.

Tiablo Lights

It's not super bright.. but it throws a 30 ft beam and built like tiny tank....

Runs for days on a single AA

It's my EDC light.... 100% reliable... adds NO BULK to my rig...Hardly know it's there... and it IS ENOUGH light to accomplish anything you may need to do in the dark....

Fix a flat tire.... find your way through the woods or home... see if the condom broke.....

Gerber Infinity Ultra-M Flashlight about 30 bucks....

opplanet-gerber-gear-0027.jpg

Looks like a good deal, those are all sweet flashlights, I am a recovering flashlight collector,..

Seems like they want that much for one here

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/index.php...mp;currency=USD

and here, a shit storm about it,..of course y'all are used to those,..

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=221644

I bought the UTG led swatforce from CDNN, it's claims 200 lumens. All I know is, DON'T shine it in your wifes eyes. :):):) I just came in from being up on the hill behind my house, some prick is up there in the woods shining a light at the back of my house, and this fricking light will throw out one hell of a beam. Pricks must have heard me crank the 4 wheeler and run. Try # MNT978 or LT-EL338 on CDNN, I think price was about $69.00

Lowe's has a nice tactical flashlight made by Kobalt. It's $39, aluminum, has 90 lumens output with high and low beam and a "persuader" style rim to use as a blunt weapon if needed. I work there and bought it thinking it'd be a piece of crap but was surprised at how nice it was for the money. I abused it on purpose clicking it on and off hundreds of times until I got the plunger to not stay engaged. It still worked you just had to keep the switch pressed down. Luckily Kobalt has a no hassle Lifetime Warranty so I grabbed another one off the shelf and swapped it out in a matter of minutes at customer service. I'll snag a picture of it and post it later, I am up way too late!!

Thanks for all the links and info, everyone. Much appreciated.

Out of all the above mentioned, I'm leaning towards the one jswledhed recommended; the Fenix E20 LED for about $35.

I did some research on it, and it has good reviews and the comparison photos/videos are good.

I'll keep digging around for more info on the others mentioned.

Thanks again.